Super Moderator

Default "Did Gambit Witness the X-Traitor?" & More Long-Resolved Comic Book Plots

CSBG archive of stories that took years, like whether Gambit was the infamous "Witness" to the X-Men's betrayal... or the traitor himself?

Full article here.

The one question I have from UXM#350 I've yet seen answered even after 18 years, is this: Where did Magneto get his information from that Gambit was part of the Morlocke Massacre conspiricy ? :-(

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    The one question I have from UXM#350 I've yet seen answered even after 18 years, is this: Where did Magneto get his information from that Gambit was part of the Morlocke Massacre conspiricy ? :-(
    Gambit's wiki page.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Probably sitting on the sidelines for the entire massacre, planning his #350 revenge ploy, Joseph included, all along instead of stopping the massacre. Good old Magnus.

Amazing Member

Uncanny X-Men #350 is trashed so much by fans, but I actually loved that issue, but I also liked much of the Lobdell/Kelly/Seagle run, which is a highly unpopular opinion to have here. That issue made me love Gambit all the more, because he was not merely a thief with a criminal record, but was now a culprit to arguably the worst crime in X-Men continuity. It also made Gambit's relationship/rivalry with Sinister make all the more sense. Dare I say it, but I also loved Joe Mad's art and the awesome foil cover. Yes, I said it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKINKARUS View Post
    Uncanny X-Men #350 is trashed so much by fans, but I actually loved that issue, but I also liked much of the Lobdell/Kelly/Seagle run, which is a highly unpopular opinion to have here. That issue made me love Gambit all the more, because he was not merely a thief with a criminal record, but was now a culprit to arguably the worst crime in X-Men continuity. It also made Gambit's relationship/rivalry with Sinister make all the more sense. Dare I say it, but I also loved Joe Mad's art and the awesome foil cover. Yes, I said it.
    Still think they could have come up with something better than awkwardly squeezing Gambit into the Morlock Massacre. Putting together the Marauders, a history of carrying questionable crimes for Sinister, maybe even Claremont's original intent to have Remy maybe betray them to Sinister would have been interesting. Forcing his character into the MM was just silly. And yeah, still not sure why Magneto was privilege to that information, unless he himself was working with Sinister in some capacity.

That aside, it is a shame that the whole Witness storyline was abandoned. It is just one of those sad things that happens, when a new writer(s) come in and just ignore, whitewash or retcon unresolved storylines rather than deal with them. Even more of a shame, because this is a story that could come back up. Yeah, they killed the witness, and no I don't think the writer who did it even knew much about the character, but he apparently knew the assassination was coming. So there is no reason to think he couldn't have planned ahead to preserve his life. The Winess is a powerful temporal anamoly after all. Whether he would come back or not though, I would say depends on both what happens wih the upcoming Gambit movie, and also how the June series with Deadpool sells.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKINKARUS View Post
    No, I'm with you. I liked it too. And comic books are FILLED with storylines where things are retconned and/or 'shoehorned' into continuity. Welcome to comics. The build-up to what Gambit did was painted as a very bad thing he did in his past, and I think the answer satisfied the mystery.

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Unrelated, but I still want to know the X-Men member working for A.I.M.
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account