Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flamazide View Post
    What exactly is Arkham Knight? I've never really heard of it. I'll google it too, but I also want your opinion on it since you seem to have read it.

I suppose I'll check out the first TPB of Red Hood and the Outlaws and Red Hood/Arsenal. I didn't even know they had a duo together. That's interesting in itself. I won't make that a priority so I'll check out the other stuff first, but I imagine they shouldn't be too hard to find or expensive so I won't be losing that much if I dislike it.

I'll see if I can even find those comics with his time as Robin. I remember looking for things in that period from DC before and it became a bit difficult.

I don't like a lot of the Nu52 comics. A lot of the changes they made just seem silly to me and I dislike them resetting the entire universe. To me it seems like when they do that everything I read with the characters prior just doesn't matter anymore and I feel that it is more detrimental to potential stories than anything. I would read The Question (Charlie Sage) since he never really appeared that often to begin with, but I think they even did anything with him in the Nu52.
    Try out the first 2 TPB of RHATO. They're fun and enjoyable in a certain way. But be open minded about it and you'll enjoy it even more.

All-New Member

I know I said I was going to buy Red Hood And The Outlaws, but I'm still on the fence. What is it that people dislike about it so much? I know some people weren't fond of the way hey characterized Star Fire but was that it?

I know I said I was going to buy Red Hood And The Outlaws, but I'm still on the fence. What is it that people dislike about it so much? I know some people weren't fond of the way hey characterized Star Fire but was that it?
    That's pretty much the big part. Others are:

-The "My name is...." textboxes were probably not favored
    -Roy was in a characterization.
    -Space arc may not have been liked
    -Ending was rushed due to Convergence and DCYou
    -Tynion issues were not that good. At all.
    -Some just don't like Jason
    -Some thought Jason character was watered down or Graysoned?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    -Tynion issues were not that good. At all.
    The finale and the Zero Year Tie in where imo quite cool.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    -Some thought Jason character was watered down or Graysoned?
    That was iirc more a problem with Batman Eternal and other Batfamily Cross overs.

Starfire was imo in general a problem, she didn't really fit in the stories that were set on Earth, and Jason and Roy didn't really fit in the space adventures. To be honest I really hope that they don't put her back on the team in Rebirth.

The writing is very sloppy. It's heavily reliant on boxes and boxes of narration to explain to the reader what is supposed to be happening on the page, even when that could easily be conveyed through the art. Character voices often get mixed up. It also plays straight with too many 90s cliches, and the writer is too in love with his style of snarky humor that uses a recycled pattern of a character making a snarky sarcastic comment followed by the clarification that said character is being sarcastic. Characterization is often inconsistent, and any character development is often relegated to background exposition rather than shown on page.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Will of the Geeks View Post
    For Red Hood... yeah. As someone said, a lot of his recent stuff is mediocre or terrible. Avoid everything in the New 52 that has Red Hood in the title, it's all awful. His important character stuff comes more from other Bat-books.
    Whether you prefer other writer`s take on Red Hood other than his own title I find that blatantly innacurate. Batma:Eternal is ridiciously tame in character work to begin with, let alone as recomendation to Red Hood.

OP, feel free to read over the following material. If you have any interest in the character at all, you will enjoy most of these, anyway.

Under The Red Hood, both the comic and the animated adaptation.

Red Hood: Lost Days. Solid set piece with actual character work, unlike Eternal.

Red Hood And The Outlaws: Grab at least the first two volumes. Great art, great sequences and again, good character work on Jason, which is what you requested. I personally also enjoy Loedbell`s voice for Roy, but his great touch in character is on Jason even if superficial at times. Loedbell at the very least should be rightfully credited as expanding Jason`s background into a richer theme and unique in the Batman line.

Batman: Arkham Knight comic line as mentioned as a companion piece to the game.

Batman and Robin had nice presentation by Tomasi on the characters involved. To me, with actual superior character work over the main title.

Batman: Inc: Morrison`s brief take on Jason on the final volume is also nice. Not as deep as he previously done before the reboot but it actually feels more Jason than it did before.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 03-08-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Batman and Robin had nice presentation by Tomasi on the characters involved. To me, with actual superior character work over the main title.
    Appart from issue 20, Jason didn't had much focus in teh series, and that issue wasn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Batman: Inc: Morrison`s brief take on Jason on the final volume is also nice. Not as deep as he previously done before the reboot but it actually feels more Jason than it did before.
    Morrison allways feels out of character for me, but I'm in general not a fan of his stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Appart from issue 20, Jason didn't had much focus in teh series, and that issue wasn't that great.
    I disagree but I`ll leave that to the OP. It`s solid writting, regardless. Jason also shows up before and after that issue in more than one entire arc so it bears a mention.

Morrison allways feels out of character for me, but I'm in general not a fan of his stuff.
    Certainly valid, if you`re not a fan of his stuff. It`s too meta sometimes. I tend to love it though, but that pre-reboot material of his on Jason falls in the "too meta" category to me with the miss of his voice not feeling right. It would maybe only work if "Batman" ran along with the Morrison open continuity.

His INC stuff isn`t as challenging but feels better. Jason`s quip to Talia at the end is totally himself.

Extraordinary Member

You he appears in that Robin war arc, but apart from loosing a fight against Damian he doesn't do much and later in Robin Rises he just acts a interchangeable sidekick for Batman like Tim and Barbara.

My problem with issue 20 is mainly how Batman acts, how Jason is written is OK but for me not that interesting.

All-New Member

Finally have time off from work to read something. I've cracked open book one of the Geoff Johns Flash omnibus and it starts off pretty strongly. The very first issue has Captain Cold which is great for me.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    Eh, keep in mind. Cry For Justice and Rise of Arsenal aren't really bad. Most fans on here gravitate towards the happy go-lucky type stories. They aren't the best, but not as bad as people say they are. Just see for yourself, that's the important thing. For Roy, I also recommend Brad Meltzer's JLA, Judd Winick's Outsider & Titans Hunt.
    Good comment on Cry for Justice. I think the real problem is that Cry and Rise were derailed by Nu52 and didn't get to develop into anything beyond the initial shock of certain events.
    Last edited by alton; 03-29-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Good comment on Cry for Justice. I think the real problem is that Cry and Rise can derailed by Nu52 and didn't get to develop into anything beyond the initial shock of certain events.
    Roys Story continued in Titans were he joined Deathstrokes Titans, but that was imo also not that great.

Mighty Member

Roys Story continued in Titans were he joined Deathstrokes Titans, but that was imo also not that great.
    Didn't realise there was a continuation because I don't follow Titans. I'm enjoying Cyborg and dreading the thought that he would return to Titan status. Thanks for the info.