Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wytches

Default wytches

I dont seem to be able to find anything about this...is it over? It had its ups and downs but i read it was going to be turned into a tv series and then i havent gotten anymore issues in a while...
    MY Pull List: MARVEL: Amazing Spider-man, Spider-Man 2099, Star Wars DC: Earth 2: society, Superman, Action, Batman, Batman Beyond, titans, teen titans; IMAGE: Lazarus, Outcast, Southern Bastards IDW: Star Trek: Boldly Go VALIANT Ninjak

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venom2099 View Post
    I dont seem to be able to find anything about this...is it over? It had its ups and downs but i read it was going to be turned into a tv series and then i havent gotten anymore issues in a while...
    I think they're going with a "season" approach much like TV. There are plans for more as far as I know. I think it's overrated but that's me.

Spectacular Member Paulie Blade's Avatar

Yeah, there are definitely plans for a second story arc. I think it was even confirmed how it would focus on Sailor's further adventures. I'm hesitant whether I want to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Mesmer View Post
    Yeah, there are definitely plans for a second story arc. I think it was even confirmed how it would focus on Sailor's further adventures. I'm hesitant whether I want to check it out.
    hahaha i kinda liked some of it but some of it was also pretty crappy....maybe it will get better....
    MY Pull List: MARVEL: Amazing Spider-man, Spider-Man 2099, Star Wars DC: Earth 2: society, Superman, Action, Batman, Batman Beyond, titans, teen titans; IMAGE: Lazarus, Outcast, Southern Bastards IDW: Star Trek: Boldly Go VALIANT Ninjak

Quote Originally Posted by Venom2099 View Post
    hahaha i kinda liked some of it but some of it was also pretty crappy....maybe it will get better....
    I picked up the first arc too, and liked it for the most part. It seemed good; but not as enjoyable as other horror stuff that I'm reading these days. After the arc was over, I thought about it and personally had trouble envisioning how it could hold up as an ongoing; so I dropped it from my pull list. (Your mileage may vary.)
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    I picked up the first arc too, and liked it for the most part. It seemed good; but not as enjoyable as other horror stuff that I'm reading these days. After the arc was over, I thought about it and personally had trouble envisioning how it could hold up as an ongoing; so I dropped it from my pull list. (Your mileage may vary.)
    it mightve been originally conceived as a miniseries, but the sales and the upcoming movie will bring out more....maybe it will be better....

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Mesmer View Post
    If Scott Snyder is coming back for it, I'd def be down. Unfortunately, Sail's dad was really the one that stole the show, so I wouldn't expect it to be better, but I'd still check it out to see how much further they can go with it.

It seemed like the series focused a lot more on the relationship between Sail and her dad, than the explanation and backstories on the Wytches themselves, which is what I would like to see more of.

Spectacular Member

I also read the first arc some days ago and i also liked it, but some things were flawed.

1. I liked the dad a lot more than Sail. I couldn't establish a connection to the character and i am not really interested in her further journey.

2. The more we learn about the wytches, they become less and less scary or terrifying. Around issue 3 or 4 it seems like every mystery has been lifted and they are just generic monsters.

Last I heard it was supposed to be coming back this year sometime....

http://www.newsarama.com/26591-snyde...r-wytches.html

I seem to be in agreement with most of the other posters here.
    Yes, there will almost certainly be a "season 2", and the book is just as impressive as it is a letdown.
    Of course, this is all relative and your enjoyment (or lack thereof) can only be rated by you, but I was disappointed in this book. The story seemed to fall flat to me. I really enjoyed the art though.
    I would pretty much grade it and Outcast the same. B- or C+.
    Not a classic so far by any means, but has the potential to become memorable. (Eventually)

I remember when this preview for issue #1 came out. Am I crazy but I think I remember not seeing this scene in issue #1 or any other issue of the series? I don't have the issues in front of me but can anyone verify that this scene was not in Wytches at all?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=22580

Spectacular Member Paulie Blade's Avatar

Yeah, I don't recall that either.

Quote Originally Posted by daningotham View Post
    I remember when this preview for issue #1 came out. Am I crazy but I think I remember not seeing this scene in issue #1 or any other issue of the series? I don't have the issues in front of me but can anyone verify that this scene was not in Wytches at all?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=22580
    You're correct! They explicitly drew an entirely separate preview to build up hype for the book. It was just to give readers a taste of what the series would feel like.

You summed it up: B-/C+. I was disappointed since I'm a huge fan of Snyder's American Vampire. The problem with Wytches seems to be that Snyder forgot that drawings on a page are never all that scary in and of themselves and need good writing to really elevate them. That prologue scene of the kid ratting out his mother to the coven chilled me, but after that it wasn't terribly scary and even lacked AV's campy sense of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Human4Life View Post
    You summed it up: B-/C+. I was disappointed since I'm a huge fan of Snyder's American Vampire. The problem with Wytches seems to be that Snyder forgot that drawings on a page are never all that scary in and of themselves and need good writing to really elevate them. That prologue scene of the kid ratting out his mother to the coven chilled me, but after that it wasn't terribly scary and even lacked AV's campy sense of fun.
    Well, there's still hope for it going forward. I read the series in "floppy" format, so I don't know if the trade had the articles Snyder did at the end of each issue, but those were actually better than the story for the most part(imo). The comic obviously means something to him, and knowing Snyder, that might mean it takes 2-3 story arcs to pay off.
    As long as it doesn't turn into a story about Jim Gordon becoming a Robo-Warlock, it might be worth sticking around for.