Spectacular Member

Default Does Superman's selflessness come from Survivor Guilt?

Recently, i am reading Silver Age Superman. It is fascinating and interesting and has many sense of wonder. Through reading Silver Age Superman, I noticed that there are many stories featuring Superman's immense guilt and fear for he is sole survivor of Krypton. And, i learned that Superman has been accused of saving people and doing selfless things partly because he feels immense guilty for being the last survivor of his entire planet. In fact, It seems to be correct that editors of Silver Age introduced psychological inner conflict including Suvivor Guilt into Superman.
    So, I have a question for people in this forum. Does Superman's, especially Silver Age Superman's, selflessnesss come from his Survivor guilt? Did his immense guilt make Superman save the day, and do many selfless thing like death of parent made Bruce Wayne Caped Crusader? What do you think about it? Please enlighten me.
    Last edited by catman; 02-29-2016 at 04:18 AM.

Astonishing Member

No. The survivor's guilt stuff was a red herring. He pointed out to Supergirl once that his desire to save Earth wasn't because he seeing it as doomed like Krypton, but because he saw the beauty of earth as worth saving. That was at the end of a story in which Supergirl and the Kandorians had tried to gaslight Superman based on the fact they thought he was motivated by survivor's guilt.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    No. The survivor's guilt stuff was a red herring. He pointed out to Supergirl once that his desire to save Earth wasn't because he seeing it as doomed like Krypton, but because he saw the beauty of earth as worth saving. That was at the end of a story in which Supergirl and the Kandorians had tried to gaslight Superman based on the fact they thought he was motivated by survivor's guilt.
    Is it from Silver Age or Pre Crisis?
    I don't complete reading Silver Age Story TPBs.
    Please teach me which episode.

BTW, off course, i don't think only survivor guilt made him do heroic thing. But, I can't completelly give up thought that his memory of doomed krypton affected his selflessness to some extend. For example, The Jungle Line written by Alan Moore(It is not silver age though) shows how Superman fear the fact that Krypton was doomed and he is sole survivor.
    Last edited by catman; 02-29-2016 at 04:28 AM.