Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Batgirl, #49

Ya, i don't think it did that.

Well, it wasn't very clear for a retcon...

Hmm, well i guess they did. There's quite a bit of holes to it, but ok. They kind of need to follow that up and explain some things then, otherwise i don't really see it holding up.

I haven't read the issue yet, but if this is true...

Dear, Cameron Stewart, Brenden Fletcher and Babs Tarr,

If you ever find yourself stuck on the roof of a building, and there is a demon there named "Gozer", and she asks if you are god...

YOU SAY: YES!

I have no problem with them retconning it, but it isn't the most elegant or clear way of doing it by just throwing in a panel of the Joker during an insane montage; because it has some other implications that they don't bother to address. How was Babs paralyzed then if it wasn't the Joker? Was Babs being paralyzed not real too? Even though most of this run has revolved around a neural implant that allows her to walk and some of the implications therein? If she was never paralyzed, was she never Oracle? There is a little more too it than just, Joker shooting her wasn't real, this is a major retcon that needs a bit more than a single panel's explanation.
    As I said, I don't have a problem with them undoing it. I just think in their excitement to get from A to B, didn't really think through how they went about it, it's a bit hamfisted.

This does make me wonder how they're going to handle spoilers:
    the upcoming animated movie
    end of spoilers, though.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtzberg View Post
    I have no problem with them retconning it, but it isn't the most elegant or clear way of doing it by just throwing in a panel of the Joker during an insane montage; because it has some other implications that they don't bother to address. How was Babs paralyzed then if it wasn't the Joker? Was Babs being paralyzed not real too? Even though most of this run has revolved around a neural implant that allows her to walk and some of the implications therein? If she was never paralyzed, was she never Oracle? There is a little more too it than just, Joker shooting her wasn't real, this is a major retcon that needs a bit more than a single panel's explanation.
    As I said, I don't have a problem with them undoing it. I just think in their excitement to get from A to B, didn't really think through how they went about it, it's a bit hamfisted.
    Thats exactly where im at with this too. And she had to still have been paralyzed, otherwise she would have never met Frankie.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-02-2016 at 04:44 PM.

What was the point? Why are they so smug about it?
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Incredible Member

I have no problem with them retconning it, but it isn't the most elegant or clear way of doing it by just throwing in a panel of the Joker during an insane montage; because it has some other implications that they don't bother to address. How was Babs paralyzed then if it wasn't the Joker? Was Babs being paralyzed not real too? Even though most of this run has revolved around a neural implant that allows her to walk and some of the implications therein? If she was never paralyzed, was she never Oracle?
    I think it's that she was paralysed, but the Joker causing it it was a planted memory designed to mess her up.

Quote Originally Posted by napolid View Post
    What was the point? Why are they so smug about it?
    There's an argument to be had that Barbara's treatment in the Killing Joke took away her agency, what with her treatment in the story and the fact that it wasn't even done as a result of her own superheroics but rather a relation to another character.

Fantastic Member

Wow they just made thing more confusing

Quote Originally Posted by HellHere View Post
    I think it's that she was paralysed, but the Joker causing it it was a planted memory designed to mess her up.
    I can make that leap, but it's a leap over a pretty glaring plot hole.
    Last edited by Kurtzberg; 03-02-2016 at 05:19 PM.

I feel the same way. I want some explanation as to how she was paralyzed then because this seems to create a few plot holes, not just in Batgirl, but in other books as well.

Incredible Member

I can make that leap, but it's a leap over a pretty glaring plot hole.
    Basically. But it's not like we don't have experience with that.