View Poll Results: Which extended Wonder Woman run in the modern era did you like better?Greg Rucka's, Gail Simone's, o

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • I liked Greg Rucka's better

29 36.71%
  • I liked Gail Simone's better

8 10.13%
  • I liked Brian Azzarello's better

33 41.77%
  • I liked all three just fine

7 8.86%
  • I do not like any of the three

2 2.53%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Which extended Wonder Woman run in the modern era did you like better?Greg Rucka's, Gail Simone's, or Brian Azzarello's?

Which extended Wonder Woman run in the modern era did you like better? Greg Rucka's, Gail Simone's, or Brian Azzarello's?

I know all three runs were very popular to their Wonder Woman readers and fans of each of the three writers. I am just curious which extended run resonated more with Wonder Woman readers. Feel free to also share your opinion for either one here.

BANNED

hard to say. I liked that azzarello finished his story the way he wanted (90%). He got the character well, but not the character philosophy and supporting characters. And he never used Steve trevor.

Rucka and Simone got the character, supporting cast and philosophy of the character well. Simone suffered by editorial and Rucka feels unfinished, only middleway of character journey.

I think that Rucka is my fave

Mighty Member

I accidentally voted for rucka but I meant to put Simone. I think she captured the characters voice and world and mood best and to me she always had the best viewpoint for the character. Ruckas girl scout warrior was bit too bland and generic for my taste while Simone made her human and really did make the character come alive in a way no one else was capable of doing.

BANNED

I liked all three...

My favourite by far was Rucka's though, even unfinished as it is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    Rucka feels unfinished, only middleway of character journey...
    It doesn't feel unfinished, it is unfinished. Rucka got removed from the book with almost no warning, just after having launched a bunch of new longterm subplots.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I loved Gail's run, but as was mentioned it was severely hampered by editorial oversight and it showed badly. She had the right voice, she wrote the most solid character of wonder woman. My favorite tho is Rucka. He had the best run, only marginally above Gail. He captured to me what was wonder woman's full world, the Amazons, the gods.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It doesn't feel unfinished, it is unfinished. Rucka got removed from the book with almost no warning, just after having launched a bunch of new longterm subplots.
    dammit DC, I wanted to root for you. The worse part is that the relaunched WW didn't worked, really bad decision.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I went with Rucka. Definitely the overall best of the post-Crisis runs. The Medusa arc in particular was awesome. His Cheetah sucked ass though, but I guess something had to be the weak link.

Simone's was good for the first year or so, but I feel it would have been better if she hand't been bogged down by the Amazons Attack! and other volume 3 garbage and editorial interference. Like, if Rucka had been allowed to do his the way he wanted and Simone jumped on right after, I think what we would've gotten a much better product. I also wish she'd been allowed to do whatever plans she had for Dr. Cyber and Dr. Poison, and other rogues.

Azzarello's is overall much better than everything since Rucka and most of the New 52 books in general, but I still think the best parts of it were the first year when Hera, Hades and Apollo were the antagonists. Once the First Born, Cassandra and Orion showed up, it just dragged and got sort of repetitious.

All three runs had their flaws from the enterprise constraint front as well as each of their respective weaknesses in their approach. However the one that does best by the Wonder Woman and her world is without a doubt Greg Rucka. Who knows the awesomeness we might have gotten had Amazons Attack had gone off the way it was originally planned as well as the fallout from the Maxwell Lord thing. I was really looking forward to the confrontation between Athena Lord of Olympus and Darkseid Lord of Apokolips but instead all was jettisoned and in its place we have what we have today.

Definitely a misstep for DC in my humble opinion.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    All three runs had their flaws from the enterprise constraint front as well as each of their respective weaknesses in their approach. However the one that does best by the Wonder Woman and her world is without a doubt Greg Rucka. Who knows the awesomeness we might have gotten had Amazons Attack had gone off the way it was originally planned as well as the fallout from the Maxwell Lord thing. I was really looking forward to the confrontation between Athena Lord of Olympus and Darkseid Lord of Apokolips but instead all was jettisoned and in its place we have what we have today.

Definitely a misstep for DC in my humble opinion.
    Did azzarello have constraints as well? I thought he said he was given a lot of freedom

Quote Originally Posted by willienotwilliam View Post
    Did azzarello have constraints as well? I thought he said he was given a lot of freedom
    As I understand it there were some things he wanted to do with Orion that he was not able to execute.

BANNED

Azzarello's run blows those two out of the water imo.

BANNED

Sticking with Azzarello for managing to make the whole run without a last moment snafu.
    I very much like Rucka's depiction of Diana, the Amazons and the support cast he both introduced... which sadly vanished with him. But I groaned out loud when he decided to arm the Amazons with laser beams to fight the OMAC's... thats kinda like having the GL's drop their rings and attack something with blunt objects in terms of ooc'ness.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Sticking with Azzarello for managing to make the whole run without a last moment snafu.
    I very much like Rucka's depiction of Diana, the Amazons and the support cast he both introduced... which sadly vanished with him. But I groaned out loud when he decided to arm the Amazons with laser beams to fight the OMAC's... thats kinda like having the GL's drop their rings and attack something with blunt objects in terms of ooc'ness.
    What else where the Anazons supposed to do? It at least worked.

Anyway, Rucka for me.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I really like all three.

Azzarello's told the most complete story, but Rucka's is the run I wish had lasted longer.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES