Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Marvel Encyclopedia

Spectacular Member

i really like his stuff. ive always had the sense he bases his characters on people, but never felt he was straight drawing from pictures. i just cant imagine he found a photo reference for a single one of the figures in the picture above this post.

He clearly uses photos of celebrities for reference... Which I don't think is a great idea. If he doesn't though, they have lumpy proportions like the Black Widow.

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    He clearly uses photos of celebrities for reference... Which I don't think is a great idea. If he doesn't though, they have lumpy proportions like the Black Widow.

WOW look at the folds in the neck and ear, definitely tracing

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Please try to trace that

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

It's close enough, that, yeah, some lightboxing or similar was involved. So what, really?

I am more annoyed with how removing the arm and hand makes the lift of the breasts awkwardly sourceless, especially how he exaggerates it, and where it connects to the rest of her body. How the bandana fits to her head, but isn't weighing down her hair.

Still, I doubt that was remotely his concern when doing the piece, so I'd just be critiquing for my preferences.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    It's close enough, that, yeah, some lightboxing or similar was involved. So what, really?

I am more annoyed with how removing the arm and hand makes the lift of the breasts awkwardly sourceless, especially how he exaggerates it, and where it connects to the rest of her body. How the bandana fits to her head, but isn't weighing down her hair.

Still, I doubt that was remotely his concern when doing the piece, so I'd just be critiquing for my preferences.
    Honestly, tracing dosn't bother me. But me being some what new to comics I had no idea people did this kinda of thing, I kinda of thought all comic art was 100% orignal work.

Honestly, tracing dosn't bother me. But me being some what new to comics I had no idea people did this kinda of thing, I kinda of thought all comic art was 100% orignal work.
    I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not but most comic art is original work. Some artists use photo reference and some trace photos. I consider Mike Deodato Jr to be the former where as Greg Land is the latter. Then there are the artists who trace other artists comic work for comic interiors...

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not but most comic art is original work. Some artists use photo reference and some trace photos. I consider Mike Deodato Jr to be the former where as Greg Land is the latter. Then there are the artists who trace other artists comic work for comic interiors...
    I was being serious. Being a newb to comics I don't know much about the creation of comics besides I know someone writes them and some draws and someone colors them. Kinda of exciting to learn all these things, but dissapointing at times

He's hit or miss for me. Sometimes he's way too heavy on the shading. Other times, he is perfection. I assume it relies on the deadlines which Deodato we get.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Ultimate Member

I was being serious. Being a newb to comics I don't know much about the creation of comics besides I know someone writes them and some draws and someone colors them. Kinda of exciting to learn all these things, but dissapointing at times
    You'll learn even more if you ever start drawing comics yourself -- tracing isn't inherently bad when learning, but ultimately you'll probably want to develop your own style, unless your goal is to be a photorealistic illustrator.

Personally, I'm from the Bruce Lee (Taoist) mode of thought that you should "absorb what is useful" and utilize any tool available, and I don't really criticize others for making use of techniques that I might shun, especially when that person is on a deadline and is getting paid to complete a project on time.

Although it's art -- to me it's like arguing whether buying an "assembly line" burger from In-And-Out or Fuddrucker's is worse than making one from scratch -- so long as it tastes good, I really don't care one way or the other... though I'd prefer not to see the "source" of either before indulging.

Anyway, here's something straight from the man himself, if you are interested, though you'll have to search for other videos if you want to see him working digitally on his tablet.

Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-07-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Tommy Lee Jones is the model for Norman Osborn
    Can definitely see that.

And I hear Sharon Stone was model for Moonstone.

Anyway, I love his art. Really loved that Nova (Rider) cover he drew.

I just love his work, I love where he places boxes in such an exciting way, I love the movement in the characters, and the expansive facial expressions to convey a scene (or the clever use of shadow to instil mood). LOVE HIS WORK.

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Yeah I'm not a fan of his stuff either. I think it was his run on Bendis' New Avengers that really tipped me away from his art, to the point where I don't enjoy the book if he's on it, which is pretty rare for me.

I think this is the first time I've seen people say they don't like him, I always assumed he was a Universally-enjoyed artist, so it's good to know I'm not the only one ha.

Mighty Member

His styles definitely changed from his previous work. His Iron Man work looks nothing like this. Personally, I prefer his older work, but I guess for an artist, you never want you work to become stagnant.