Default Supergirl comics suitable for kids?

OK, so lately I have been moderately successful in getting some people at my work (I'm a teacher) into comics, and I'm doing OK with recommending books that suit peoples tastes (although you can't go wrong with Y:The Last Man and Locke & Key was a dead cert to be enjoyed by the Stephen King fan I lent it to, but I digress) but I have a tricky one on my hands now...

With World Book Day on Thursday a colleague of mine mentioned that her daughter (4 going on 5) is going to school dressed as Supergirl. Naturally I was interested in how that came about and it turns out the colleague had decided the TV show wasn't suitable for her daughter, but the naughty grandparents had let her watch a few episodes and she fell in love with it. I suggested maybe she could foster the interest without the TV show with some kid-friendly Supergirl comics.

My question is this - are there any even?! I'm struggling to see a Supergirl comic aimed at a younger audience and so far I've only been able to recommend that she picks up the first digital Adventures of Supergirl to see if that's OK, or maybe just buy Tiny Titans, but that doesn't have Supergirl.

Help?!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

SUPERGIRL COSMIC ADVENTURES IN THE 8TH GRADE

http://www.amazon.com/Supergirl-Cosm.../dp/1401225063

This would be great!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 03-02-2016 at 12:16 AM.

BANNED

For someone that young it's a bit tricky considering DC's limited offering to people of that age.
    Either I'd see if that digital tie in to the show is ok, or maybe I'd be looking at the Superman Family Adventures by the same team that did Tiny Titans (which does occasionally feature Kara).

In July, DC will be releasing a tpb collecting the first twelve issues of Daring Adventures of Supergirl from back in the 1980s. (ISBN-13:9781401263461)

And if you can find them, there had been Vol. 1 & 2 of the Supergirl Archives from DC that reprinted her original appearances starting from the late 1950s/early 1960s. (But those were originally released over ten years ago in expensive hardcover collections.)

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In July, DC will be releasing a tpb collecting the first twelve issues of Daring Adventures of Supergirl from back in the 1980s. (ISBN-13:9781401263461)

And if you can find them, there had been Vol. 1 & 2 of the Supergirl Archives from DC that reprinted her original appearances starting from the late 1950s/early 1960s. (But those were originally released over ten years ago in expensive hardcover collections.)
    There's also a Silver Age Supergirl omnibus dropping in June, which I presume will collect much of the same material as the aforementioned Archives. But it will be on the pricey side.

I think there are two Supergirl: Showcase collections that also overlap in regards to the original Silver Age material, that sell for much cheaper but are printed in black and white.

And your friend and her daughter may want to check out www.dcsuperherogirls.com, which is connected to the 'DC Super Hero Girls' initiative DC announced last spring.
    http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04...per-hero-girls

Thanks for all the help, folks. I'll def recommend that website, and I think Superman Family Adventures is a good shout too. Definitely the right age group, easy to get a hold of and a reasonable price!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    I think there are two Supergirl: Showcase collections that also overlap in regards to the original Silver Age material, that sell for much cheaper but are printed in black and white.
    You are correct; and these stories are appropriate as Suprgirl is 15/16 and these stories are from more "conservative times" 1959 and later.

Major Hoy, I don't think the Daring series would be as good of an idea. The stories are a little more involved and darker, especially the Blackstar storyline.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And your friend and her daughter may want to check out www.dcsuperherogirls.com, which is connected to the 'DC Super Hero Girls' initiative DC announced last spring.
    http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04...per-hero-girls

Do you think Katana's sword steals souls in that version? In all seriousness, I got my niece the Supergirl, Adventures in the Eighth Grade book a few years back and she loved it!