View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Thrilling Adventure Hour: Beyond Belief #3

0 0%
  • Deadly Class #19

7 29.17%
  • The Discipline #1

3 12.50%
  • The Fuse #18

0 0%
  • IXth Generation #8 (of 8)

0 0%
  • Prophet: Earth War #2 (of 6)

7 29.17%
  • Revival #37

2 8.33%
  • Saints #6

0 0%
  • The Violent #3

1 4.17%
  • The Walking Dead #152

4 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weekly Image poll #9 - Disciplinary reading

Welcome back to the weekly Image poll, where we vote for our faves & chat about stuff.

Last week's poll saw the votes split between the many fan-favourite titles, but Black Magick's 5th issue came out on top.

Compared to such a busy week, this time feels rather light in comparison. Here's the rundown: The Fuse solves its double-murder mystery to end a storyline and IXth Generation ends entirely in an oversized finale. That's it.

We're not entirely starved for new content though! Peter Milligan makes a splash debut at Image with The Discipline. This sounds like it contains a lot of sex, death and bad intentions all around. Probably best to not read this on the bus.

243016.jpg

So, what are y'all reading? Has the comics year began well for you guys and gals or are we still waiting for big surprise hits?

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

No week is truly light that contains a new issue of Prophet (my pick of the week). Prophet takes a big 180 from last month's issue, and gets right into the sci-fi weirdness with some beautiful art by Ron Ackins (which appears to be influenced by 90s Image in a way that fits nicely).

The Discipline was ok, but it sort of felt like what it is, which is rejected Vertigo. It was really heavy on the sex and nastiness which felt a bit more gratuitous than I care for, but I might have forgiven it if I wasn't so tired of the 'sexual awakening of a shrinking violet' story. Basically, it's a more interesting take on 50 shades of Grey, but it's still 50 shades of grey.

And this year has been good! I don't know that I've picked up anything new recently apart from Cry Havoc, but I am enjoying all of my ongoings and looking forward to a whole batch of trades coming out in the next couple of months (I finally get to read Secret Wars!).

Pumped for Deadly Class today! I may pick up The Discipline later on if the reviews are good.

Such a light week.
    Walking Dead vs Deadly Class for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    So, what are y'all reading? Has the comics year began well for you guys and gals or are we still waiting for big surprise hits?
    None of the newer Image books have won me over lately. Tokyo Ghost being the one exception for books in their first arc that I truly love. My favorite books this year would be:
    Giant Days (I don;t usually like slice of life stuff, but I love all these characters)
    Death Head (feels like Locke and Key)
    Marvel's Vision (feels more like an Image book than a Marvel series) (yes, I know people say that here almost every week)
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 03-02-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Deadly Class, Revival, and The Walking Dead for sure this week.

Also thinking about checking out The Discipline since it's a fairly light week and March is a light month for me overall.

Nothing for me this week. A thin week generally, tbh, so I decided to try some new series.

Just Deadly Class for me today. First Image book in a few weeks actually. Loved it. Happy to vote for it.

Spectacular Member

Got all my books that were delayed from last week, since that vote is done. It's Deadly Class for me.

Deadly Class was cool, but not enough to stop The Walking Dead's momentum, which earned my vote.

I also really liked The Discipline, which might have earned my vote if it hadn't made the mistake of falling on a TWD week. It was pretty kinky, which I like, without feeling smutty like a Dynamite book.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 03-02-2016 at 05:32 PM.

The Walking Dead gets my vote. I haven't read Revival yet, which is the only other Image book I picked up, but I know it won't be better than the Walking Dead. One of the best issues I can remember in a long time. Lots of exciting new developments in multiple areas and Rick showing that he still has his edge when he gets pushed. Good, good issue.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Really good issue of TWD. Still have to read Deadly Class (definite contender, as always.) and Prophet before I vote.

Revival for me. I like the dream vs. reality stuff, and oh how my heart goes out for Nikki.

As for the question about 2016 - I have to say Marvel is the publisher I've enjoyed most. Going back to the start of the ANAD line in late 2015, I'm digging the Vision, All-New Wolverine, Power Man & Iron Fist. The spider-books, especially Spider-Woman, Thor... and this week it was the high octane debut of the new Black Widow series. (and I'm looking forward to Mockingbird)

DC has fallen off the face of the world for me. Aftershock: I LOVE American Monster from Azzarello and Doe, Dreaming Eagles has been solid too. Dynamite has James Bond to thrill me, and I'm going to try Genevieve Valentine's Xena and Corinna Bechko's Miss Fury.

Image? I've actually dropped a handful. And so far I've not been real knocked out by the newer stuff (the last new book I fell hard for was Monstress). But as long as I have my East of West, Invisible Republic, Velvet, Lazarus, Ellis' Injection and Trees. Plus Pretty Deadly and Revival to look forward to, it's all good.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

Picked up Prophet and The Discipline. Prophet wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent John Bishop View Post
    No week is truly light that contains a new issue of Prophet (my pick of the week). Prophet takes a big 180 from last month's issue, and gets right into the sci-fi weirdness with some beautiful art by Ron Ackins (which appears to be influenced by 90s Image in a way that fits nicely).
    Was thinking same thing. Especially in those panels where four armed prophet is doing the killing, it just has this vibe of 90s. In a way it feels like "new" prophet that was introduced with this reboot will in the end kill prophet that resembles 90s and its kinda fitting.

The Discipline was ok, but it sort of felt like what it is, which is rejected Vertigo. It was really heavy on the sex and nastiness which felt a bit more gratuitous than I care for, but I might have forgiven it if I wasn't so tired of the 'sexual awakening of a shrinking violet' story. Basically, it's a more interesting take on 50 shades of Grey, but it's still 50 shades of grey.
    This is really interesting thing to say considering how many people consider Image to be new and improved Vertigo so this is basically 2 "tiers" below what Image is know for. Either way, didn't like it much and transitions towards the end felt a bit abrupt to me, like some page is missing or something like that.

Crap, I think I forgot to vote last week. Damn. The Goddamn probably would have gotten it. I thought that was its best issue yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    I'm still waiting. Prophet being back has been great. I'm waiting on Casanova to return this year. Not much else has blown me away, but the regulars have been great.

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Was thinking same thing. Especially in those panels where four armed prophet is doing the killing, it just has this vibe of 90s. In a way it feels like "new" prophet that was introduced with this reboot will in the end kill prophet that resembles 90s and its kinda fitting.
    It's weird, normally 90s throwback has a specific style (like that New Avengers artist who got so much hate recently), but this somehow captured the grit, but added a layer of polish and beauty. I like your read though on this coming down to old prophet vs. new. I hope that the place where this issue leaves off doesn't ruin that.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    This is really interesting thing to say considering how many people consider Image to be new and improved Vertigo so this is basically 2 "tiers" below what Image is know for. Either way, didn't like it much and transitions towards the end felt a bit abrupt to me, like some page is missing or something like that.
    I actually meant it literally. It was supposed to be a Vertigo series but they rejected it.http://http://www.comicbookresources...e-image-comics