Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    It's not inflating, and there are tons of examples of Superman's intelligence, it's about what makes sense given the characters abilities. And Wonder Woman should be a genius, she was blessed by Athena.
    Yes indeed. Wonder Woman was blessed by the goddess of strategy herself, a much better mentor for her than Ares if I do say so myself, but I digress.

Super intelligence is a CORE trait of Kryptonians. He absolutely needs to be able to have Super Intelligence in order to challenge the likes of Brainiac and Luthor. If I remember correctly in current canon Kryptonians are a level 8 intelligence while humans are level 3, and Luthor has stated that Superman's intellect is second only to his own.

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    Yes indeed. Wonder Woman was blessed by the goddess of strategy herself, a much better mentor for her than Ares if I do say so myself, but I digress.

Super intelligence is a CORE trait of Kryptonians. He absolutely needs to be able to have Super Intelligence in order to challenge the likes of Brainiac and Luthor. If I remember correctly in current canon Kryptonians are a level 8 intelligence while humans are level 3, and Luthor has stated that Superman's intellect is second only to his own.
    If Kryptonians are at a much higher level than humans how is Lex smarter than Superman? That doesn't really make much sense. Shouldn't it be the other way around where Lex's intelligence is 2nd only to Superman's.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    If Kryptonians are at a much higher level than humans how is Lex smarter than Superman? That doesn't really make much sense. Shouldn't it be the other way around where Lex's intelligence is 2nd only to Superman's.
    oh, that is his hubris speaking higher. lets not forget that luthor pride and arrogance were many times the reason he lost to supes

Luther is abnormally intelligent - but I agree with you - the only thing separating them should be Luthor's disregard for who he hurts and Superman's insistence on saving as many as he can

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    oh, that is his hubris speaking higher. lets not forget that luthor pride and arrogance were many times the reason he lost to supes
    His pride inhibited him in multiple continuities, from admitting that Clark Kent could actually be Superman. Even intellect has a blind spot.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    His pride inhibited him in multiple continuities, from admitting that Clark Kent could actually be Superman. Even intellect has a blind spot.
    So maybe this applies to Superman as well?

BANNED

because being kryptonian doesn't make anyone smarter. this is not how intelligence functions.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    because being kryptonian doesn't make anyone smarter. this is not how intelligence functions.
    It does if you get superpowers from sunlight.

Retired

If Kryptonians are naturally highly intelligent, then wouldn't Superman have that intelligence? I think that's how intelligence functions. Homo sapiens sapiens was presumably more intelligent than Homo sapiens neanderthalensis--and that intelligence has been passed down for generations.

We expect that Kryptonians (Homo sapiens kryptonensis?) were highly intelligent, given their advanced scientific society. And it's possible they were naturally more intelligent than us. Just like Querl Dox (Brainiac 5) had high intelligence passed on genetically.

Of course, that doesn't rule out that Superman also has greater intelligence because of all the power that he has. But if you take your baseline for Superman's intelligence the average intelligence of a Kryptonian, then he has to be at least that intelligent--unless he was brain-damaged on his way to Earth.

That reminds me of the Sand Superman Saga. In that story, Superman did get brain damage when he was powered down--and when he recovered his powers, this brain damage remained. Of course, that was a Denny O'Neil story--and he's not what I regard as an expert on Superman lore. But it does stand as an example where a brain-damaged Superman is possible.

BANNED

Of course Superman has super intelligence, name one attribute, Superman's got them all, in SPADES! he's MORE everything than everyone else. Such is the Kryptonian race, the Master Race. The male ones anyway, Supergirl is not quite as extraordinary is she. You know, 74 years ago Wonder Woman used to be a genius, she invented the purple healing ray, found the L-3 vitamin..however intelligence doesn't become women so she lost hers completely. Now she's but a sword-swinging oaf, and she's more popular than EVER woo hoo! happy days
    Last edited by Pamp_Lusa; 03-09-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Why even follow the character if you hate him so much?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Why even follow the character if you hate him so much?
    I have a love-hate relationship with Superman. He's my waifu, but I hate him, passionately. it's complicated

Fair enough there.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    Oh do tell - how does intelligence function?

Actually intelligence when it comes to aliens can function however it wants because these aliens are fictional creations. There are no rules except the rules the lore makes. And in this case indeed, the general rule is that indeed your average Kryptonian is inherently smarter than your average human being.

With that in mind, Lex is not your average human, and can be used as a rare example in which the intelligence of a human can match that of a Kryptonian if so desired. On the other hand of the spectrum maybe there were not-so-average Kryptonians whom even by human standards were stupid. Its a general thing. In general Kryptonians are smarter than Humans. But the general fact does not have to apply to ever single organism in question.