Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator

Default "Invincible Iron Man" Introduces A New Player To Tony Stark's Game

Brian Michael Bendis and Mike Deodato begin to pave the "Road to Civil War II" with a potentially game-changing issue.

Full article here.

I would be cool with this character if it wasn't so obvious they were killing off War Machine. The page annoyed me more than anything because it could mean Rhodey won't be back for a while.
    We need better comics

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I'm starting to think if I don't look at Marvel for about two years and then come back every single hero will have been replaced with someone else. Marvel really needs to slow down with this influx of new characters, because none of them will end up standing out at this rate. New female War Machine? Ho hum, what's new?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I'm starting to think if I don't look at Marvel for about two years and then come back every single hero will have been replaced with someone else. Marvel really needs to slow down with this influx of new characters, because none of them will end up standing out at this rate. New female War Machine? Ho hum, what's new?
    I have to say, I do hate the way Marvel is building diversity. Instead of continuously replacing long-established characters with facsimiles, why not promote the characters that continue to be underdeveloped. What happened to all of the Academy kids? What about the Initiative recruits? Heck, where are the Runaways not named Nico Minoru? Why not give Cammi a space-faring book?

because no-one read those stories. That's why.

So...is this new girl, who may or may not actually be related to Rhodey, going to be the new War Machine given all the hints to Rhodey kicking the bucket in Civil War II?

Or maybe she's just going to be the new, big, female Iron Man because it doesn't look like Marvel's pushing Pepper as Rescue anymore?

I wonder if this decreases the likelihood of MJ becoming an Iron hero...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiarraHarris7y6 View Post
    True as that may be, it's not like Moon-Girl and Devil Dinosaur is lighting up the charts, and considering how the last War Machine book sold, if this character gets a project I would expect it to sell just as poorly.

True but why not do it the way they are doing the Spider-man line. Peter Parker is still prominent but they've added Silk, Spider-Gwen, Miles and put major emphasis on Spider-woman. Imo that is the clearest success in diversifying the product and it allows characters to have their own identities while still borrowing the huge fanbase that comes with Spider-man.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

I don't think so. Avengers Academy is in 30 Rock!
    Of course there are many comic books fans that read those stories.
    Fans of established characters will usually get disappointed by the replacement.
    Non-fans however will only flock to established names from big screens and small screens.
    Marve's tactics is a lazy way to attract new readers and appease their board members and overlords.
    So it is a simple case of my user name.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

BANNED

Unless this is all a continuous stream of red herrings, Rhodey's a dead man. And I'm not the tiniest bit interested in ANOTHER legacy character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    Unless this is all a continuous stream of red herrings, Rhodey's a dead man. And I'm not the tiniest bit interested in ANOTHER legacy character.
    Here's the thing though. I actually like legacy characters, but it is possible to be a legacy character and still have your own identity. Marvel doesn't seem to want to embrace that idea.

Oh what a world it would be if the New Warriors had been allowed to graduate instead of any old random becoming an Avenger (looking at you Synapse).

How is Rhodey a dead man if an eleven year old is capturing him? Is this Hit Girl who just murders people?

I do wonder how this relates to Road to CWII? Speculation on Rhodey aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    I have to say, I do hate the way Marvel is building diversity. Instead of continuously replacing long-established characters with facsimiles, why not promote the characters that continue to be underdeveloped. What happened to all of the Academy kids? What about the Initiative recruits? Heck, where are the Runaways not named Nico Minoru? Why not give Cammi a space-faring book?
    I disagree, I love the way Marvel builds up diversity. As an African-American you literally have NOOO idea how much life it gives me that Marvel now has several prominent black heroes.

I assume this is the same MIT student that leaked the Iron Man tech online in #1.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeezy561 View Post
    I disagree, I love the way Marvel builds up diversity. As an African-American you literally have NOOO idea how much life it gives me that Marvel now has several prominent black heroes.
    This is the truth.

I've never been into Marvel more than I am now and it's because they've broadened their content. I no longer have to search for characters I like somewhere in the background.