Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill, #1

Maria Hill holds a secret about the cosmic cube fragments in Nick Spencer and Jesus Saiz's "Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill" #1.

Full review here.

I know it's still early but I'm really enjoying this story thus far. I hope it continues to be good.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Astonishing Member

Excellent start with this Issue; not only as to who the Whisperer was revealed to be, but also the number of villians who were restored by Baron Zemo & Fixer.

Bluebird

This looks like a really fun story that might be better than Civil War 2.

No ones started a spoiler thread for this yet. Is that because the book isn't all that entertaining? Maybe it's because it is heavily laden with recaps?

"Much as I liked the voices for Sam and Steve, Maria Hill's dialogue feels a bit out-of-character in its flippancy. She's usually bullishly unapologetic about her decisions, so some dismissiveness is expected, but lines like "We spent a lot of money on in-flight entertainment" or "I looove me some flapjacks" often felt a bit too jokey for her -- or for any character in her situation. Less would have been more with these one-liners."

Yeah, that's my only beef here - Maria was WAY too loose with her words and attitude, and definitely seemed out of character. Again - that was my only beef, because otherwise, it was a fun, good read, and I'm looking forward to more.

I've been very critical of Spencer's Marvel works, but this looks like it could be his first good story.
    I like how they responded to the controversy of the Sam Wilson book being too "liberal" by making a liberal version of the Red Skull named Green Skull. That was a bit meta but still hilarious. "Come on, I thought you guys hated environmentalists!"

I also LOL'd when I realized the break in during the first pages was to watch football.

Am I the only one who thinks Maria Hill is right? If bad guys weren't actively escaping, what exactly is wrong with her solution here?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    No ones started a spoiler thread for this yet. Is that because the book isn't all that entertaining? Maybe it's because it is heavily laden with recaps?
    It sets everything up, but the real fights don;t truly start here, this ends on the cliffhangers that will make all the tie ins be awesome.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 03-02-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I've been very critical of Spencer's Marvel works, but this looks like it could be his first good story.
    I like how they responded to the controversy of the Sam Wilson book being too "liberal" by making a liberal version of the Red Skull named Green Skull. That was a bit meta but still hilarious. "Come on, I thought you guys hated environmentalists!"

I also LOL'd when I realized the break in during the first pages was to watch football.

Am I the only one who thinks Maria Hill is right? If bad guys weren't actively escaping, what exactly is wrong with her solution here?

It sets everything up, but the real fights don;t truly start here, this ends on the cliffhangers that will make all the tie ins be awesome.
    Okay. Thanks for the reply.

I think the Green Skull was introduced before the Dimension Z arc by Remender with Steve Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Okay. Thanks for the reply.

I think the Green Skull was introduced before the Dimension Z arc by Remender with Steve Rogers.
    Oh, that's cool to know. Well, it was the perfect villain to drag out after the Fox News controversy.

Incredible Member

amI going to have to buy all the tie-ins, or will I be ok picking up a couple and then getting the Omega issue?

Bluebird

I still think this ends with Hill deposed as SHIELD Director and Coulson replacing him, alongside his team becoming the core. Synergy and all that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    amI going to have to buy all the tie-ins, or will I be ok picking up a couple and then getting the Omega issue?
    Probably yes, since it'll involved the various Avengers Teams converging into "Pleasant Hill".

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    It seems like each tie in will showcase a different team or hero fighting some specific enemy or enemies, so pick whichever tie ins have the characters you like best, and then read the Omega book for the big climax.

Incredible Member

Ok, thanks. I enjoyed Alpha; the whole brainwashing the villains thing reminded me of Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme.

Incredible Member

I checked this out mostly out of curiosity but I liked this a lot better than I thought I would and genuinely interested to see how it plays out. That said I echo the sentiment that Maria Hill's dialogue seemed too flippant. Pretty much everything she said was snarky and super villain-ish. I suppose we don't know the plans for him but the identity of the Whisperer was somewhat odd although I suppose seeing as it's a Captain America story it probably had to be connected to the franchise.
    Last edited by Orbus; 03-02-2016 at 06:46 PM.