Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    That said, I really want to see a Spider Woman/Black Widow "girls on bike" team-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    You know I'd be up for this!
    I'd read it.

See? That's three copies sold, right here.

I'm sending my "unsolicited submissions" right now.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I just read this issue and it was great! TONS of action and visually stunning panels that flowed well together.

spoilers:
    Can't wait to find out what she stole
    end of spoilers
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

am I the only one here who has not read this book?
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Mighty Member

I liked how they never reveal any hints of what she took from Shield.

BANNED

This was alright, but not worth $4.00. This series is going to the tradewait list for me.

Fantastic Member

Nic review, Hrist! Always a pleasure to read your thoughts on all things Black Widow.

The issue was definitely a good, fast paced read. As you said, it was all action so we still don't know too much about where this is going. I did get the sense that there were subtle details placed here and there by the creative team that would come out more clearly on a second reading (and this issue is fun and breezy enough to read again).

One thing I noticed was her interactions with the SHIELD agents she was fighting aboard the helicarrier. Natasha was contrasted with a big burly man (and even a big burly woman), both of whom seemed to hold her in disdain. It seemed that there was a basic distrust of her among some regular agents, who dismissed her as a dainty little female and were apparently jealous of the admiration she got from Director Hill. Nice way to touch on Natasha's outsider status and the way she's continuously underestimated by others.

Something that didn't seem clear to me was what Natasha did with the gun she pointed at the agent's head. Did it jam on her, or did she hesitate after pulling the trigger halfway? This is interesting to me because it could be a brief moment of compassion backfiring on her, showing how ruthless a spy's life is and why she's been so hardened. Then again, I might be overthinking that panel!

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I'd read it.

See? That's three copies sold, right here.
    Make it 4 copies.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by JimRaynor55 View Post
    Something that didn't seem clear to me was what Natasha did with the gun she pointed at the agent's head. Did it jam on her, or did she hesitate after pulling the trigger halfway? This is interesting to me because it could be a brief moment of compassion backfiring on her, showing how ruthless a spy's life is and why she's been so hardened. Then again, I might be overthinking that panel!
    Yeah, I was curious about that too. My interpretation was that it was out of ammo, which the guy probably knew, which allowed him to sucker punch her. But I think the close up of her pulling the trigger leaves a lot of (deliberate) ambiguity in the sequence. She could have been trying to bluff herself… or maybe she realized that the gun wasn't loaded by how the guy reacted? Lots of possible explanations for what was going through her head at that moment, and the way the panel layout is arranged it's clear this is all happening in like a split second.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    You know I'd be up for this!

You can tell this was co-plotted by Samnee. You can't have an issue that relies so much on visuals to carry the plot without the artist having a lot of input in how the story gets laid out. And this is the kind of action and mood that he, specifically excels in. I've been thinking that it's maybe another weakness with the current Marvel model of constant relaunches… you don't always get time for creative synergy to develop.
    I agree with much of this. There was a level of craft to the pacing and action you don't always get in certain comics. It's actually masterful comic book visual storytelling.

Just read this and all i can say is i was not disappointed. Absolutely love the minimalist approach for this book. Makes me wanna go watch some Bond movies.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Yeah, gonna add my support to how great this issue was. It can't be easy scripting (both writer and artist) a book that's essentially one long chase scene, but they absolutely nailed it with this issue. It's fast and action packed but also keeps you asking "Why is this happening?" throughout the issue, and beyond as it turns out.

I agree that the Waid/Samnee DD run tailed off a bit towards the end but from the notes at the end of the issue it seems that they told their story with DD and were waiting for the perfect project to focus all their efforts on and jumped at the chance to do BW, which can only be good for the book and character. Even with the tailing off, the majority of the DD book was a lot of fun to read and I think that'll transfer over to this book as they continue forward.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Just got my issue today. I love the art. While this issue felt done in one it does open the mystery of why and what she stole from shield. Obviously she is working for the weeping lion like the solits state ao im guessing she stile it for him and is forced to beyray Hill.

I usually like narriation from solo comics. Be ause without gwtting into her head it reada really fast. Hopefully therea a bit more talking next issue so i dont finish as quick. Otherwise excellent start
    X-Men Forever

Ultimate Member

Good issue, BUT:

The last series ended with Natasha quitting SHIELD, but deepened her relationship with Maria Hill considerably. Now Hill is basically giving the okay to kill Natasha, who was maybe the closest thing she had to a friend/confidant. It's a bad time in Hilltown lately, is what I'm saying.

I REALLY hope that there ends up being more to this than it first appears. Because I'm getting really tired of them advancing Hill's character and making her grow, only to then regress her into "uber-jerk mode" shortly after. Knock it off Marvel.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Good issue, BUT:

The last series ended with Natasha quitting SHIELD, but deepened her relationship with Maria Hill considerably. Now Hill is basically giving the okay to kill Natasha, who was maybe the closest thing she had to a friend/confidant. It's a bad time in Hilltown lately, is what I'm saying.

I REALLY hope that there ends up being more to this than it first appears. Because I'm getting really tired of them advancing Hill's character and making her grow, only to then regress her into "uber-jerk mode" shortly after. Knock it off Marvel.
    This is a big problem for Maria in general since she always shows up in a million books at once, but she's never starred in any stories of her own. I mean, I don't think there's an accurate description of Maria Hill that doesn't include the word "uber-jerk" (and for good reason), but a lot of her strongest character work tends to get overlooked.

Having said that, I think they'll pick up on the developments between Natasha and Maria from the last book; their relationship is the most memorable part of that run, IMO. Maria Hill's name has come up a lot in interviews and in the solicits. I'm excited to see where this goes.