Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Miles Morales Spider-Man #2

Quote Originally Posted by LocoSteve View Post

if you don't want to be "something" spider-man. get your own name.

nobody called bucky captain america when he took up the mantle. he was bucky cap.

I think Miles is going to learn past the faux-colorblindness through the course of the story.

Or at least I hope.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    I think Miles is going to learn past the faux-colorblindness through the course of the story.

Or at least I hope.
    Where did you gt that from this?

labeling him like that just makes him feel derivative and he doesn't want to feel like that.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tron View Post
    if you don't want to be "something" spider-man. get your own name.

nobody called bucky captain america when he took up the mantle. he was bucky cap.
    they called him bucky cap on panel?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Where did you gt that from this?

labeling him like that just makes him feel derivative and he doesn't want to feel like that.
    Or, or, he can see that some people will be inspired by the fact that he's black.

The derivative part was in play the second he became Spider-Man while Peter's around. And Spider-Woman. And the others.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Quote Originally Posted by LocoSteve View Post

I believe Bendis is showing a very real world thing. Similar to the topics of how black actors are cast as traditionally white characters, most recent example is Idris Elba being casted as the gunslinger Roland Deschain in the upcoming Dark Tower movie, or the reactions people had to Finn being a "black" storm trooper in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. You will always have people on both sides of the spectrum showing their disdain or advocating their excitement for diversity. But while one side does have their hearts in the right place their message may not come out in the way they were hoping. Even a message of positive diversity and be muddied by unintentional labeling. And while race can't be ignored in some of these issues, making it the focal point can at times be a minefield and could accidently do more damage than good. I think Bendis' message kind of like this, the character of a person first, with their race being a secondary thought. And if you are ever the subject of such a message don't be so swayed by opinions of others and just keep being "you" first and foremost.
    Last edited by Grimm911; 03-02-2016 at 08:42 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

That's bull and you know it. The single time he was called "Bucky Cap" was jokingly by Spider-Man.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Or, or, he can see that some people will be inspired by the fact that he's black.

The derivative part was in play the second he became Spider-Man while Peter's around. And Spider-Woman. And the others.
    To add to this, it makes sense if Miles just want to be a kid hero. I'm just saying with things the way they are these days, it'd be nice to even see kid heroes step up to the plate and try to deal with bigger issues.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    they called him bucky cap on panel?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    That's bull and you know it. The single time he was called "Bucky Cap" was jokingly by Spider-Man.
    I did not specify. My apologies guys. Clarifying I meant by fans in real life. Buckycap was one of the only replacements characters I ever enjoyed and I still called him this. Did not mean in panel.
    Last edited by Spider-Tron; 03-02-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I did not specify. My apologies guys. Clarifying I meant by fans in real life. Buckycap was one of the only replacements characters I ever enjoyed and I still called him this. Did not mean in panel.
    Ok, I'm sorry for pouncing there.

Well, I guess for those who see tumblr as a hive-mind, they're actually split on how Bendis handled the race issue.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

To add to this, it makes sense if Miles just want to be a kid hero. I'm just saying with things the way they are these days, it'd be nice to even see kid heroes step up to the plate and try to deal with bigger issues.
    Yeah I get and I agree it would be nice but I also see why he wishes he wasn't just identified as that.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Ok, I'm sorry for pouncing there.

Well, I guess for those who see tumblr as a hive-mind, they're actually split on how Bendis handled the race issue.
    As it should be. I live with people that are split on this discussion in general.

I don't see anything wrong with it but I understand why someone wouldn't like it.
    We need better comics

Or at least I hope.
    This is what I'm expecting too....

I think Miles is about to get the "wake up call" that a lot of young black kids get around his age. You also can't have Miles exposing any colorblind sentiment given everything Sam Wilson is going through and the fact that Sam has taken on a mentor role with Miles.....Plus Miles dad wouldn't go far that, especially given him background.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    I believe Bendis is showing a very real world thing. Similar to the topics of how black actors are cast as traditionally white characters, most recent example is Idris Elba being casted as the gunslinger Roland Deschain in the upcoming Dark Tower movie, or the reactions people had to Finn being a "black" storm trooper in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. You will always have people on both sides of the spectrum showing their disdain or advocating their excitement for diversity. But while one side does have their hearts in the right place their message may not come out in the way they were hoping. Even a message of positive diversity and be muddied by unintentional labeling. And while race can't be ignored in some of these issues, making it the focal point can at times be a minefield and could accidently do more damage than good. I think Bendis' message kind of like this, the character of a person first, with their race being a secondary thought. And if you are ever the subject of such a message don't be so swayed by opinions of others and just keep being "you" first and foremost.
    Neither the patronizing superiority that is happy to see a man of color doing well or the outright disdain for it comes from a good place of the heart. Both types of people need to look beyond skin color completely when making value judgements. Easier said than done, though, so its good to see this topic broached in the comic.

Bolded part is my favorite part of your quote.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    This is what I'm expecting too....

I think Miles is about to get the "wake up call" that a lot of young black kids get around his age. You also can't have Miles exposing any colorblind sentiment given everything Sam Wilson is going through and the fact that Sam has taken on a mentor role with Miles.....Plus Miles dad wouldn't go far that, especially given him background.

I do want to see how Bendis writes that conversation between Miles and Jefferson