Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    It makes sense Miles' Grandmother would be young his parents both seem/are pretty young.

I'd peg his mom to be late 30s maybe 40. I assume the same for his father.
    Plus there's also the possibility that the grandmother gave birth young as well.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I'm no "gamergate" guy (Internet activism is the new pissing contest.) But I was happy to see Tumblr peeps get a joke thrown at them, especially one that isn't a real stab, just light hearted and realistic. And as someone who's appreciated Miles' general colorblindness, I both enjoyed his initial reactions to being "black Spider-Man" and what I viewed as consistency with his characterization. NOW with that being said I know this is just the starting point. He'll learn a lot no doubt. His opinion will change. And that's fine. I understand, to an extent, why people push away from total "colorblindness." But as someone who doesn't even remotely feel defined by being a WSM, I wonder why others wouldn't also want to be NOT defined by similar characteristics.
    I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Someone not wanting the race (and everything that comes along with it) to be completely ignored doesn't mean they want to be defined by their race. A persons race is just one aspect of who they are, but it also impacts how they interact with society at large.

I don't think anyone would expect you to feel defined by your race as a white male, but that's because you're seen as the default, especially in the United states. For instance, if you were raised in an environment where you were the ONLY white person and you rarely saw someone who looked like you in the media you'd be more aware of your whiteness. But in the U.S. it's not something you even have to acknowledge.

For someone like me though it's something I have to acknowledge at times because I'm not seen as the default. I always use the example that I once won an office raffle, and the prize was voucher for a tanning salon.....I'm a dark skinned black man, what the hell am I supposed to do with a voucher for a tanning salon. The people in the office obviously meant no harm in it, but when coming up with the prize they viewed themselves and their experiences as the default and just assumed it'd be a nice gift for everyone. They ignored the race of every black person in the office and in doing so ignored that what might be cool for them might be utterly useless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by marcotheblerd View Post
    I kind of dont understand the anger from some people about this issue, other than the fact that Miles isnt a real person, and his words were written for him. Other than that, I completely agree with Miles, and it got real personal for me. If I was in his position, I would have had the same thoughts because many minorities have to deal with the same thing in the workplace, and in schools. If you are the only guy in of color in your office, sometimes you hope that it was your merit and skills that got you there, and not because of a quota, or diversity points. Same thing with school. I am a proud black comic book nerd, but I also dont let my race completely define me as a person, and it can get annoying having it brought up alot, even when it doesn't have to be. There is no such thing as colorblindness, no matter what people say. The fact of the matter is, my race is the first thing that people about me, but there is no need for anyone to bring it up. I'd rather be more known for my personality and charisma, and not just being black. So on that note, I identify with Miles wanting to be known as Spider-man, and not just the black one. Even when it comes from a well meaning place, like the girl in the video was doing, it can still be annoying. I just dont want this to become some big thing, where Bendis gets criticized, for having the nerve for a black character to say that he wont be defined by his race. That is not something that is out of the ordinary, and is actually a reasonable reaction from someone of color.

Edit: Now I wouldn't be surprised if there is a later issue, where Miles learns that its not that easy to not be defined by race, and I wouldn't be surprised if he learns a lesson by that. It already seems they were going that way with the cop holding the gun up to him.
    For me, while I completely agree with what Miles was saying about how a hero shouldn't be judged by the superficial things such as race, gender or orientation (which as a black comic book reader, I sympathize with), I also find it incredibly hypocritical from Marvel's standpoint. Now if Marvel had been essentially Miles in making the point that a character shouldn't judged on such things they'd have a point but instead they've been the Youtube girl putting emphasis on the fact that they have a black Captain America, that they have a black Spider-Man, that Thor is a woman, ect. In fact, I remember Bendis putting emphasis on Miles being black back when he first revealed him complete with a story of kids on the playground pretending to be superheroes but a black child being told that Spider-Man is white and how he was making a Spider-Man that his black children could relate to. For me, one can't really advocate that race shouldn't matter when they themselves have shoved the race of the character as a selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Plus there's also the possibility that the grandmother gave birth young as well.
    Or maybe she just looks good for her age
    We need better comics

I don't think anybody really has a problem with Miles not wanting to be defined by his race and not wanting to be know as "Black Spider-Man". What people are taking issue with is Miles not realizing why him being black might be important to others.....but like many of us have already theorized it's likely going to lead to Miles having a "wake up call" of sorts.

Spectacular Member StaticShock99's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Thanks, yes this is what I was talking about. To add on to my earlier comment with Miles interacting with young heroes, especially Kamala who's hailed for what she represents, him being mentored by Sam Wilson, the close relationship he has with his black father who does know he's spider-man, he's surrounded by too many self aware people for me to think this subject would not be addressed later on.

I also feel the "colorblind" crowd is not getting it either, they think Bendis is drinking their koolaid.

Yup, between Sam, Kamala, his parents/grandma, hell even Ganke and Judge I can see Miles learning more about the way race impacts perception.

Spectacular Member StaticShock99's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Nobody is going to say much about "Bad Ass Grandma" because I particularly LOVE "Bad Ass Grandma". I want her to have her own series! Move over Amanda Waller, there's a new bad girl in town!
    Lmao her character does seem very interesting. Really looking forward to seeing more of his family/home life.

They kinda need to maybe figure out a new name for Miles superhero identity. He may want it, but I don't think he's ever gonna be known as just "Spider-Man". I can see not wanting be referred to by his race or anything like that, but he's always gonna have something extra to the Spidey name to differentiate him from Peter.

Imagine describing a battle or any scene in the comic to someone calling them both just Spider-Man. you would at least have to call one Spidey A or Spidey B or something like that.

It seems kinda confusing to have 2 guys running around with pretty much the same power set (with some differences here and there) and very similar costumes (the web pattern, eyes, chest symbol, etc.) with the exact same name. For both in real life and in-universe. When in real life talking about 'em, we gotta say Miles or Ultimate/New Avengers Spidey, and say Peter or original/616 Spidey so people know what Spider-Man we are talking about. Most of the other spider-Characters have either completely different names from each other, a name different enough we know who they are without confusion, are dead, or live in different universes most of the time. (what do they call Spider-Man 2099 in-universe? Is he just "Spider-Man" too?)

I mean, Pete's gotta get back to basics and be in New York full-time at some point, right? Are they both gonna be in the same city? What are the citizens of New York gonna call them? When the other superheroes talk about them are they gonna have to refer to them by first name so they can attribute a specific deed to that Spider-Man?

I guess maybe you could go by costume colors, just call Peter the red and blue Spidey and Miles the red and black Spidey. But have the black in this case refer to his actual costume, seeing as how it is mostly black.

Marvel is trying to have their cake and eat it too....

They're doing the same thing with Captain America. Instead of giving one of them a different code name they're just gonna have them BOTH be Captain America.

I will say though in the case of Miles/Peter there's already a bunch of Spider-Men running around.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage 707 View Post
    They kinda need to maybe figure out a new name for Miles superhero identity. He may want it, but I don't think he's ever gonna be known as just "Spider-Man". I can see not wanting be referred to by his race or anything like that, but he's always gonna have something extra to the Spidey name to differentiate him from Peter.

Imagine describing a battle or any scene in the comic to someone calling them both just Spider-Man. you would at least have to call one Spidey A or Spidey B or something like that.

It seems kinda confusing to have 2 guys running around with pretty much the same power set (with some differences here and there) and very similar costumes (the web pattern, eyes, chest symbol, etc.) with the exact same name. For both in real life and in-universe. When in real life talking about 'em, we gotta say Miles or Ultimate/New Avengers Spidey, and say Peter or original/616 Spidey so people know what Spider-Man we are talking about. Most of the other spider-Characters have either completely different names from each other, a name different enough we know who they are without confusion, are dead, or live in different universes most of the time. (what do they call Spider-Man 2099 in-universe? Is he just "Spider-Man" too?)

I mean, Pete's gotta get back to basics and be in New York full-time at some point, right? Are they both gonna be in the same city? What are the citizens of New York gonna call them? When the other superheroes talk about them are they gonna have to refer to them by first name so they can attribute a specific deed to that Spider-Man?

I guess maybe you could go by costume colors, just call Peter the red and blue Spidey and Miles the red and black Spidey. But have the black in this case refer to his actual costume, seeing as how it is mostly black.
    Miguel is also known as Spider-Man but civilians and villains just assume it's the same one wearing a different costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    For someone like me though it's something I have to acknowledge at times because I'm not seen as the default. I always use the example that I once won an office raffle, and the prize was voucher for a tanning salon.....I'm a dark skinned black man, what the hell am I supposed to do with a voucher for a tanning salon. The people in the office obviously meant no harm in it, but when coming up with the prize they viewed themselves and their experiences as the default and just assumed it'd be a nice gift for everyone. They ignored the race of every black person in the office and in doing so ignored that what might be cool for them might be utterly useless to me.
    Omigosh, thats a great story. Hahahah. Hope you got some kind of consolation prize at least.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

They kinda need to maybe figure out a new name for Miles superhero identity.
    No they don't

Nothing wrong with using their first names, at this point in time people are aware of all three men who call themselves Spider-Man and know their secret identity names, at one point at the same time we had Julia and Jessica using the Spider-Woman name and nobody complained but now suddenly there is a issue because of short term memory reader problems? This is like when both Bruce and Dick wore the cowl and people just wanted to complain about it and not use logic and reading comprehension

I mean, Pete's gotta get back to basics and be in New York full-time at some point, right?
    Maybe but given how many decades we've had that what's wrong with a break, especially since people say they want new stories with classic characters but then cry fowl when they do saying they really just want the same old thing with no changes

Are they both gonna be in the same city?
    Sure why not

What are the citizens of New York gonna call them?
    Spider-Man

When the other superheroes talk about them are they gonna have to refer to them by first name so they can attribute a specific deed to that Spider-Man?
    Probably, behind closed doors as seen in comics most times they do refer to others by their actual names

iMan 42s

Ironically enough Miles would be the "black Spider-man" since his costume is predominantly black so his ignoring race, it isn't wrong.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

One thing I do find interesting about this new run so far is the change of disposition with how Miles views being Spider-Man. In both of the Ultimate Series he felt more resigned to the mantle. In the main universe, so far he's been fanboying over the idea of being a Super Hero.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    One thing I do find interesting about this new run so far is the change of disposition with how Miles views being Spider-Man. In both of the Ultimate Series he felt more resigned to the mantle. In the main universe, so far he's been fanboying over the idea of being a Super Hero.
    It makes sense, because in this new universe he didn't see the original Spider-man die in front of him.