Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Someone not wanting the race (and everything that comes along with it) to be completely ignored doesn't mean they want to be defined by their race. A persons race is just one aspect of who they are, but it also impacts how they interact with society at large.

I don't think anyone would expect you to feel defined by your race as a white male, but that's because you're seen as the default, especially in the United states. For instance, if you were raised in an environment where you were the ONLY white person and you rarely saw someone who looked like you in the media you'd be more aware of your whiteness. But in the U.S. it's not something you even have to acknowledge.

For someone like me though it's something I have to acknowledge at times because I'm not seen as the default. I always use the example that I once won an office raffle, and the prize was voucher for a tanning salon.....I'm a dark skinned black man, what the hell am I supposed to do with a voucher for a tanning salon. The people in the office obviously meant no harm in it, but when coming up with the prize they viewed themselves and their experiences as the default and just assumed it'd be a nice gift for everyone. They ignored the race of every black person in the office and in doing so ignored that what might be cool for them might be utterly useless to me.
    Agreed 100%.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Or maybe she just looks good for her age

I guess Bendis thought he was being cute with the "culo" reference juxtaposed right next to Mile's grandma grande asset. LOL!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    I guess Bendis thought he was being cute with the "culo" reference juxtaposed right next to Mile's grandma grande asset. LOL!

Grandmother's cracking that whip!
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    I think the part that bothers me the most about this issue is that despite I know the upcoming issues will change this, I've heard that some gamergate ass marks have been cheering on that scene because of how it "makes fun of Tumblr".

Like, is that the audience Bendis wants? Definitely not.
    Bendis is active on tumblr though.

He's a fairly liberal guy with two African-American children. I doubr he's going to make gamergates happy.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    Marvel is trying to have their cake and eat it too....

They're doing the same thing with Captain America. Instead of giving one of them a different code name they're just gonna have them BOTH be Captain America.

I will say though in the case of Miles/Peter there's already a bunch of Spider-Men running around.
    One issue is that Steve Rogers and Peter Parker are very popular characters. So replacing them isn't a great option.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Welp, figured I'd share my own thoughts about Spider-Man #2, considering the subject of the YouTube scene (best and important moment of the entire comic) and the one-sided curb stomp between Miles and Blackheart.

Stillanerd Reviews: Spider-Man #2
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

BANNED

Better issue than the first, much less compression. Blackheart isn't that interesting as a villain though, and I don't think Grandma Morales is going to make for a particularly enthralling story.

Interesting to see how defensive a large part of the comic book readership gets when they don't think the writer of a book is mirroring their own political ideals closely enough. Seems pretty clear to me that there's more to that scene than what we've seen so far, but it says a lot that some people can't stand to read ideas other than their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    Better issue than the first, much less compression. Blackheart isn't that interesting as a villain though, and I don't think Grandma Morales is going to make for a particularly enthralling story.

Interesting to see how defensive a large part of the comic book readership gets when they don't think the writer of a book is mirroring their own political ideals closely enough. Seems pretty clear to me that there's more to that scene than what we've seen so far, but it says a lot that some people can't stand to read ideas other than their own.
    I'm interested in Miles's grandmother, but I think her MJ introduction dialogue and not to mention Jefferson's warning of Miles was too much. I mean: "You brought this on yourself." You can't go: "Honey, let's sit down with Miles and talk about this, I agree, his grades are horrible after being great for so long." "How is your mother going to set him straight?" "Are you going to have her follow him from class to class or do his homework and take his phone away?" I immediately thought: "Please, Bendis, don't go with a cliche venom spewing spanish woman." I really hope we don't go with that.
    Mooper Films

Astonishing Member

This issue is an absolutely fantastic issue and really hits hard for me as I've often dealt with the same struggle as a black man. Where I disagree with Miles is the importance of representation. He obviously doesn't understand how important proper representation is, so I'm presuming either Barack Obama isn't the president of the MU or he's not the first black president in the MU, because anyone who recalls the first time Obama was elected could easily see how important it was, with constant interviews by black boys now having the belief that they too can become president of the United States. One only needs to look at the doll test, or the television studies that show that white boys usually have better self confidence after watching television, while white girls and black children have lower self confidence due to lack or unequal representation. It's a big reason why my upcoming comics is purposely aimed at being diverse to fill the void that's common within the media.

Where I can understand where Miles is coming from is not wanting to be seen as the "black spider man." There are many who are pro-black and embrace race as a huge part of their core and being, which I completely respect. However, if I could have a choice for my personal identification, I just want to be seen as me, a regular joe smo who likes comics and drawing comics, with my "race" not even playing a part as to who I am and how I'm treated by other people. Of course this is completely fantasy, especially in America where as black people our race plays a gigantic part of our lives. But if there was a country I could move to where the social construct of race wasn't invented, I'd move there in a heartbeat lol.

So Bravo Bendis, you created a comic that I could relate to on a deep personal level and for that I applaud you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooper Films View Post
    I'm interested in Miles's grandmother, but I think her MJ introduction dialogue and not to mention Jefferson's warning of Miles was too much. I mean: "You brought this on yourself." You can't go: "Honey, let's sit down with Miles and talk about this, I agree, his grades are horrible after being great for so long." "How is your mother going to set him straight?" "Are you going to have her follow him from class to class or do his homework and take his phone away?" I immediately thought: "Please, Bendis, don't go with a cliche venom spewing spanish woman." I really hope we don't go with that.
    I disagree. The part with Miles's Grandma was Hilarious, and a good nod too the past! I know it's only two issues in, but i'm actually enjoying Mile's series a lot better than I'm enjoying Peter's. I mean don't get me wrong I love the direction that they took Peter in, but what i don't like is how watered down it seems. I see a lot more thought put into Mile's series which I like. I think having Mile's Grandma in the story definitely makes it that more interesting because she seems like she's going too be on him like Yellow on Rice! So i'm interested too see how that's going to interfere with his responsibilities as Spider-Man, not to mention an Avenger.

I am usually really critical of Bendis, and I still dislike his writing style, and how he handles criticism, but this was a good issue (with the exception of Miles OP powers). He handled Miles reaction quite well, and it's clear that his stance will change as the arc progresses.

This was another great issue. I think that Mile's position on not wanting to be known as "the black Spider-Man" is spot on, and he pointed out that he was "half-hispanic" as well.The YouTube girl even pointed out that he was a person of color. Miles wanting to be known more for his merits and his deeds rather than the color of his skin is real and relevant to our day and age. However representation is important, and the fact remains that people of color in certain positions can help change perceptions, preconceived notions and stereotypes. Of course, everyone will not change. Hopefully, Miles can learn that while he should absolutely be known for his deeds and his accomplishments as Spider-Man, he can help change the misperceptions that people could have about "brown" folk. On another note, I think the introduction of Miles' grandma is going to be fun. It is going to bring back that sense of secret identiy dilemmas, such as " how can I be Spidey when abuela is always watching?" Not to mention his mom. Dad knowing helps . It'll be fun to see how he gets out of those types of situations. She seems to be a no nonsense lady!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mooper Films View Post
    I thought the grandmothers dialogue was way too forced but I'm not surprised. Anyhow, in Hispanic culture, if a child thinks his parents are tough, usually the parents try to scare that child with his/her grandparents. The idea being that grandparents are always good cop/bad cop. Grandparents will spoil their kids, but when that kid messes up, the lecture and earful that's given is worse than the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    I thought the grandmothers dialogue was way too forced but I'm not surprised. Anyhow, in Hispanic culture, if a child thinks his parents are tough, usually the parents try to scare that child with his/her grandparents. The idea being that grandparents are always good cop/bad cop. Grandparents will spoil their kids, but when that kid messes up, the lecture and earful that's given is worse than the parents.
    Trust that's not something unique to Hispanic culture lol

As for the Dialog, it reminded me of when Bendis tried to give Brother Voodoo a Haitian accent during the New sorcerer supreme storyline. It's a lazy attempt to add authenticity to a character that comes across as stilted and borderline offensive.

Spectacular Member

Why doesn't Miles just say he's Puerto Rican instead of Hispanic? I hope his Grandmother helps with actually acknowledging it in the comic book.

The potential of Miles getting a wake up call is exciting, hopefully Bendis does this story justice