Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    BANNED

They already left out the historian part since going by the trailer, it is literally debunked by the character but it's easy to miss with the loud shucking and jiving

All that was missing was a neck roll

Incredible Member

I found the trailer disappointing. It's plain to see they just did a gender reversal of Venkman, Stanz, Spengler and Zeddemore and lifted whole scenes from the original.

If they really wanted diversity why didn't they have a latina 'Spengler' or an asian 'Stanz' or moslem 'Winston' (but not all 3, wouldn't want a UN of Ghostbusters)? McCarthy would have stayed since she is the main star power of the movie. But even here it looks like she's falling back to using characteristics from past movies like Heat, Tammy and Identity Theft.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I found the trailer disappointing. It's plain to see they just did a gender reversal of Venkman, Stanz, Spengler and Zeddemore and lifted whole scenes from the original.

If they really wanted diversity why didn't they have a latina 'Spengler' or an asian 'Stanz' or moslem 'Winston' (but not all 3, wouldn't want a UN of Ghostbusters)? McCarthy would have stayed since she is the main star power of the movie. But even here it looks like she's falling back to using characteristics from past movies like Heat, Tammy and Identity Theft.
    Who said they're looking for more diversity? Or ethnic/religious diversity?

I am amused by things like "wouldn't want a UN of Ghostbusters," though, because apparently, diversity is good, but only the kind "I" want, and not too much. Which seems to be a common theme among one faction of Ghostbusters fans.

Honestly: Do you wonder why there isn't a Muslim or more Asians in the original Ghostbusters, too? Or, why other remakes also tend to have similar characters to the original, even if they're renamed? Isn't that just normally how remakes work?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member

Gotta be honest just the stills turned me off to it haven't even watched the trailer yet.

Not Even a Ghostbusters fan But I don't get all the hate. Most of it comes from the Sheer hate of the lack of Bill Murray , the all female cast or something along the lines " This is burying my childhood".

This isn't Like changing all the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Female. This Isn't Like Making all the Transformers fem-bots. But perhaps if they went the Extreme Ghostbusters route, half girls and half guys it would be more accepted.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AstroWolfboy View Post
    Not Even a Ghostbusters fan But I don't get all the hate. Most of it comes from the Sheer hate of the lack of Bill Murray , the all female cast or something along the lines " This is burying my childhood".
    Seriously.

These days you can barely even mention the word 'female' online without getting hit with the hate of a billion exploding... haters?

BANNED

Looks like it could be good. But does anyone find it utterly bizzare that the Ghostbusters themselves seem like they're playing off the cartoon version, but the looney toon style ghost have seemingly been toned down into normal humans? This seems like such a weird thing to do if you're going to make the living people cartoon too. Spy was really good, so I'm more interested then I was better, but reports about this movie feeling the need to endlessly explain everything don't sound good.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You can have one and she can not act like the comic relief. In fact she still can be a scientist or some other job related to dealing with ghost or spirits.

The Big Bang Theory shows us 4 different types of scientists with different personalities.

What is this movie's excuse?

Right now she's the turnoff.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins
    When they're all wearing 'nuclear accelerators' on their back, it would probably be a good idea if they were all scientists...
    Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01
    "30 years" later the everyman is still the black one. Like in three decades we still don't believe a black person can be a scientist too?
    Why does she need to be a scientist though? She doesn't need to be one to quality as a Ghostbuster. I remember that no one in the Extreme Ghostbuster crew were Scientists save Egon. Learn to use proton pack, don't cross the streams and your good to go.

Mighty Member

Ok, I found it kind of blah. Not a big GB's fan and just checked it out because of the poll results. A couple observations, show us these women are great, don't tell us. Second the jokes weren't very funny.

Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The trailer after watching multiple times just isn't that funny. It seems like a forced comedic affair repeating a few iconic moments like when Peter got slimed the 1st time.

But as Angry Joe pointed out , Harold Ramis is a great writer. He knew himself how to juggle the themes of horror and comedy to a perfect tee. The man wrote many a great comedy and knew how to hit those themes. But Feig in this juggled little themes. Instead it was ...typical loud female comedy. The same formula he did in Bridesmaids and the Heat before.

Given the intense anger at the franchise as it seems to be hitting intense anger like Fantastic Four last year , If I was Sony I'd be worried. This could be a box office bomb in the making and they will have to rethink this franchise. Ghostbusters can be a franchise , but it takes people behind the scenes to make it work. Its not about stunt casting all women to create buzz. And honestly I like Wiig , McKinnon and Jones in this. Its about basically creating a film that works.

Sony wanted to make a Ghostbusters film on their own. They took it from Dan Aykroyd who wrote the original and was like...we know better. Judging from this 1st trailer and reaction. No....no you didn't.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Who said they're looking for more diversity? Or ethnic/religious diversity?

I am amused by things like "wouldn't want a UN of Ghostbusters," though, because apparently, diversity is good, but only the kind "I" want, and not too much. Which seems to be a common theme among one faction of Ghostbusters fans.

Honestly: Do you wonder why there isn't a Muslim or more Asians in the original Ghostbusters, too? Or, why other remakes also tend to have similar characters to the original, even if they're renamed? Isn't that just normally how remakes work?
    There was a post earlier that said that the reason an all woman cast was to bring a diversity/freshness to the franchise. For the 'UN' comment it's because I feel that such a 'UN' group would look forced and not natural, like the producers are trying to fill some kind of quota. "Let's get a Latina and that'll bring in the Spanish audience and while we're at it bring in an Asian so the movie will do well in China and Japan and to cover the bases bring in a Moslem as well to we're sensitive to the Moslem community." I haven't really seen any kind of group of people/friends similar to what I describe outside of high school. I'm sure they exist but most commonly people generally tend to group together along certain characteristics because it's comfortable. The US is populated with Chinatowns and little Russias/Koreas/Viet Nams.

And honestly, no I didn't wonder why there weren't any other races/religions in the lead when I first saw the movie. I didn't think of it at the time and I largely still don't when watching a movie or tv show. I always automatically think the producers/directors got the best actor they could for the role, it's probably naive to think that but it's what I feel. [Do you know that In A Few Good Men Demi Moore's role was originally written for a man but when she auditioned for the movie they were impressed enough by her that they gave her the role with very little changes to reflect her gender.]

Astonishing Member

First of all, I'm going to say going in that I don't really know any of these actresses. I know that one lady was on Mike and Molly, but that's about it. So, I can't judge them based on any kind of previous track record. That said, it looks like it could be fun. The ghost effects look interesting and I find the wild nuclear engineer woman kind of intriguing. I want to know what her deal is. But I get the sense that there's some degree of "reboot fatigue" going on here. Ever since Sony announced it would be a restart rather than a much-delayed sequel, people have been against it. I think everyone has a point where they say "I don't want to start over with this" (I felt like that with DC Comics titles after the New 52 hit).

BANNED

I just have to say that all across the interwebs there is a lot of mysogynist comments/criticism being hurled at this movie. If this movie fails miserably it won't be because of a female cast, it will be because it doesn't have the same spark that the original had. And that doesn't fall on the cast, it falls on the writers and producers and director.

Well, to see that she doesn't find her role the least bit offensive is oddly relieving for the fans who think it is. I guess it's like feeling bad for someone, when they themselves have nothing to feel bad about. I'm glad she's cool with it, sort of? Idk, w/e. On to the next trailer. This first promo was weak af, but if there is anything I learned in the past few months, it is that trailer editing can make or break. I still don't think this movie will be great, but I bet the next trailer will be boss lol.