Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

I guess Slott wanted to address the complaints about Peter acting like Stark.

BANNED

Never in my life did I expect people complaing about comicbook fantasy(Black Cat, Spidey falling from the sky, using a spaceship) in a comicbook with Spider-Man, and none of this is realistic at all not even in the past.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Never in my life did I expect people complaing about comicbook fantasy(Black Cat, Spidey falling from the sky, using a spaceship) in a comicbook with Spider-Man, and none of this is realistic at all not even in the past.
    Yes, it is fantasy. But even fantasy in comics has it's limits. We are talking about a character that was basically street level until Bendis made him an Avengers a decade a some years ago. What's the craziest thing that happened to spider-man in the past before that? Cosmic powers in the early 90's? Some clones? Alien costume from another world? Getting his eye eaten by a weird gothic vampire? Fine. The fantasy can be pushed to limits and then some. Someone mentioned Amazing Spider-Man 1 when Peter saved Jameson and the shuttle. Problem with that was that the shuttle was already in earth's atmosphere and was not burning or breaking. Peter literally fell to earth and everything but his costume disintegrated. Webshooters did not melt. Body didn't suffer any real harmful effects (and this is where you guys say but we don't know the outcome yet we still have more story). Peter entering earth the way he did should have caused immediate issues. Again, the precedent was already set by Jean Grey in 1975 and she almost died. Peter is only down and out because The Scorpio blasted him while he was recovering. That is a little too much pushing of the fantasy. But this is just my opinion. i am still going to read the comics as it's the best its been in years. And I am not pushing my opinions on any of you. I am just stating that it was too weird.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    The best stories possess elements of fantasy, but are also mostly grounded in reality. The entire space sequence in this issue was very unrealistic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Yes, it is fantasy. But even fantasy in comics has it's limits. We are talking about a character that was basically street level until Bendis made him an Avengers a decade a some years ago. What's the craziest thing that happened to spider-man in the past before that? Cosmic powers in the early 90's? Some clones? Alien costume from another world? Getting his eye eaten by a weird gothic vampire? Fine. The fantasy can be pushed to limits and then some. Someone mentioned Amazing Spider-Man 1 when Peter saved Jameson and the shuttle. Problem with that was that the shuttle was already in earth's atmosphere and was not burning or breaking. Peter literally fell to earth and everything but his costume disintegrated. Webshooters did not melt. Body didn't suffer any real harmful effects (and this is where you guys say but we don't know the outcome yet we still have more story). Peter entering earth the way he did should have caused immediate issues. Again, the precedent was already set by Jean Grey in 1975 and she almost died. Peter is only down and out because The Scorpio blasted him while he was recovering. That is a little too much pushing of the fantasy. But this is just my opinion. i am still going to read the comics as it's the best its been in years. And I am not pushing my opinions on any of you. I am just stating that it was too weird.
    Iron Man travels in and out of Earth's atmosphere with no problem. As Peter even says in the issue "Built my Spider-Armor tough. It can handle re-entry." And he goes on to say that his web-chutes will keep him from achieving terminal velocity. Yes, it's still a big stretch that he survives but that's what makes it so awesome. He plummets from freaking space and, just by guts and wits, he makes it down in one piece. I think it's a classic Spidey moment of beating the odds and doing the impossible.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    I guess Slott wanted to address the complaints about Peter acting like Stark.
    He's been lamp shading it since the first issue of this volume. Most of the ANAD books have had the characters voice some of the complaints fans have about the new approach which seems to be an effort from Marvel to show that they are self aware.

What's the craziest thing that happened to spider-man in the past before that? Cosmic powers in the early 90's? Some clones? Alien costume from another world? Getting his eye eaten by a weird gothic vampire? Fine.
    When you stack all those together they sound way more outlandish than a jump into the atmosphere. In fact some of those sound way more outlandish just on there own, at least to me.

Someone mentioned Amazing Spider-Man 1 when Peter saved Jameson and the shuttle. Problem with that was that the shuttle was already in earth's atmosphere and was not burning or breaking. Peter literally fell to earth and everything but his costume disintegrated. Webshooters did not melt. Body didn't suffer any real harmful effects (and this is where you guys say but we don't know the outcome yet we still have more story). Peter entering earth the way he did should have caused immediate issues. Again, the precedent was already set by Jean Grey in 1975 and she almost died. Peter is only down and out because The Scorpio blasted him while he was recovering. That is a little too much pushing of the fantasy. But this is just my opinion. i am still going to read the comics as it's the best its been in years. And I am not pushing my opinions on any of you. I am just stating that it was too weird.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but when Jean Grey held the shuttle together in X-Men #100 she didn't even have a space suit (I recall the animated series did but not the comic) and I'd imagine a gifted scientist like Peter would make a suit that's stronger than a real life NASA space suit not to mention his actual costume is like armor now even if they were not specifically made with atmospheric entry in mind that would aid in helping him survive along with his enhanced strength. It's not like he came back down to Earth with ease it was portrayed as painful and costly.

Putting that aside different franchises have different parameters of where the fiction breaks even in a shared universe and even different runs of the same comic. That's just one of the main conceits of a long running shared universe with hundreds of different authors. Even with an editorial overseen house style there's enough wiggle room for depictions of the same event to differ.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I think it's a classic Spidey moment of beating the odds and doing the impossible.
    Agree with this

I love the Spidey comics since Slott has been around...rather we love them or hate them they are at least entertaining!
    Come join in the Love for He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun!http://community.comicbookresources....49#post1797949

.. even fantasy in comics has it's limits. We are talking about a character that was basically street level until Bendis made him an Avengers a decade a some years ago. What's the craziest thing that happened to spider-man in the past before that? Cosmic powers in the early 90's? Some clones? Alien costume from another world? Getting his eye eaten by a weird gothic vampire? Fine.
    Ok, sure. Let's throw in 'grows an extra 6 limbs' - 'saves the entire planet from Doc Ocks crazy global warming tech' - oh hell, why not 'gets bit by radioactive insect and gets crazy ass superpowers, instead of just dying from radiation poisoning'

All of that is fine.

But somehow, falling from space and surviving is suddenly 'unrealistic fantasy'?

The real issue here is that comic book fans arbitrarily decide what they are willing to suspend their disbelief on lol. Then they
    come on to boards and complain when an outlandish plot point triggers their quirky, personal dividing line of what is 'realistic' about
    a character and a story that are completely fantastic and unrealistic from the very inception.

If you can believe a kid can get spider superpowers from a radioactively charged spider - how much of a leap (pun intended) is it
    for that same character to survive a free-fall from orbit?

You are being arbitrary here. You just don't want to admit it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Ok, sure. Let's throw in 'grows an extra 6 limbs' - 'saves the entire planet from Doc Ocks crazy global warming tech' - oh hell, why not 'gets bit by radioactive insect and gets crazy ass superpowers, instead of just dying from radiation poisoning'

All of that is fine.

But somehow, falling from space and surviving is suddenly 'unrealistic fantasy'?

The real issue here is that comic book fans arbitrarily decide what they are willing to suspend their disbelief on lol. Then they
    come on to boards and complain when an outlandish plot point triggers their quirky, personal dividing line of what is 'realistic' about
    a character and a story that are completely fantastic and unrealistic from the very inception.

If you can believe a kid can get spider superpowers from a radioactively charged spider - how much of a leap (pun intended) is it

I'm sorry I offended the CBR community because I had an opinion. My bad.
    I'm wrong. You all win. Done and done.

This was probably the best issue of the relaunch.

Zodiac got more interesting, with the power of the Geimini twins and the boss's seeming victory at the end.

It was also fun to see a Spider-Man with incredble resources pushed to the limit. It's been done often enough since the Master Planner saga, but this was a solid spin on it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

A little late, but finally managed to finish my thoughts about the latest Amazing Spider-Man issue. And here I thought him having his own rocket ship was silly. Because how Dan Slott has Peter get back to Earth? Cue the Captain Picard memes. Still thought it fun, though. Utterly ridiculous, mind you, but fun.

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man (2015) #9
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Spiderman being rich was a cool idea, but I dunno. It's kinds getting old fast. And the Zodiac Villain is kinda lame. I'd like to see him fight his old baddies with his new tech. Looking forward to whatever that weird guy getting Rhino and Lizard is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Fighter View Post
    Spiderman being rich was a cool idea, but I dunno. It's kinds getting old fast. And the Zodiac Villain is kinda lame. I'd like to see him fight his old baddies with his new tech. Looking forward to whatever that weird guy getting Rhino and Lizard is doing.
    Probably trying to put the sinister six back together, it all seems to build towads Doc Ock is returning in the "Dead No More" event.

Quote Originally Posted by MikaelNovasun View Post
    Probably trying to put the sinister six back together, it all seems to build towads Doc Ock is returning in the "Dead No More" event.
    Who do you think the guy in the shadows is?

I'm betting it's Harry. I really don't want it to be, but it could be.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post

All of that is fine.

No. He is not being arbitrary.

All fiction requires world building. The rules of the world are set up to root the character and to orient the reader.

The Marvel Universe has consistently had similar physics to our own.

For characters to escape real world physics, they need powers and/or devices.

When Iron Man goes into space, we suspend our disbelief, because the Iron Man armor has been explained and shown. And even then, because all powerful characters who make their obstacles disappear are boring and remove suspense, the powers and/or devices are usually given upper limits. The story becomes how does the hero escape THIS time, given the restrictions.

In ASM #9, the audience is supposed to first suspend disbelief that a rocket ship can take off from the roof of a building in the middle of a densely populated city and not cause damage/death. Think of watching a space shuttle launch, then compare that to what we saw on page. But, OK, Peter Parker is shown working on green fuels and perhaps Peter came up with something amazing that doesn't cause too much heat or gasses to escape. Maybe the Baxter Building, I think that's where it took off, has special shields because of Reed Richards. So suspension of disbelief is wobbly, but fine. Comics.

Then we are asked to believe that Peter Parker can make a free fall from a satellite to a pinpoint landing in Paris.OK, so Peter has a spacesuit, and maybe that spacesuit can get him up to enough speed to break orbit and enter Earth's atmosphere. Wave hand: comics. OK, Peter is a supergenius with an IQ on par with the best of the Marvel Universe, so Peter can in his head do all the calculations necessary to find Paris, conveniently not on the other side of the planet, and to slow his descent once he gets to the atmosphere. And maybe Peter's suit had all the weather information built in so his calculations would be correct. Wave hand: comics.

Then Peter enters the Earth's atmosphere and his suit breaks up. He conveniently has web foam in his back. Somehow the web foam is able to 360 degree coat Peter even though it should stream uselessly away, but let's say the foam has some sort of attractant that keeps it on Peter. And Peter has web ball parachutes. Sure. Wave hand: comics.

But he is tens of thousands of feet above ground at this point, judging by the art, wearing only his Spider-suit.

The web parachutes are on fire, but Peter is not. The web parachutes are disintegrating, but Peter is fine. Peter is able to breathe, even talk to Anna Maria, despite the fact at 60,000 feet the air temp would be around -70 degrees F and the Armstrong limit means no human could survive without being in a pressurized environment. Remember, his space suit is gone at this time. And if his regular Spidey suit is pressurized, then why put on a space suit.

At this point, I've been asked to wave my hands so much, I have carpal tunnel syndrome. Now I don't care if this comics. This is outright stupid. It's not playing by the rules of Peter Parker's world.

Then Peter, coming in so hot and fast the people on the ground think he is a missile, manages to stick a landing in the middle of a crowded Paris street. He doesn't kill civilians. He doesn't damage property. He only sustains bruises.

I wad up the comic and throw it in the trash can.

In other words, this story would be fine for the Hulk. We can suspend disbelief if the Hulk did something like this, because the world of the Hulk has been built to show he can survive a free fall from space.

We'd believe it of Iron Man, if Tony's armor stayed intact and didn't break up in atmosphere, because the world of Iron Man has been built to show the armor would protect Tony on atmosphere re-entry, and has thrusters for deceleration that would allow Tony to stick a landing.

We believe Peter can whip up a potion that would give him six arms, because Peter is established as someone who loves biochemistry and created web fluid. So it's believable he would be able to come up with the formula.

But this is the first time we've seen Peter's Parker Industries space suit. And it breaks up. And Peter is not impervious like the Hulk, nor does he have a healing factor like Wolverine to account for sustaining almost no damage. As for Jean and the space shuttle in X-Men 100, Jean used telekinesis, which Peter does not have, and when the radiation breaks through her shield it very much hurts her, to the point the Phoenix is needed to save her.

If Peter becomes Spider-Phoenix in the next issue, I'll eat my words.

For now, this issue deserves the scorn it earned for being outlandish and insulting readers' intelligence. There's no possible No Prize to save this mess.

TL; dr: Suspension of disbelief is not arbitrary when the comic breaks the rules of its own world and shows a character doing something for which there is no rational in-universe explanation or background.
    Last edited by MJS; 03-15-2016 at 02:52 PM.