Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    weirdly I love the brittish, scottish etc writers on american books but UK comics usually just doesn't connect with me.
    Even Zenith. It was good but didn't like it as much as Morrison' other works.
    Have you tried Moore's Ballad of Halo Jones or Alan Moore's Future Shocks? Halo Jones is probably my favorite Moore book just a real good sci-fi story, Ian Gibson does amazing art. Also cannot suggest Button Man by John Wagner enough just a good story about hit men, you can get a used copy extremely cheap very good short first volume.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...7622466&sr=8-4

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Have you tried Moore's Ballad of Halo Jones or Alan Moore's Future Shocks? Halo Jones is probably my favorite Moore book just a real good sci-fi story, Ian Gibson does amazing art. Also cannot suggest Button Man by John Wagner enough just a good story about hit men, you can get a used copy extremely cheap very good short first volume.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...7622466&sr=8-4
    meant to try Button man for ages, maybe some day (btw the chepest for the first vol is 10 pounds, 20 on amazon but there is a complete collection sorta thing with 300 pages).
    Never red the Moore stuff but eventually I will get around reading them because it's Moore.
    But to be honest, I have a feeling our taste in books differ a bit

meant to try Button man for ages, maybe some day (btw the chepest for the first vol is 10 pounds, 20 on amazon but there is a complete collection sorta thing with 300 pages).
    Never red the Moore stuff but eventually I will get around reading them because it's Moore.
    But to be honest, I have a feeling our taste in books differ a bit
    Probably do a bit, but I have seen a bunch of post on this thread that I agree on with minus LOEG. I 100% agree on the fact that all of Snyder's reveals are a disappointment, he also drags things out way to long and gets rather boring (except Black Mirror). See lots of Morrison love, he is one of the all time greats he does amazing work, except on 2000 AD his weakest work and his Dredd was basically garbage. Love the Fear Agent Library Editions great reads, and Batgirl/Robin Year One are to amazing bat books.

Probably do a bit, but I have seen a bunch of post on this thread that I agree on with minus LOEG. I 100% agree on the fact that all of Snyder's reveals are a disappointment, he also drags things out way to long and gets rather boring (except Black Mirror). See lots of Morrison love, he is one of the all time greats he does amazing work, except on 2000 AD his weakest work and his Dredd was basically garbage. Love the Fear Agent Library Editions great reads, and Batgirl/Robin Year One are to amazing bat books.
    grrr, you gonna convince me

grrr, you gonna convince me
    At the very least it is worth checking Halo Jones, it started around the same time he started Swamp Thing.

At the very least it is worth checking Halo Jones, it started around the same time he started Swamp Thing.
    Halo Jones Book 3 is so good, definitely one of Moore's best IMO. It's a damn shame they never did the rest (although the ending as it stands is pretty good).

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    Underrated by analysis:

I always see Absolute Watchmen when people post collection pictures, but I almost never see Absolute V for Vendetta.

Do Moore fans rank V lower than his other output? Is it a case of poor reproduction of the Absolute? Or are most comic fans compelled to own Watchmen due to it's historical significance alone?
    Well, I have to fully admit, that I didn't like V for Vendetta. Is it a bad book? Not necessarily bad, no. But it's very much in your face and lacks the subtlety of Moore's later oeuvre. File under: overrated.

Also someone talked about Paul Chadwick's Concrete. Now that's a truly underrated comic! It's virtually unknown and it's really sad, since it's some of the best stuff from the 90s. Dark Horse shold release some new library editions of it. Would buy them in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Underrated:

Anything by Joe Kelly. He has offered some of the best stories, if not the best, for Deadpool, Superman, and Spider-Man. His creator owned work such as Bad Dog, Four Eyes, and I Kill Giants are must reads. Again though, his Spider-Man stuff (and even the current Spidey/Deadpool teamup book) is some of the best stuff; he can write the witty banter, captures the Parker luck, and writes some of the best foils to both Spider-Man and Peter Parker.
    Kelly and Segal's X Men run was pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Underrated:

Anything by Joe Kelly. He has offered some of the best stories, if not the best, for Deadpool, Superman, and Spider-Man. His creator owned work such as Bad Dog, Four Eyes, and I Kill Giants are must reads. Again though, his Spider-Man stuff (and even the current Spidey/Deadpool teamup book) is some of the best stuff; he can write the witty banter, captures the Parker luck, and writes some of the best foils to both Spider-Man and Peter Parker.
    I'd add that his JLA run was pretty great too. Second only to Morrison's during that particular iteration of the book, if you ask me.

(And I Kill Giants was just amazing. I don't know if it's underrated, since everybody I know loved it, but I'd say it's under-appreciated, at any rate).

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Be nice if Marvel could collect the “The Owl/Octopus War,” Spectacular Spider-Man #72-79 into TPB. One of the best Spidey/Ock stories ever.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krylox View Post
    Well, I have to fully admit, that I didn't like V for Vendetta. Is it a bad book? Not necessarily bad, no. But it's very much in your face and lacks the subtlety of Moore's later oeuvre. File under: overrated.

Also someone talked about Paul Chadwick's Concrete. Now that's a truly underrated comic! It's virtually unknown and it's really sad, since it's some of the best stuff from the 90s. Dark Horse shold release some new library editions of it. Would buy them in a heartbeat.
    I love V for vendetta, I feel like rereading that and Ronin. Concrete is good, really well drawn, perfect amount of creepy Sci Fi weirdness, but the rest is just great relationship stories.

Yeah V for Vendetta is great...it's probably my second fav Moore story. The setting might be a little outdated, but the way the themes are handled in that book is excellent.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Also underrated: Mad Magazine, The Orignal Gang of Idiots. I love that art as much or more than 70s R. Crumb. They are layered with illustration. Jack Davis, Wallace Wood, Bill Elder, just genius comic book art. They're every bit as good as E.C Comics horror books. Plus they're funny. I get the same kick from old comics as I do from watching Mad Men or classic movies. They might be dated, but what isn't? Overrated, I want to like The Invisibles but I don't. I prefer the Filth, which hurts to write.

Fantastic Member

Underrated: Queen & Country. Just finished rereading this. An absolute joy from start to finish. It feels so REAL, which I love. The art for each chapter fits the story pretty well, in my opinion, and by the time you get to Declassified, you're totally sucked into the world. Highly recommend for fans of Ludlum and James Bond. Available in four digests.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by missingmarch View Post
    Underrated: Queen & Country. Just finished rereading this. An absolute joy from start to finish. It feels so REAL, which I love. The art for each chapter fits the story pretty well, in my opinion, and by the time you get to Declassified, you're totally sucked into the world. Highly recommend for fans of Ludlum and James Bond. Available in four digests.
    Ditto. And, good luck finding something out there to adequately substitute for Queen & Country.