Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Cheers, as I have been expanding my comic horizon lately I may give them ago, you can get the 1st volume off speedyhen from around £17
    yeah, any other publisher it would be cheaper, even from Marvel, IDW is bit overpriced.
    I would like to add, don't expect Alan Moore or Warren Ellis type of story. Some people say, it's Hellboy light, which is maybe true at first glance but it is very much its own thing. Fun, all ages (in the best possible way) science adventure.

Also, expanding your horizon: how'bout some Prince Valiant?

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    yeah, any other publisher it would be cheaper, even from Marvel, IDW is bit overpriced.
    I would like to add, don't expect Alan Moore or Warren Ellis type of story. Some people say, it's Hellboy light, which is maybe true at first glance but it is very much its own thing. Fun, all ages (in the best possible way) science adventure.

Also, expanding your horizon: how'bout some Prince Valiant?
    Isn't that old stuff? You know I don't like old stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Isn't that old stuff? You know I don't like old stuff
    yeah, ancient. Didn't remember you don't like old books. What's the oldest you can still enjoy?

I've always felt like Batman: The Man Who Laughs by Ed Brubaker is underrated, I much prefer it to Killing Joke (which imo is overrated). I'd also like to give a shout out to the Thor 'Ragnarok' tie in to Avengers Disassembled...amazing art and the story has stuck with me to this day.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    I've always felt like Batman: The Man Who Laughs by Ed Brubaker is underrated, I much prefer it to Killing Joke (which imo is overrated). I'd also like to give a shout out to the Thor 'Ragnarok' tie in to Avengers Disassembled...amazing art and the story has stuck with me to this day.
    Yeah, Oeming's run on Thor was superb
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

yeah, ancient. Didn't remember you don't like old books. What's the oldest you can still enjoy?
    Beginning of vertigo stuff, as for superhero stuff, probably 2000

I think it works better if you've read the rest but if you are not enjoying this at all then don't even bother, Morrison is not for everyone.
    I've enjoyed most of his work, We3, All Star Superman, New x Men, Filth, but some of his more acclaimed work I've not been so impressed with. Nameless and Happy! are two of his more recent books that I've not enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I've enjoyed most of his work, We3, All Star Superman, New x Men, Filth, but some of his more acclaimed work I've not been so impressed with. Nameless and Happy! are two of his more recent books that I've not enjoyed.
    I loved Happy but I read it as a Garth Ennis book and not a Morrison one Maybe because of the art but the whole story has an Ennis vibe for me (except there is no war element).

I'll also add Dark Knight Returns as overrated and Ronin as underrated. Both are actually pretty similar really, but Ronin is the better story imo.

We've got some hot takes in this thread

I've never been able to get into Y the Last Man. I've tried twice and just cannot see why it is considered such a classic.

Got another underrated one. Batgirl/Robin Year one. One of my favourite bat books ever.

From my last few reads i found Morrisons New X-Men, Hickmans FF and Fear Agent by Remender to be a bit overrated.

Spectacular Member MatchstickJohnny's Avatar

I enjoyed Hickman's Fantastic Four. I stopped reading Fantastic Four floppies in 2008 when McDuffie ended (553)and Millar/Hitch began. I figured it was a good point to jump ship and never looked back. In 2012 issue #605.1 caught my eye because I noticed Hickman was doing inter dimensional time stuff. I was already too far behind but I did pick up issues 609-611 for the Ryan Stegman art. I figure the best route would be going collected. I picked up Fantastic Four Hickman PHC vols 1 and 4. Started reading vol 1 and then moved onto vol 4. Eventually, I finished off the rest of the run with the rest of the volumes in TPB. Now I have this nagging compulsion to replace the PHCs with TPB just so I have a uniform set. I would read these again because it is worth the re-read.
    Last edited by MatchstickJohnny; 03-08-2016 at 06:35 AM.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

There's a few "classic" omnibuses I've picked up and just not been impressed with. Millers DD, Infinity Gauntlet and Busieks Avengers. I managed to get about half way through the books before giving up. More than any other reason, I think the art in all three is a big turn off.

Speaking of those Atomic Robo HCs. They should be shipping soon! Can. Not. Wait.

The success of the Kickstarter launched a deal with IDW for floppies and "Large Collections" which could possibly mean future hardcovers or a different format.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.