Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I loved Happy but I read it as a Garth Ennis book and not a Morrison one Maybe because of the art but the whole story has an Ennis vibe for me (except there is no war element).
    I read the first issue on comixology and enjoyed it so waited for the trade. When I read that it just didn't live up to the excitement of the first. It might have been the (physical) reading experience or the story. But I just didn't enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    We've got some hot takes in this thread

I've never been able to get into Y the Last Man. I've tried twice and just cannot see why it is considered such a classic.
    Y started off really strong but the ending was awful, in fact I think I gave away my collection as I was so annoyed with how it ended. It also put me off BKV for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    From my last few reads i found Morrisons New X-Men, Hickmans FF and Fear Agent by Remender to be a bit overrated.
    I read a few Fear Agent trades and really didn't get the hype especially as I really enjoyed hi End League and generally love sci fi.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchstickJohnny View Post
    I enjoyed Hickman's Fantastic Four. I stopped reading Fantastic Four floppies in 2008 when McDuffie ended (553)and Millar/Hitch began. I figured it was a good point to jump ship and never looked back. In 2012 issue #605.1 caught my eye because I noticed Hickman was doing inter dimensional time stuff. I was already too far behind but I did pick up issues 609-611 for the Ryan Stegman art. I figure the best route would be going collected. I picked up Fantastic Four Hickman PHC vols 1 and 4. Started reading vol 1 and then moved onto vol 4. Eventually, I finished off the rest of the run with the rest of the volumes in TPB. Now I have this nagging compulsion to replace the PHCs with TPB just so I have a uniform set. I would read these again because it is worth the re-read.
    A Comixology sale got me into the Hickman FF books, up to that point I wasn't going to bother with them. I'm glad i did as they were one of the best Marvel books I've read in a long time.

Overrated:
    Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man - the entire thing
    Batman - Hush
    Batman - A lonely Place of Dying
    Batman - Under the Red Hood
    Batman - Prodigal
    Superman/Batman - Public Enemies
    Superman/Batman - Supergirl
    Kurt Busiek's Thunderbolts run
    Spider-Gwen
    Geoff John's Green Lantern run

Underrated:
    Nicienza's Thunderbolts run
    Nicienza's Gambit
    Ann Nocenti's Daredevil
    Chichester's Daredevil
    Levitz's Legion of Super-Heroes
    Mark Waid's Legion of Super-Heroes
    Superman/Batman - "The Boys are back in Town"
    Superman/Batman - Absolute Power
    Superman/Batman - The Search for Kryptonite
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 03-08-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I read a few Fear Agent trades and really didn't get the hype especially as I really enjoyed hi End League and generally love sci fi.
    Fear Agent really comes together at the end when the big picture is revealed. I was wondering what all the hype was about then got to the last arc and it all clicks, I will definitely give it a reread to see how it fairs with a bit more insight.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Overrated:
    Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man - the entire thing
    Batman - Hush
    Batman - A lonely Place of Dying
    Batman - Under the Red Hood
    Batman - Prodigal
    Superman/Batman - Public Enemies
    Superman/Batman - Supergirl
    Kurt Busiek's Thunderbolts run
    Spider-Gwen
    Geoff John's Green Lantern run

Underrated:
    Nicienza's Thunderbolts run
    Nicienza's Gambit
    Ann Nocenti's Daredevil
    Chichester's Daredevil
    Levitz's Legion of Super-Heroes
    Mark Waid's Legion of Super-Heroes
    Superman/Batman - "The Boys are back in Town"
    Superman/Batman - Absolute Power
    Superman/Batman - The Search for Kryptonite
    I've been tempted to go for the Chichester DD Epic because I really like McDaniels art. Is it closer to Miller in terms of action and tone or the more over the top, almost cheesy kind of stuff?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    There's a few "classic" omnibuses I've picked up and just not been impressed with. Millers DD, Infinity Gauntlet and Busieks Avengers. I managed to get about half way through the books before giving up. More than any other reason, I think the art in all three is a big turn off.
    Some people just read for art more than me. Art has to be so extremely bad to turn me off of very good/great writing. Those Omnibuses aren't even close to that category for me, I love the art in those. "Classic" comic book art just...not your cup of tea?
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Over:
    Claremont's X-Men - pick anything.
    Nextwave
    Invisibles

Under:
    Truth: Red, White, and Black
    The Order
    McGruder's Birth of a Nation OGN
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Mighty Member

Y started off really strong but the ending was awful, in fact I think I gave away my collection as I was so annoyed with how it ended. It also put me off BKV for a while.
    That's odd as the ending is generally considered one of the best things about that run. I enjoyed it personally, but it didn't live up to the massive hype it receives. I generally hold this book in high regards though, as it has proven to be a great gateway book for non comic fans

I'd try different approach.

Overrated:

Most of super hero books, specially from Marvel. Cosmic Marvel and things like Annihilation. Just too many to name them.

Underrated:

2000AD as a publisher. They've done so much crazy stuff and still do.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    That's odd as the ending is generally considered one of the best things about that run. I enjoyed it personally, but it didn't live up to the massive hype it receives. I generally hold this book in high regards though, as it has proven to be a great gateway book for non comic fans
    The ending is a gut punch but it being painful doesn't make it bad but I could see how people were gutted enough to think it lacks quality ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Fear Agent really comes together at the end when the big picture is revealed. I was wondering what all the hype was about then got to the last arc and it all clicks, I will definitely give it a reread to see how it fairs with a bit more insight.
    Ah man, now I'm going to want to read it.

:|

I love books that do that and make you want to reread the whole lot. Warlock by Greg Pak was the same; until that last issue that tied it all together it was not the best of books but the final issue made it a fantastic one. It is one of the few single issue collections I have.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    From what I remember the epilogue bit was fine but the couple of chapters leading up to the end is where it fell away for me.

Spectacular Member

From what I remember the epilogue bit was fine but the couple of chapters leading up to the end is where it fell away for me.

It did get a bit wonky near the end in terms of explaining what happened but the character development and interaction was all really good. Also the epilogue was perfect IMO.