Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Jessica Jones is probably the most unlikable protagonist in any Marvel book, but despite that the stories were awesome. I felt that her character later on in New Avengers was a completely different person.

Same thing with Constantine in Hellblazer, unlikeable bastard, but awesome stories.
    Don't know man, Frank Castle from Ennis MAX run...

Underrated:

Terry Moore's books, Echo and SiP. Nobody can write female characters like him, dialogue is all natural and smooth, can't really think about more flawless dialogues in comics. Just buy them, guys!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Don't know man, Frank Castle from Ennis MAX run...

Underrated:

Terry Moore's books, Echo and SiP. Nobody can write female characters like him, dialogue is all natural and smooth, can't really think about more flawless dialogues in comics. Just buy them, guys!
    How dare you not include Rachel Rising!?!? My favorite of his work. And yes the dialogue is a treat.

Overrated:

1. The Dark Knight Returns - Miller
    2. All-Star Superman - Morrison
    3. Punisher - Ennis
    4. X-Men - Claremont
    5. Lumberjanes - Stevenson

Underrated:

1. Conan - Busiek
    2. Joker - Azzarello
    3. Justice Society - Johns
    4. Locke and Key - Hill
    5. Scalped - Aaron
    6. Lumberjanes - Stevenson
    7. Big Trouble in Little China - Powell

Does Lumberjanes being on both lists make it the definition of average?

I was trying to express that while, yes, it's a very good adventure story, probably the best that's come out in a long while, some of its fans also tend to treat it like the be-all and end-all of teen books. The same way some people claim Harry Potter is great literature.

Underrated: Astro City by Busiek. This book is a treat. I can't remember an issue I did not like. I know it is generally critically praised, but I feel like it's not talked about nearly as much as it should be.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Underrated: The Royals by Rob Williams, Concrete, Showcase presents Jonah Hex and SHAZAM. Overrated, I couldn't get into Bone. I did love Rasl.

Underrated by analysis:

I always see Absolute Watchmen when people post collection pictures, but I almost never see Absolute V for Vendetta.

Do Moore fans rank V lower than his other output? Is it a case of poor reproduction of the Absolute? Or are most comic fans compelled to own Watchmen due to it's historical significance alone?

Fantastic Member

I personally enjoyed V a lot more than Watchmen.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    Underrated by analysis:

I always see Absolute Watchmen when people post collection pictures, but I almost never see Absolute V for Vendetta.

Do Moore fans rank V lower than his other output? Is it a case of poor reproduction of the Absolute? Or are most comic fans compelled to own Watchmen due to it's historical significance alone?
    I'm personally waiting on a black and white edition, like the original Warrior magazines. Kind of like Batman Year One, I think the story reads perfectly in standard size. If I were to upgrade, it'd purely be to appreciate the line work, which doesn't come through with the way it's colored.

I can't believe we're getting a Watchmen coloring book before this though.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    How dare you not include Rachel Rising!?!? My favorite of his work. And yes the dialogue is a treat.
    I'm soooo sorry, haven't read it, waiting for collected edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    the whole story and the backups (which are absolutely unnecessary to read IMO) are collected in 2 Library editions. Top quality, bigger than an ohc but and good price.
    Cool, I'll keep an eye out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    I'd try different approach.

Overrated:

Most of super hero books, specially from Marvel. Cosmic Marvel and things like Annihilation. Just too many to name them.

Underrated:

2000AD as a publisher. They've done so much crazy stuff and still do.
    Yes 2000AD are crazy underrated on the American side, even though it has had a massive influence on comics with many massively popular writers and artist starting out there. Morrison, Moore, Millar, Ennis, Boland, Dillon, Milligan, O'Neill, Gibbons, Abnett, Irving, and Jock. I will never understand how the collected editions do not appeal to American comic fans, as it is just a giant pool of amazing sci-fi, fantasy, or other types of comics. Maybe it is the complete lack of having no real superheroes, but the indie scene does not heavily focus of superheroes and does well, something that 2000AD as done since the late 70s allowing writers to tell stories and not be forced to fit them into a continuity and allowing creators to tell stories they want to tell without much editing interference from Tharg the Mighty.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Yes 2000AD are crazy underrated on the American side, even though it has had a massive influence on comics with many massively popular writers and artist starting out there. Morrison, Moore, Millar, Ennis, Boland, Dillon, Milligan, O'Neill, Gibbons, Abnett, Irving, and Jock. I will never understand how the collected editions do not appeal to American comic fans, as it is just a giant pool of amazing sci-fi, fantasy, or other types of comics. Maybe it is the complete lack of having no real superheroes, but the indie scene does not heavily focus of superheroes and does well, something that 2000AD as done since the late 70s allowing writers to tell stories and not be forced to fit them into a continuity and allowing creators to tell stories they want to tell without much editing interference from Tharg the Mighty.
    weirdly I love the brittish, scottish etc writers on american books but UK comics usually just doesn't connect with me.
    Even Zenith. It was good but didn't like it as much as Morrison' other works.

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Underrated:

Anything by Joe Kelly. He has offered some of the best stories, if not the best, for Deadpool, Superman, and Spider-Man. His creator owned work such as Bad Dog, Four Eyes, and I Kill Giants are must reads. Again though, his Spider-Man stuff (and even the current Spidey/Deadpool teamup book) is some of the best stuff; he can write the witty banter, captures the Parker luck, and writes some of the best foils to both Spider-Man and Peter Parker.