Thread: Venom movie

twsnell1984

Default Venom movie

Since hollywood has to plan everything out in at least a trilogy, I'm hoping they are thinking ahead to do this as:

1 - Venom
    2 - Agent Venom
    3 - Venom: Spaceknight

I'd be down for all that. Anybody else have thoughts? Better ideas?

I get that they've been planning a Venom film for years, although there seems to be a link between rushing spinoffs and crappy Spider-Man sequels.

I'd like them to wait.

The Flash Thompson Venom can be an interesting film lead. That's probably the best possible take on the series. Eddie Brock's not that interesting a lead, while the horror takes on the character lose what made Spider-Man interesting.

The way I'd do it.

2018/ 2019- Spider-Man gets the alien costume in "Infinity War"
    2019- Spider-Man sequel as he learns about the problems of the Alien Costume.
    2021- Spider-Man sequel with Eddie Brock Venom.
    2022- Agent Venom movie.

If they want it a bit faster.
    2017- Introduce Flash and Eddie Brock in the MCU Spider-Man film.
    2018/ 2019- Alien Costume in Infinity War.
    2019- Spider-Man sequel with Eddie Brock Venom.
    2020- Agent Venom movie.

I do think it's important to introduce Venom and the symbiote in the Spider-Man films first.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Does all the pushing of Venom (remember that Sam Raimi didn't even want him to be in Spider-Man 3) that Fox tries to do come down to Avi Arad? I seem to remember reading about him being a massive fan of the character and it's commercial potential, or did I imagine that?
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Does all the pushing of Venom (remember that Sam Raimi didn't even want him to be in Spider-Man 3) that Fox tries to do come down to Avi Arad? I seem to remember reading about him being a massive fan of the character and it's commercial potential, or did I imagine that?
    Avi Arad has said something along the lines of, if Spider-Man were to be in the MCU, he'd have to be on top. So I can't imagine he's particular happy with the arrangement with Disney, and I think part of it was Kevin Feige wanted to exclude Arad. The movie really seems like Arad and Tolmach trying to continue having control over the franchise without having to concede to Disney.

However, relating to the thread of what Spider-Man can learn from the success of Deadpool, I think this is the answer. Bob Iger was clear that the Avengers movies aren't going to aim for an R-rated movie, but that only speaks for Disney. So I wouldn't put it past Sony to try and hop on the R-rated bandwagon, and they see Venom as the character to do that with.

I could definitely see an attempt to go with a film version of Venom's surface appeal in the 1990s.

I don't think it would be a good idea, but I could definitely imagine a studio doing it, especially after the success of Deadpool.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

This can't happen. Correction, it won't. Avi Arad needs to freaking back off...

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I get that they've been planning a Venom film for years, although there seems to be a link between rushing spinoffs and crappy Spider-Man sequels.

I'd like them to wait.

The Flash Thompson Venom can be an interesting film lead. That's probably the best possible take on the series. Eddie Brock's not that interesting a lead, while the horror takes on the character lose what made Spider-Man interesting.

The way I'd do it.

2022- Agent Venom movie.

2020- Agent Venom movie.

I do think it's important to introduce Venom and the symbiote in the Spider-Man films first.
    Those timelines/ storylines actually work for me. I don't see it happening, but it would very much work for me.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I'd like them to wait.

The way I'd do it.

2022- Agent Venom movie.

2020- Agent Venom movie.

It has to be said that the Venom spin-off will be unrelated to the MCU/Spider-Man reboot. It will be in it's own universe.

And I think they'll be going with Eddie as Venom since Arad seems to be a fan of 90's Venom.

I could definitely see an attempt to go with a film version of Venom's surface appeal in the 1990s.

I don't think it would be a good idea, but I could definitely imagine a studio doing it, especially after the success of Deadpool.
    I'd say Deadpool's success was more tied to the promise of low-brow humor than the promise of gratuitous violence, although the latter aspect probably played a part as well. I guess you could technically tweak Venom into something closer to Deadpool (it's not like he's been a complete stranger to cheesy one liners and bad puns throughout his career), but wouldn't prospective audiences see through that?
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    I'd say Deadpool's success was more tied to the promise of low-brow humor than the promise of gratuitous violence, although the latter aspect probably played a part as well. I guess you could technically tweak Venom into something closer to Deadpool (it's not like he's been a complete stranger to cheesy one liners and bad puns throughout his career), but wouldn't prospective audiences see through that?
    I think Venom's alien horror brain eating monster who protects the innocent concept is enough to distinguish him from Deadpool.