DHSmythson

Default World's Greatest Detective?

What do you consider the best Batman mysteries?
    Where Batman does some real detective work?

Batman Broken City
    Batman Black Mirror
    Batman Long Halloween&Dark Victory
    Batman Hush
    Batman Court of Owls
    Batman Gotham by Gaslight

The Claw of Justice!

I love the detective aspect of Batman stories, and I wish writers would use it more often.
    Batman: The Black Mirror is a good example, although Dick Grayson is Batman at that point. One of Snyder's best stories, I think.
    Gotham by Gaslight is a great detective story, and overall one of the best Batman books. Gaslight Batman may be my favorite version of the character.
    Batman: The Doom that Came to Gotham also has Batman doing a bunch of detective work, but be warned: this story is bizarre. Not in a bad way (it's one of my favorite comics), but it's written by Mike Mignola and uses a lot of elements of HP Lovecraft. Batman is characterized a lot like Hellboy and uses a gun. It's definitely worth a read.
    I think I like a lot of the Elseworlds stories set in the past because Batman has to do actual investigating instead of using fancy Bat gadgets to solve crimes. That's also part of why I like the Lobster Johnson books so much.
    Last edited by LobsterJohnson; 03-06-2016 at 10:12 AM.

I too would love to know more batman detective stories. The one i've read (long hallloween, hush, black mirror, court of owls) are the best batman stories to me. Wish it was used more.

Would love a complete list of the best ones!

Batman detective by Paul Dini and the rest of his run show how great a detective he is.
    Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.

If you are willing to give silver age/bronze age Batman a try, you could pick up any of the six volumes of the Showcase Presents series. These cover Batman and Detective Comics from 1964-1972. It seems like Batman used his detective skills pretty frequently back then. Note that these volumes are in black-and-white though, but you can get over 500 pages of comics for about $20 a book.
    Last edited by kevink31593; 03-07-2016 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    I think I like a lot of the Elseworlds stories set in the past because Batman has to do actual investigating instead of using fancy Bat gadgets to solve crimes
    True, the whole Batman concept works better in a 30's to 60's set up imo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alfreds Butler View Post
    Batman detective by Paul Dini and the rest of his run show how great a detective he is.
    Most of those one-shot stories present him with a grand total of one suspect. And then ther was also the one where he 'detected' some random guy must be the culprit because he worked out.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Batman did a ton of detectiving in the 70s and early 80s, but DC will never collect that period well (too expensive with restoration and royalties). I was forced to custom bind.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Most of those one-shot stories present him with a grand total of one suspect. And then ther was also the one where he 'detected' some random guy must be the culprit because he worked out.
    I can tell your a fan I liked the stories involving riddler

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alfreds Butler View Post
    I can tell your a fan I liked the stories involving riddler
    It was my favourite characterisation for the Riddler of all time. The plots for the stories were... not so good.

Paul Dini is really excellent with the characerisation of the various Bat-characters, but he less good in crafting stories.
    Last edited by Carabas; 03-07-2016 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It was my favourite characterisation for the Riddler of all time. The plots for the stories were... not so good.

Paul Dini is really excellent with the characerisation of the various Bat-characters, but he less good in crafting stories.
    I'll give that some of the stories are quite straightforward but I liked em reminded me of btas