Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Tomasi's "Super League" Guides The DC Universe Into Its Rebirth

Peter Tomasi promises a big story and bigger ramifications as Superman's next mega-arc leads the DC into Rebirth.

Full article here.

So I guess this kind of confirms that Rebirth is not a complete reboot that will wipe away the new 52 continuity if this storyline is continuing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    So I guess this kind of confirms that Rebirth is not a complete reboot that will wipe away the new 52 continuity if this storyline is continuing.
    at least not Superman. bleeding cool said there was different pitches for different characters.
    so new 52 version will keep going, of course DC took the wrong decision.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Possibly, but technically if Rebirth ends up say, merging the two Supermen and their continuities into one, resulting in a "new" Superman and a new DCU that merges Pre and Post Flashpoint, it continues the story starting here. It could very well be just semantics. Remember the New 52 was constantly touted as a relaunch and not a reboot, a retweaking of certain things at the most. DC kept insisting that right until the actual books launched, when they quietly acknowledged yes it was indeed a reboot. Not saying you are wrong,but again it depends on what DC defines as a reboot. If you want to get really technical,The DCU never rebooted if you take into account all the event series like COIE, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis and Flashpoint as all part of an ongoing narrative.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 03-07-2016 at 09:55 AM.

I just hope Lois gets something better in terms of a storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Possibly, but technically if Rebirth ends up say, merging the two Supermen and their continuities into one, resulting in a "new" Superman and a new DCU that merges Pre and Post Flashpoint, it continues the story starting here. It could very well be just semantics. Remember the New 52 was constantly touted as a relaunch and not a reboot, a retweaking of certain things at the mo. DC kept insisting that right until the actual books launched, when they quietly acknowledged yes it was indeed a reboot. Not saying you are wrong,but again it depends on what DC defines as a reboot. If you want to get really technical,The DCU never rebooted if you take into account all the event series like COIE, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis and Flashpoint as all part of an ongoing narrative.
    I think it may be a little close to the "all new all different" thing Marvel is doing where they will make some tweaks but not change the whole continuity hell I guess Zero Hour would be a better comparison.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

They've said repeatedly that this will still be the new 52 universe, so I don't know why you would think otherwise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkPeril View Post
    I just hope Lois gets something better in terms of a storyline.
    if tomasi is writing the superman book, for that book I don't expect nothing good for Lois. Now if jurgens is writing action I get some hope.
    new 52 has been a constant humiliation for Lois

Fingers crossed for a Majestic cameo.

Seriously though. I speculate New Earth heroes will become Legacy Heroes, because New Earth Superman has practically evolved into his Earth 2 counterpart. That being said, I hope this Super-League is actually good.

Wow this sounds lame...Really Batman? I dont remember him calling Supes for BatInc. Seriously the less Batman in the superbooks the better. I dont thibk the WW and Superman thing worked. Mostly because of the crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    at least not Superman. bleeding cool said there was different pitches for different characters.
    so new 52 version will keep going, of course DC took the wrong decision.
    and how was it wrong? n52 is the current incarnation

wrong would be to erase him and bring the old one to the forefront, i agree with the saying that the focus should be on "the man of tomorow" and not "the man of yesterday"

bschatz

As a retailer, I have to say this interview is... interesting. Obviously, not a lot can be said, but even with what CAN be talked about, there's some keywords that they need to put in there to help with sales.

Tomasi saying that this leads into Rebirth is both good and bad. The good, is that the interest in Rebirth should goose the numbers on this run of 8 issues. The bad? That comes at the price of potentially truncating Rebirth sales. If readers are hearing "buy this eight issue, four title crossover to find out what happens next", some will inevitably think they NEED these to know what comes next - and a retailer will take that set of data, look at the (not very great) sales numbers on the Superman line right now, and will factor that into orders. That will actually hurt the numbers for what comes next more than it will help what's happening now - and the focus should always be on forward momentum, and not current standing.

The missing piece of data would be to stress that this could be viewed as a prologue, but one that is NOT required to understand anything happening in Rebirth. Readers who are interested in obtaining every bit of information before the launch will read the arc in both scenarios. Readers who are looking for completely fresh start will need to be assured they won't need to pre-buy into 8 issues of the tail end of 4 series.

Brandon Schatz // Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Wow this sounds lame...Really Batman? I dont remember him calling Supes for BatInc. Seriously the less Batman in the superbooks the better. I dont thibk the WW and Superman thing worked. Mostly because of the crossovers.
    I think Diana and Kal are fantastic per se but thus far only because of Charles Soule's "Power Couple" arc in SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN and some of Geoff Johns pre-Darkseid War moments in JUSTICE LEAGUE. Peter J. Tomasi's takeover arc from Soule was inferior to "Power Couple." Wonderstar/Magog and Circe were a mess and a half. I hope Diana and Kal continue because in no way have readers seen their adult romantic relationship truly play out fully from JUSTICE LEAGUE #12 to what's taken place in SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN to date.

I do agree with you that the crossovers not just mostly but completely ruined SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN because the focus of the book shifted away from the title characters and ill-advisedly honed in on nonsense like Superdoom and the ubiquitous Vandal Savage and his irritating offspring.

Ditto re: Batman. We did not see any SuperBat in BATMAN, INC.
    Last edited by NYCER; 03-07-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Different writers depict Batman and Superman's relationship differently. Tomasi just said that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    and how was it wrong? n52 is the current incarnation

wrong would be to erase him and bring the old one to the forefront, i agree with the saying that the focus should be on "the man of tomorow" and not "the man of yesterday"
    just because pre-52 sueprman is older doesn't mean he can't be the 'man of tomorrow". new 52 is a retrocess on the character development of pre-52 superman.

I'm not saying ṕre-52 so=hould be the superman on rebirth, just that new52 has some good rejection going towards him.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    I think Diana and Kal are fantastic per se but thus far only because of Charles Soule's "Power Couple" arc in SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN and some of Geoff Johns pre-Darkseid War moments in JUSTICE LEAGUE. Peter J. Tomasi's takeover arc from Soule was inferior to "Power Couple." Wonderstar/Magog and Circe were a mess and a half. I hope Diana and Kal continue because in no way have readers seen their adult romantic relationship truly play out fully from JUSTICE LEAGUE #12 to what's taken place in SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN to date.

I do agree with you that the crossovers not just mostly but completely ruined SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN because the focus of the book shifted away from the title characters and ill-advisedly honed in on nonsense like Superdoom and the ubiquitous Vandal Savage and his irritating offspring.

Ditto re: Batman. We did not see any SuperBat in BATMAN, INC.
    Adult? it was all about being alone and afraid of going forward with simple humans. much more teenage angsty than anything resembling a adult relationship.

I just can't wait to WW have her own romantic adventures, like a indepedent woman she is.