Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If the Fantastic 4 Get A New Book I'll Sub!

Never purchased (or read) a Fantastic 4 book in my life, but if they get an ANAD book I'll buy it. I think Marvel's First Family deserves better than to be shelved or divided up on other teams. What say you, fellow board members?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I know I'll buy a Fantastic Four relaunch. I've read every issue and I own quite a few volumes of the Marvel Masterworks and the John Byrne Visionaries. I also picked up the DVD that the Gitcorp company made some years back and it has all the issues up to near the end of Mark Waid's run.

Some advice though. I hope you don't plan on getting the Marvel subscription for the issues to be mailed to you. I hear it's still pretty bad. Have it added to your pull list at an LCS or go digital if you don't have a shop nearby. There's some online stores that are actually better at mailing the issues than Marvel is

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Never purchased (or read) a Fantastic 4 book in my life, but if they get an ANAD book I'll buy it. I think Marvel's First Family deserves better than to be shelved or divided up on other teams. What say you, fellow board members?
    Honest question: If you've never read or purchased a FF book in your life, why do you care what Marvel does or doesn't do with them?

If you have a genuine interest in the FF, there's decade's worth of classic stories you could aquatint yourself with.

I do expect that the FF will be back at some point. I think it's a given that they won't be shelved forever but the truth is that a number of good creative teams have worked on the book in recent years and the response from the readership has been indifference. I think the FF has been taken for granted as something that will always be there and somehow doesn't need to be supported by consumer dollars. But, just like any other book, it needs to sell in order to survive. Maybe a break will help fans be more eager to pick it up when it does come back.

Ultimate Member

I've read the last few runs of FF which unfortunately a lot of people on these boards didn't.

When the book is re-launched, I'll pick it up again

All that being said, comic fans need to complain less and support what they like more. To quote Will Munny from Unforgiven "deserve ain't got nothing to do with it".
    Last edited by Username taken; 03-07-2016 at 11:42 AM.

i think it's a crying shame what happened to the four in their last year. you could tell the creative interest in that book took a nosedive.

i would wholeheartedly sub to a new ff book. to me, without the four in the marvel universe, the marvel universe is missing a piece of its soul..

I thinking the break will help the Fantastic Four, has mentioned, it has been taken for granted has something that will always be there, so a break will let people miss the FF, while Marvel waits for a good pitch or Fox to give up FF rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Honest question: If you've never read or purchased a FF book in your life, why do you care what Marvel does or doesn't do with them?
    For starters I know there are people who do care and have been long-time fans. I know how I would feel if the X-Men were to be cancelled. Plus, other than being familiar with the characters, it would be 100% fresh for me!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'll buy a FF book in a heartbeat
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I'll definitely be on board with a new Fantastic Four, especially if it focuses on the Richards family-Reed, Sue, Franklin and Valeria-adventures.

I do agree that the book was being taken for granted by readers. A break probably isn't a bad idea. I'll be anxious to see what the new take will be when it's eventually re-launched. Just hope it's not too long of a break.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

BANNED

I'd love a new FF book, but Marvel need to manage their own expectations about how much it'll sell. It was cancelled at about 25k last time I believe, which is not a great number of copies to sell, but it's comfortably above the cancellation point for most series. Marvel just need to face facts that the FF are no longer a major property, and accept that an FF book isn't going to do Spidey numbers these days. Once they do that, we might get a nice long FF run.

Fantastic Member

if it wasn't for me growing up watching the 90s x-men cartoon then Fantastic Four would probably be my favorite Marvel team, the fact they don't have a book just cause of this stupid movie fight between Marvel and Fox is a joke.

we should do a trending twitter thing to get attention to bring it back lol
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

I felt guilty about having not picked up Fantastic Four on a regular basis for a while once the news about the cancellation, which caused me to pick up the remaining issues of the Robinson run, so once the FF do make their triumphant return I'll be sure to pick up the first issue to show my support for the property

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I was thinking about picking up Hickman's run on FF. I've heard it was the last great hurrah for the FF before things went downhill for them.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i think it's a crying shame what happened to the four in their last year. you could tell the creative interest in that book took a nosedive.

i would wholeheartedly sub to a new ff book. to me, without the four in the marvel universe, the marvel universe is missing a piece of its soul..

Well to be fair, the Fraction FF book was great...but Marvel NOW! F4 was limited because Jonathan Hickman was writing Reed in New Avengers.

Reed Richards just finished being the center of one of the biggest Marvel stories in years. Time for him and his family to be on the shelf.

(and Hickman's F4/FF was great).

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    I'd love a new FF book, but Marvel need to manage their own expectations about how much it'll sell. It was cancelled at about 25k last time I believe, which is not a great number of copies to sell, but it's comfortably above the cancellation point for most series. Marvel just need to face facts that the FF are no longer a major property, and accept that an FF book isn't going to do Spidey numbers these days. Once they do that, we might get a nice long FF run.
    Cancellation numbers will vary depending on the creative team. James Robinson is going to get a higher page rate than Marguerite Bennett. Leonard Kirk will get a higher page rate than Erica Henderson. Higher-profile creative teams get more money, which means the book needs higher sales to keep making money. Robinson and Kirk are both top-notch creators, and their Fantastic Four run was high-quality. But it still didn't get great sales. That does indicate a certain level of fatigue with the franchise.

So, putting them on hold for a while is probably a good idea. It gets people missing them. Give it a couple years, and when they come back, hopefully, people get excited about its return and pick it up.