View Poll Results: Should Aunt May know that Peter is Spider-Man?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes she should know

32 88.89%
  • No she shouldn't

4 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should Aunt May know that Peter is Spider-Man?

Should Aunt May know that Peter is Spider-Man?

Personally I think that she should know the truth. Otherwise I don't feel that there's much point in keeping her around.

I wonder when the next Spider-Man movie comes around if Aunt May will know Peter is Spider-Man again.

Personally I find Aunt May more entertaining when she know Peter's secret versus her being oblivious to Peter's life as Spider-Man.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

I'm honestly interested in hearing the opinions of people who think she shouldn't know, because I don't see what it adds to the story that she not know the secret.

BANNED

Without a doubt. One of the best parts of JMS's run was Aunt May finding out and undergoing immense growth. That was easily her strongest period for her character. Reversing that knowledge was easily one of the worst aspects of One More Day (which is saying a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    I'm honestly interested in hearing the opinions of people who think she shouldn't know, because I don't see what it adds to the story that she not know the secret.
    Aunt May not knowing was a fun secret identity trope that really worked and contributed to drama for like 40 years and I can see why Slott keeps it. It’s an important part of the “classic” Spider-Man dynamic... but May finding out in JMS’s run was one of the smartest and most powerful moments in Spider-Man comics ever. It made her a stronger character and allowed for a closer relationship with Peter. It frees Peter from having to constantly lie to who is essentially his mother.

BANNED

Aunt May knowing Peter was Spiderman was great...that was another stupid thing that OMD got rid of that should have been left alone.

BANNED

The most recent Spider Man cartoon wasn't afraid to let May in on the secret [or Flash for that matter]

Bendis and JMS embraced the idea of May finding out, coming to terms with it in their own way, and then supporting it. It brought them closer together.

I don't see why the core stuff has to hold on to the classic tropes when so much more evolution and organic growth has come out of them moving past their cliched roles.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Aunt May should know. I never been a big fan of a hero's family and close friends not knowing their secret. It only creates unnecessary drama I can do without.

Fantastic Member

Yes. Her not knowing is the stupidest thing in the comic, and this is a comic where the protagonist sold his marriage to the devil, has a doctorate in 'science' and became the CEO of a multinational tech company because a robot manipulated stocks.

I disagree with the idea that there's no point to the character if she doesn't know. She's still irreplaceable as the most important person who knew Peter before he was Spider-Man. She's had key roles in excellent stories (Jenkins' euthanasia two-parter comes to mind.)

That said, she should know. It's a good engine for stories, gives her an interesting role, and doesn't make Peter's life easier, because now the woman who raised him knows he has a hobby of fighting serial killers.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Considering that the last time she was interesting to me was when she knew than I'd have to say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    I think they've pretty much mined the well as far as the drama or stories that can be told with Aunt May not knowing, and it just looks kind of bad on Peter's part that after all these years he still hasn't told her.

That she really regressed as a character and in her involvement in Peters' life after she forgot was another disappointing consequence of OMD.

Yes she should know. This was another of the things OMD ruined that was quite enjoyable and well written during the JMS time period. Their relationship was more realistic and such during the time period where she knew and Aunt May was more than the "dumb vanilla fretting old aunt".

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

I feel Aunt May should know after some time has passed with Peter being Spider-Man, having some big fights under his belt would help May feel a little better that her nephew is fighting mad men, obsessed aliens, mobsters, etc. Any relationship a superhero shares with another person knowing their secret identity feels more genuine with the addition of helping keep the dual identity a secret and less time lying to the person about all that unaccounted time.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

The whole "immediate family members can't know my secret identity" in general is a tired trope that should've been retired a long time ago.

Unless there's a built in reason why a character shouldn't know (i.e. strained relationship, parent despises vigiliantes, etc.) there's no reason to use the trope just for the sake of it.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 07-16-2017 at 02:03 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.