Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Spidey isn't racist; Why should we be?

MTU114_Jive.jpg

MTU114_WhiteGuy.jpg

If MJ is Peter's Soul Mate; Then it doesn't really matter if She is Black or White or Male or Female or Green with Pink Polka Dots, Does it?

I am pretty sure that if Peter Parker was in this world, He would be shocked and disgusted by some of the Vile, Racist rhetoric I've seen on the Web.
    Life is the algorithm through which Goddess explores the infinite possibilities of Her own existence.

Incredible Member Moral_Gutpunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Spider View Post
    Spidey isn't racist; Why should we be?
    I'm late to this thread. Is there actual racism here or just not-a-ginger-ism?

Because it's the first I've heard of actual racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Moral_Gutpunch View Post

There's actual racism on twitter and tumblr regarding Zendaya being MJ.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    There's actual racism on twitter and tumblr regarding Zendaya being MJ.
    First time I've heard of it. Thanks.

Sounds kinda silly, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Moral_Gutpunch View Post

Things are pretty good here at CBR, We have a decent group of Folks and some pretty good Mods. However, as Aruran has pointed out, There is some pretty ugly stuff out there. Specifically, I am not citing anyone here.

Since Miss Zendaya first got the role in Spider-man and People began speculating about whether She would play a love interest; I have read some pretty nasty comments in various places. I am a Goddess Worshipping, Tree Hugging, Feminist. Creeps and Cowards who like to target Women and Children make Me very, very, Angry.
    Last edited by Cosmic Spider; 08-20-2016 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Keeping it 100.
    Life is the algorithm through which Goddess explores the infinite possibilities of Her own existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Spider View Post
    Things are pretty good here at CBR, We have a decent group of Folks and some pretty good Mods. However, as Aruran has pointed out, There is some pretty ugly stuff out there. Specifically, I am not citing anyone here.

Since Miss Zendaya first got the role in Spider-man and People began speculating about whether She would play a love interest; I have read some pretty nasty comments in various places. I am a Goddess Worshipping, Tree Hugging, Feminist. Creeps and Cowards who like to target Women and Children make Me very, very, Angry.
    Sounds horrible. Especially when the issue could be answered by an esperienced haridresser.

BANNED

For the new ones on this thread:

On Twitter the issue is race. Here on CBR the issue is redhead or not a redhead. I think maybe because Twitter is filled with psychopathic SJW's and flamboyant racist individuals who have nothing better to do with themselves. Here on CBR though, you can actually have a discussion and even...gulp...disagree, without insults, small pets and and empty beer bottles being thrown at you.
    Last edited by zuperkrypto; 08-20-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I don't mind the race bending, but did they HAVE to cast a Disney Channel actor?! Seriously... why?

Well, Devin Faraci of Birth.Movies.Death just casually dropped in this tidbit in a follow-up about "Zendaya as MJ"

...my sources aren't convinced she's "Mary Jane," but I have been told in the past that she's playing "MJ," the abbreviation by which Mary Jane often goes. This means the name "Michelle" wouldn't be a lie, and that Marvel Studios wouldn't 100% be erasing Mary Jane's red hair; this is a twist on the character. So if Michelle's middle name begins with a J, you know this will be the case. Of course it's possible that my source just knows her as "Michelle" because that's what she's called on set, but I had heard about this before the name "Michelle" was even made public.
    If this is true, I'm not crazy about this at all. Because it would be Jason Gordon Levitt's "John Blake" from The Dark Knight Rises all over again. Which begs the question, if Zendaya is this film's version of Mary Jane, why not just call her "Mary Jane" and be done with it?
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Well, Devin Faraci of Birth.Movies.Death just casually dropped in this tidbit in a follow-up about "Zendaya as MJ"

If this is true, I'm not crazy about this at all. Because it would be Jason Gordon Levitt's "John Blake" from The Dark Knight Rises all over again. Which begs the question, if Zendaya is this film's version of Mary Jane, why not just call her "Mary Jane" and be done with it?
    Yeah, if she's going to be Mary Jane, then just call her that. Don't just go half-way.

But I thought about whether they might do this, given they might be changing Flash's first name to accomodate the race-change. Maybe the same way with "Ned Leeds" being "Ned Lee" like in Spectacular.

Maybe they just didn't think Mary Jane worked as a name for a teenager in 2016? Like "Laurel vs. Dinah" Lance on Arrow?
    Last edited by Frontier; 08-20-2016 at 06:03 PM.

BANNED

"Michelle" is Mary Jane's secret identity, a parallel to Peter Parker and Spider-Man. She's a teen model but just wants to be treated normal, so she dresses herself down and shys away from making friends or standing out. Which of course leads to the big Homecoming Dance "You Just Hit the Jackpot" reveal at the end where she comes out lookin' stunning, its Mary-Jane Watson.

i'm happy to let go of mj as a redhead in adaptations as much as i'd be happy for tony stark to not have a moustache. which is totally happy, if that was unclear.

i quite like viewtifuljc's take on the whole naming controversy. i can't really blame the writer/producers for wanting to create a little mystery/reveal/deflection when the story and relationships are so well known to the point of utter familiarity.
    troo fan or death

The character's introduction has traditionally been treated with mystery, teases and deflection, so I don't see why the movie should be different.

Regarding the name, I too am in the ViewtifulJC camp in hoping that "Michelle" is just an alias or nickname of sorts to hide Mary Jane Watson's true identity, as opposed to a John Blake situation. If Marvel/Sony wants to give us Black MJ, then give us Black MJ! Don't cop out midway and just give an "MJ" of sorts.

I guess if there's one thing they'll probably change about MJ because of the race-change, it's her family issues. I don't think they'd want to portray her dad as abusive as he generally is in the comics or any other adaptions if he's African-American like Zendaya's dad is, because of the implications. Though in doing so we would lose at least one major issue and conflict with MJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The character's introduction has traditionally been treated with mystery, teases and deflection, so I don't see why the movie should be different.

Regarding the name, I too am in the ViewtifulJC camp in hoping that "Michelle" is just an alias or nickname of sorts to hide Mary Jane Watson's true identity, as opposed to a John Blake situation. If Marvel/Sony wants to give us Black MJ, then give us Black MJ! Don't cop out midway and just give an "MJ" of sorts.
    Or half-black MJ, technically .
    Last edited by Frontier; 08-21-2016 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zuperkrypto View Post
    On Twitter the issue is race. Here on CBR the issue is redhead or not a redhead. I think maybe because Twitter is filled with psychopathic SJW's and flamboyant racist individuals who have nothing better to do with themselves. Here on CBR though, you can actually have a discussion and even...gulp...disagree, without insults, small pets and and empty beer bottles being thrown at you.
    I think it's because we have better mods

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I'd actually like to see this version on screen. Their meeting was treated like she almost got away before they even met.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess if there's one thing they'll probably change about MJ because of the race-change, it's her family issues. I don't think they'd want to portray her dad as abusive as he generally is in the comics or any other adaptions if he's African-American like Zendaya's dad is, because of the implications. Though in doing so we would lose at least one major issue and conflict with MJ.

Or half-black MJ, technically .
    I can see that, but why not make her mom the black one? Or not go with full black (I don't know, that might still be offensive)?