Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Zendaya could be an absolutely perfect MJ in my opinion, but this news almost seems too good to be true. I was initially convinced by the rumor, but upon further inspection, I'm not so sure it's valid. I'd love a Zendaya MJ, but to me the evidence isn't adding up.
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess if there's one thing they'll probably change about MJ because of the race-change, it's her family issues. I don't think they'd want to portray her dad as abusive as he generally is in the comics or any other adaptions if he's African-American like Zendaya's dad is, because of the implications. Though in doing so we would lose at least one major issue and conflict with MJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moral_Gutpunch View Post
    I can see that, but why not make her mom the black one? Or not go with full black (I don't know, that might still be offensive)?
    If my theory is correct about either Tyne Daly or Martha Kelly playing Aunt Anna (both of whom are white), then they are probably going with black mom/white dad. I think that would also make for some poignant sideplots later down the road if they choose to explore some of Tom DeFalco's Watson family drama.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Cool. Hope she does really well in both roles.

Interesting if she ends up being White Tiger. That would really involve a different direction than we have seen so far in any of the movies. Makes me wonder if this movie is going to be really street level and not having any of the classic supervillains.
    Spider-Man's Rogue's gallery is both diverse and amazing, they could go with a lower powered character like Shocker and it'd be fine. I mean, Herman Schultz was on that leaked casting sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Chicken View Post
    After all the negative press they've got from certain castings, I can't see marvel casting a non-hispanic actress in an hispanic role.
    I mean....if the rumors are to be believed it didn't stop them from casting a non-white person in a white person role.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Spider View Post
    Spidey isn't racist; Why should we be?

Attachment 39215

Attachment 39216

If MJ is Peter's Soul Mate; Then it doesn't really matter if She is Black or White or Male or Female or Green with Pink Polka Dots, Does it?

I am pretty sure that if Peter Parker was in this world, He would be shocked and disgusted by some of the Vile, Racist rhetoric I've seen on the Web.
    It wouldn't matter if she's white or black or silver or green if that's what she was, but that's not who she is. I fully expect Doctor Strange to be a good movie, but race/gender swapping the Ancient One is a crappy move. That's not who the character is. Characters have characteristics, and adaptations should try and stick to those characteristics as best as possible. That's what makes them adaptations and not just rip-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I mean....if the rumors are to be believed it didn't stop them from casting a non-white person in a white person role.
    yeah because those are two different things.

It wouldn't matter if she's white or black or silver or green if that's what she was, but that's not who she is. I fully expect Doctor Strange to be a good movie, but race/gender swapping the Ancient One is a crappy move. That's not who the character is. Characters have characteristics, and adaptations should try and stick to those characteristics as best as possible. That's what makes them adaptations and not just rip-offs.
    is her "whiteness" an intrinsic characteristic though? or is it something else that makes her mj?
    troo fan or death

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

So, Peter is stuck being white but Mary Jane isn't?

Huh.

Funny how they use the "character isn't defined by their skin color' to justify race-changing Mary Jane yet Peter remains a white male nerd.

Can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    So, Peter is stuck being white but Mary Jane isn't?

Huh.

Funny how they use the "character isn't defined by their skin color' to justify race-changing Mary Jane yet Peter remains a white male nerd.

Can't have it both ways.
    I think a lot of the supporting characters being racebent is meant to make up for the criticisms levied after the "Peter Parker MUST be Caucasian" casting call sheet leak.

I thought that clause was embarrassing to include, but at least now they are actively taking steps to remedy it. Tom Holland has already been cast and he has shown he can be an awesome Peter Parker/Spider-Man, so all's good. Now let's hope Zendaya is amazing too.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    is her "whiteness" an intrinsic characteristic though? or is it something else that makes her mj?
    I'd say her having red hair is an important characteristic of Mary Jane. Because her character is always suppose to stand out in a room of people, and John Romita Sr choose red hair cause she could stand out and being viewed different from Gwen who was a blonde.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I'd say her having red hair is an important characteristic of Mary Jane. Because her character is always suppose to stand out in a room of people, and John Romita Sr choose red hair cause she could stand out and being viewed different from Gwen who was a blonde.
    Romita chose red hair because he modeled MJ after Ann-Margret in Bye Bye Birdie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Romita chose red hair because he modeled MJ after Ann-Margret in Bye Bye Birdie.
    I misremembered that.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

The point still stands that Mary Jane's red hair has always been part of her attention grabbing style and personality .

So I do hope Zendaya dyes her hair at some point .

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    yeah because those are two different things.
    No they're not? Not sure if you're series there.

How a character looks is an intrinsic part of the character. Luke Cage and Hector Ayala dont' have to be Black or Hispanic respectively to make their stories work, but that's what they are. Because their general look is a part of who they are.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I think a lot of the supporting characters being racebent is meant to make up for the criticisms levied after the "Peter Parker MUST be Caucasian" casting call sheet leak.

I thought that clause was embarrassing to include, but at least now they are actively taking steps to remedy it. Tom Holland has already been cast and he has shown he can be an awesome Peter Parker/Spider-Man, so all's good. Now let's hope Zendaya is amazing too.
    I don't hear them at all.

I'm also against race changing.

Want a character of a different race?

Cast one.

For example.

Want a Latina? Use Ava or Anya. Don't make a white character into a Latina.

It's extremely racist in my eyes to race change characters as well as lazy. After all, why try with a real latina character when they can, say, make a popular white character into a latina?

It's disgusting.

Not to mention that if Mary Jane is race changed here but Peter isn't than its extremely sexist too as it implies that Peter can only get white while the ladies can be replaced with anyone they want regardless of it follows their iconic look or not.

Maybe she'll be a good actress but she'll not be a good Mary Jane as she isn't Mary Jane.

It's like casting a white guy as Luke Cage. Disgusting.

The point still stands that Mary Jane's red hair has always been part of her attention grabbing style and personality .

So I do hope Zendaya dyes her hair at some point .
    I hope she isn't Mary Jane as Mary Jane is a Caucasian redhead.

Zendaya isn't.

Cast her as another character who doesn't need a race change or make a new character entirely. Don't screw up one Of Marvel's most iconic female characters
    Last edited by Sardorim; 08-23-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Luke Cage is from the hood and is a powerful Bronx symbol so obviously his African-Americanness is inherent to him. What ties Mary Jane to whiteness other than color palette? Also, black actresses get even LESS opportunities than black actors so there's nothing insulting in racechanging female characters.

And they are taking a more traditional approach to high school Spidey here. There's no point in shoehorning other superheroes like Ava and Anya. USM cartoon did it and it is a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    And they are taking a more traditional approach to high school Spidey here. There's no point in shoehorning other superheroes like Ava and Anya. USM cartoon did it and it is a mess.
    I think that idea got thrown out the window the moment we saw who was playing Flash and Ned .

I think that idea got thrown out the window the moment we saw who was playing Flash and Ned .
    They're being very bold with this movie and its casting. I have to admit an admiration for the folks at Marvel/Sony. Certainly these choices are bolder than we got from the last set of Spider-Man films.