Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Collected Edition Recently Knocked Your Socks Off?

When purchasing trades, Omnis, Absolutes, etc. I maintain the mentality of purchasing blu rays of previously owned dvd copies:

My criteria is
    1 - The content - am I purchasing for the effects (ie art) or story?
    2 - Is the reproduction (sound, image - for comics - reproduction of art, extras, etc), the upgrade really worth the extra money?

With this in mind, additionally any criteria you may have, what collected editions exceeded your expectations?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Hellboy-Fear agent Library editions and Colossal Conan (these books are big, have the best paper and binding available and awssome reproductions. They're must haves. And the Sixth gun deluxe, that Hurtt art shines in those giant pages (larger than absolute even)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Amazing Member

DC's publication of the John Ostrander/Tom Mandrake TPB The Spectre: Crimes and Judgments blew me away. I was so glad to see this classic series get reprinted in thick TPBs and, rereading it nearly 20 years later, the story and art are still better than most of the comics published then -- AND now. This entire series should be as revered as is Neil Gaiman's Sandman, because it is just as good, if not better at times.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

Astonishin X-Men Omnibus

New Teen Titans Arhive Editions.

Best collected editions I own.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mixmaster View Post
    DC's publication of the John Ostrander/Tom Mandrake TPB The Spectre: Crimes and Judgments blew me away. I was so glad to see this classic series get reprinted in thick TPBs and, rereading it nearly 20 years later, the story and art are still better than most of the comics published then -- AND now. This entire series should be as revered as is Neil Gaiman's Sandman, because it is just as good, if not better at times.
    Agreed. I've been really happy with all of DC's recent oversized trades, especially the Vertigo releases. The new editions of Hellblazer and Lucifer are not only quality reproductions, they're also great bargains!

Wish I could say the same of Marvel's $40 trades...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Uncanny X-Force Omnibus - this one actually lived up to the hype, and probably exceeded it. A wonderful story all-around, and a great love letter to Morrison's run. A bunch of nice extras in the back, the most helpful of which is a Marvel Index-style recounting of everything that's happened in X-Force since it was created in Messiah Complex. Only mark against the book is that it's part of the current cost-cutting shoddy cover/paper/etc era.

Chew Smorgasbord Edition. Very nice!

Obviously, the Fear Agent: LE's.. these books are made so well.

I just blazed through the entire Locke and Key series and thought it was really good.

Going to give a shout out to Dark Horse here, I've been blown away twice now by their collected editions. First time, a couple of years back I won an Auction for Sin City Library Editions 1 & 2, went and picked it up and it was pretty staggering how big it was and how well put together the books where. Everything about it was quality.

I felt the same way when Colossal Conan showed up on more doorstep. Of course both of these books are very expensive, $150 each but still they were so impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    I felt the same way when Colossal Conan showed up on more doorstep. Of course both of these books are very expensive, $150 each but still they were so impressive.
    Yeah, Colossal Conan kinda' knocked my socks off as well. Initially with it's literal colossal size (the dimensions of an Absolute, with the thickness of two Omnibuses), but the content is great too, with solid writing and very nice art.

Fantastic Member

Yeah, gotta be Colossal Conan for me too. It is so huge, and yet so not compromised due to that hugeness (solid binding, thick meaty paper) that you can't help but be super impressed by the physical product and then you read it and the stories are actually just fantastic too.

Plus, I was lucky enough to get it brand new for $75cdn!

Udons 3 Street Fighter Classic hardcover books blew me away.

Jodorowsky's Final Incal.

What a goddamn gorgeous book.

Uncanny X-Force.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Absolute All-Star Superman and Hellboy Library Edition Vol 1. I got them both in January and they are my first forays into both formats. Absolutely gorgeous.

Marvel Epic Collection; The Avengers: The Final Threat
    My three favorite Avengers' stories in one collection.
    Avengers #160-#162: The Bride of Ultron
    Avengers #164-#166: The Nefaria Trilogy
    Avengers Annual #7 & Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2: The Death of Adam Warlock and Thanos.