Default The G'Nort Appreciation Threaderoo!

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G'Nort - The Greatest Green Lantern!

For those of you unfamiliar with G'Nort lore, and honestly, how could you be unfamiliar with that subject? But on the off chance there are one or two of you out there who don't know of the Greatest Green Lantern of all time...a relatively short history.

In the late 80's (late '87, early '88 to be exact), DC Comics published perhaps the worst DC crossover of all time (save maybe John Byrne's Genesis) called Millenium. If I remember correctly, the crossover centered on the Manhunters rebelling against their creators, the Guardians of the Universe. The crossover also had something to do with a group of super lame characters who came together to become The Chosen, who were later called The New Guardians, and they were supposed to usher in the next great wave of human evolution...or something. Or maybe that's X-Men I'm thinking about.

Either which way, the single greatest issue of the crossover is Justice League International #10.

This comic book not only brings us the first appearance of G'Nort, but also has Superman - the granddaddy of DC comic book heroes - giving G'Nort the respect he rightfully deserves as a fellow hero.

to be continued...

After that first appearance, G'Nort exploded onto the comic book scene like no other, taking over as the main character in titles such as Justice League America and Green Lantern.

Okay, maybe he wasn't quite the main character in either book, per se, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have been!

G'Nort also pushed his way into comic book series' such as Secret Origins (#34), Green Lantern Corps Quarterly (#1 - 5), and Mister Miracle (#6), often overshadowing ever character around him.

to be continued...

Something truly unique about G'Nort is that he is not only a sidekick himself to Guy Gardner...

...but G'Nort has also had two different sidekicks himself throughout his adventures as a Green Lantern. Debuting in Justice League America #36 was the Scarlet Skier, G'Nort's first sidekick. And debuting in Green Lantern Corps Quarterly #1 was Sax Girl, G'Nort's second sidekick!

Unfortunately, the two sidekicks never met.

More tomorrow! In the meantime, feel free to share your favorite stories of the greatest Green Lantern - G'Nort!

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize it'd be so huge. But that's G'Nort, bigger than life!!

Last edited by Pharozonk; 06-20-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Nice pic, Oddman. Thanks for the share!

Pharo, I was a member of Heat long ago, even got a membership card in the mail, between the years 96 - 98, I believe. Thanks for the pic! However, I was only an honorary member, because I was a Kyle Rayner fan. Gaaah! Don't hit me!

Artschooldropout...whoa! I had heard that G'Nort made a cameo near the end of Johns run, but I had no idea he was featured in a Larfleeze book. Maybe it's about time I go to my local comic shop and pick up some new books.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnort View Post

Pharo, I was a member of Heat long ago, even got a membership card in the mail, between the years 96 - 98, I believe. Thanks for the pic! However, I was only an honorary member, because I was a Kyle Rayner fan. Gaaah! Don't hit me!
    Haha I'm not actually a H.E.A.T member since I wasn't born until the group had already formed(1996). I'm a huge Hal Jordan fan and he's my favorite DC character so I support the group.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

from Who's Who Update Vol. 1 (August 1988):

dc needs to finally address this. does g'nort have a nose or a snout?