Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    It's pretty clear Loki did what he did in order to gain Laufey and the others trust. Do you think he's very bad with poison?

The only thing I disliked about this story is that Aaron is deliberately ignoring power levels to tell the story he wants to tell. Odin vs Thor is NOT even a fight. Jane Thor doing more than holding her ground against Odin males no sense and I half suspect this is done so in order to show "how bad ass" a woman whielding Thor's power can be. If that's the message they want to convey it's just goofy. We all get Jane Thor is bad ass, problem is when you face someone who's orders of magnitude more powerful than you are that amounts to nothing, and writing the story to accomodate the concept just seems like trying too hard to convey some sort of sociopolitical message.

Edit: I liked how Cul is not just another conspirator and is really loyal to Odin, but despite that he's still a tyrant and a despot.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Hang on why is everyone citing poison, did I miss something? I may have done but it looked like ice magic to me. Haven't got the issues to hand though. Anyone want to quote a poison reference?

Power levels are not how you write story. There is no power scale in the MU outside of guides and RPGs. That is why 'who would win' arguments are pointless. Even if you apply a top trumps approach to story you still end up with surprises.

I have gone over why Odin is not necessarily as powerful as even he thinks, in previous issue threads, but in this story we don't get to see a full on fight. Really it is only just starting, and Thor has already used two trump cards, possibly her only two worth using. And both of them felt legit and worth the pages spent on them. Odin didn't seem particularly hurt.

So yes Odin would probably win, and probably would have won, that doesn't mean he gets to click his fingers and win. He isn't that kind of deity in the comics, and he is potentially deluded about what kind of deity he really is. Mythology doesn't help us because there is much debate in learned circles about whether the Norse really saw him as a deity in the way we think of them today.

One thing is for certain, no contest is worth having in comics without at least a few traded blows.

Interestingly one of Odin's main functions in surviving manuscripts and inscriptions is as a legitimizing figure for leadership, so Aaron is arguably exploring a primary theme of Odin by questioning his unchallenged legitimacy. I am sure this theme will be addressed again once Odin has been out of the picture for a while. Especially as Cul is probably going to totally mess things up.

Hmm, leadership based on oppression brought about by fear of the enemy. Sounds political to me.
    I too couldn't get over how Thor was pounding on Odin. And I disagree when you're saying power levels are not how you write a story. Odin is an All-Father, pretty much only another All-Father or Celestial can go up against him. You shouldn't ignore that when you write a character. That doesn't mean he can't be beaten, but one on one, you can't just go toe to toe against him. Sure Thor could hold his/her own against him for a short while, but Odin was getting tossed around a little too much imo. I mean the guy was toying with Thanos taking his best shots and didn't even flinch for a second :/

Mighty Member

So has it finally been addressed in the comic book about Dr. Keith Kincaid and Jimmy's whereabouts? The only way Jane doesn't looks like a terrible person and a deadbeat mother is if they either show that Jimmy is already a grown up or if they make them both constructs of Odin's magic.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon