Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    Okay, Odin trusting Cul is just one big character derailment due to all the crud that Cul pulled during "Fear Itself" and all his other actions in the past. It's bad enough they trusted Loki in the past before he tried turning over a new leaf for good, but the fact that Odin would trust his brother whose known to be treacherous is beyond stupid.
    Family, who would have them.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousODG View Post
    Besides, it was such a sick fight. Odin was being plowed through the solar system like a ping pong ball bouncing off of moons and planets and being swallowed by the Great Red Spot storm while Jane Thor is blitzing him. That was just sensational. I mean, that friggin storm is bigger than the entire planet Earth. I gotta say, between the 3 Thors fighting Gorr, Old Galactus fighting King Thor and Jane Thor fighting Odin, Aaron sure knows how to write cosmic battles.
    While I liked the writing I thought the fight, and some other panels in the issue were a rare misstep from Dauterman. Some of it felt very cartoon like. If you compare it to Ribic, which I know is a bit unfair, his literally burned up the page with crackle and felt like the forces of nature themselves were being let loose before us.

The most acomplished moment in this issue was Odin feeling the attack on Freyja. That expression needed to contain a tumult of conflict and I think he pulled it off. The paused fighting poses helping to convey the shock. Equally the expressions on Loki's face needed to express a seriousness and ambivalent concern which again was nailed.

As to the writing I loved Loki and Freyja looking up through the smashed open side of the throne room watching the far distant fight as spectators. This helps to link the two storylines of Thor and Loki which I believe Aaron is deliberately mirroring.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-10-2016 at 01:27 AM.

The stupid feminism forced push aside, the Odin/Thor fight was a lot better than I thought it would be.

I don't actually mind it on paper, Thor was fighting Gorr in the last volume who's also Skyfather + in power from my estimation but the problem with this particular fight is that Odin/Thor have an extensive dynamic of Thor being a complete gnat to him.

Odin has literally snapped his fingers and owned Thor. Heimdall with a portion of the Odin Power was no selling hammer shots and so on. If this was Zeus, or Mephisto or whatever, it'd be perfectly fine. A high end showing I can get a boner from that will piss of Abhil but Odin is regarded as highly as he is for a reason.

The fight aside, perhaps the worst part about this whole run is the characterization of Odin. Tbh, I'd rather have Odin lose to Jane Thor if it meant he'd be written as wise and sane instead of some screaming sexist idiot. Odin has left Sif in charge of Asgard, he's had an elite force of warrior women since the dawn of time, he's many things but sexist is not one of them. This all feels so forced.

There could be so much more that could be done with this story. For example, Jane blames Odin for not letting her be with the love of her life (Thor) but this view is warped from her own perspective. Odin granted her the powers of an Asgardian God and gave her a trial and it was simply way too much for her mortal mind to handle and she failed the test. It was Odin being stern but protecting his son from loving a mortal woman who's short life span and inability to deal with certain events psychologically (At the time) would eventually cause him heartbreak. Dealing with that type of dynamic and opposing view points would be so much more interesting instead of broadly painting Odin as the villain.

This whole thing has honestly just been lazy, I don't understand why people enjoy it so much when you reflect on Odin and his history (Yes there are conflicting accounts on his stands here and there but for the most part he's not nearly as extreme as Aaron is writing him out to be).

Quote Originally Posted by Rage.Of.Olympus View Post
    There could be so much more that could be done with this story. For example, Jane blames Odin for not letting her be with the love of her life (Thor) but this view is warped from her own perspective. Odin granted her the powers of an Asgardian God and gave her a trial and it was simply way too much for her mortal mind to handle and she failed the test. It was Odin being stern but protecting his son from loving a mortal woman who's short life span and inability to deal with certain events psychologically (At the time) would eventually cause him heartbreak. Dealing with that type of dynamic and opposing view points would be so much more interesting instead of broadly painting Odin as the villain.
    I don't like how they are completely ignoring Jane's family, her children and her husband (which, by the way, she divorced and abandoned when she learnt that Thor was around again, and he accepted her back when Thor rejected her). They write her as if her family didn't exist at all, and when she speaks about her love for Thor and how she could be with him, but doesn't think about her husband and children even once, you can't but feel sad for them.

By the way, the fact that Jane Foster couldn't fight when she got Asgardian powers, but she behaves like a trained warrior after getting Mjolnir, combined with the fact that she speaks as an Asgardian... doesn't it point to Thor being a separate personality? Sort of like Roger Norvell.

This was absurd and ridiculous the fact that Jane-Thor not only able contend but stalemate for most part looked like she was winning the fight against bloodlust SkyFather Odin who far above her in power shouldn't even been a fight to fact Jane-Thor no-sold several energy attacks from Odin, to the fact Jane-Thor punches were ragdolling him across the Solar System to the point that he could barely react and in end when the fight got interrupted she came out looking better then he did with Odin being all bloody this is same Odin who stomped both Thanos and Silver Surfer both same time with little no effort who also fought likes of Galactus, Surtur and Set is now getting beaten and bloody by Jane-Thor is just ridiculous.

And on finally pages we got Thor back captured (still armless still dressed like hobo with even more longer bread) I prefer it if was dead least he wouldn't be humiliate anymore by Aaron who probably going to have Jane-Thor coming to he's rescue and probably have Thor pick up the ultimate hammer as if Thor needs have it in order have powers is Aaron forgetting that Thor the God of Thunder born with most of his own powers like i.e super strength durability speed lighting etc.
    Last edited by zoch; 03-10-2016 at 03:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

If Thor is able to pick up Ultimate Mjlonir, what does that say about his inability to do so with 616 Mjlonir and his 'title' of "Thor The Unworthy" from Secret Wars?

I imagine that can magic an explanation, or I imagine 1610 Mjlonir not being sentient/picky like 616 Mjlonir.

BANNED

The stupid feminism forced push aside, the Odin/Thor fight was a lot better than I thought it would be.

I don't actually mind it on paper, Thor was fighting Gorr in the last volume who's also Skyfather + in power from my estimation but the problem with this particular fight is that Odin/Thor have an extensive dynamic of Thor being a complete gnat to him.

Odin has literally snapped his fingers and owned Thor. Heimdall with a portion of the Odin Power was no selling hammer shots and so on. If this was Zeus, or Mephisto or whatever, it'd be perfectly fine. A high end showing I can get a boner from that will piss of Abhil but Odin is regarded as highly as he is for a reason.

The fight aside, perhaps the worst part about this whole run is the characterization of Odin. Tbh, I'd rather have Odin lose to Jane Thor if it meant he'd be written as wise and sane instead of some screaming sexist idiot. Odin has left Sif in charge of Asgard, he's had an elite force of warrior women since the dawn of time, he's many things but sexist is not one of them. This all feels so forced.

This whole thing has honestly just been lazy, I don't understand why people enjoy it so much when you reflect on Odin and his history (Yes there are conflicting accounts on his stands here and there but for the most part he's not nearly as extreme as Aaron is writing him out to be).
    This isn't stupid feminism. In the 21st century having an OLD dude be totally in charge of everything and all powerful isn't acceptable.

Mjolnir has outgrown/evolved beyond Odin's power.

Lastly Odin id not all powerful. He is very powerful, but not all powerful. He has been defeated and killed before.

Odin as he was once written was a dictatorial patriarch and a horribly abusive father. I am happy to see any version of Thor (even Jane Thor) kick his butt. I would have liked to see the Odinson do it.

Lastly in the myths Odin and Freyja each got half the souls in Valhalla. She had an extremely important role and was no subordinant to Odin. Many scholars think of Freyja and Frigga as the same goddess.

Marvel in the 60s and 70s diminished the roles of goddesses in their comic book adaptations and focused solely on the most patriarchial adaptations. The heroes were all MALE gods and the focus was on the male god's relationship to his father/SKYFATHER. When female gods were used, it was as villain/evil sorceress. I like that Freyja herself was made into a much more proactive character, and I liked when Gaea and Idunn were her advisors.

Odin has history with Jane Foster, so I wonder does Odin know Jane is Thor? If he does, then it's not sexists but godist. Odin doesn't feel Foster is up to be a god and proved it that one time Thor wanted to marry Jane, but she failed.

Quote Originally Posted by zoch View Post
    This was absurd and ridiculous the fact that Jane-Thor not only able contend but stalemate for most part looked like she was winning the fight against bloodlust SkyFather Odin who far above her in power shouldn't even been a fight to fact Jane-Thor no-sold several energy attacks from Odin, to the fact Jane-Thor punches were ragdolling him across the Solar System to the point that he could barely react and in end when the fight got interrupted she came out looking better then he did with Odin being all bloody this is same Odin who stomped both Thanos and Silver Surfer both same time with little no effort who also fought likes of Galactus, Surtur and Set is now getting beaten and bloody by Jane-Thor is just ridiculous.

And on finally pages we got Thor back captured (still armless still dressed like hobo with even more longer bread) I prefer it if was dead least he wouldn't be humiliate anymore by Aaron who probably going to have Jane-Thor coming to he's rescue and probably have Thor pick up the ultimate hammer as if Thor needs have it in order have powers is Aaron forgetting that Thor the God of Thunder born with most of his own powers like i.e super strength durability speed lighting etc.
    Jane beating Odin may be associated with how worthy she is. The more worthy Jane is, the stronger are her powers? Look at Thor. Nick Fury convinced Thor he isn't worthy and now look at the poor slob. The Hammer recognized the worthiness of Jane Foster and she picks it up. She is so worthy, Odin can't even pick it up. Therefore, Jane Foster is the most worthy Asgardian in the realm, and beats Odin? It's possible. It's even possible the Hammer is a conduit of reading power, and picked the most powerful worthy in existence, and sort of altering the power base of Asgard in the process. What we could have seen was the new Almother Jane Thor ascending the throne of what Odin left. Jane has no familial connection to the Odin family, so this accession of Jane is like a revolution in Asgard, or, it could herald that Jane and Odinson were recognized as married long time ago despite Odins objections, and this is the Hammers way of saying "this is Odinsons wife". It reminds me of the stubbornness of Phaoroah not letting Moses people go. Odin refuses to see Jane Foster, a lowly Earthling, as worthy of his son. Well now whose worthy, Odin?
    Last edited by jackolover; 03-10-2016 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    If Thor is able to pick up Ultimate Mjlonir, what does that say about his inability to do so with 616 Mjlonir and his 'title' of "Thor The Unworthy" from Secret Wars?

I imagine that can magic an explanation, or I imagine 1610 Mjlonir not being sentient/picky like 616 Mjlonir.
    Well at this point Thor should be able to wield Mjolnir as he always has since around the end of Time Runs Out, he became worthy again. The fact that he was Thor The Unworthy on Battleworld seems more to point out his status in the books at the time and it seemed to be purposely left ambiguous of whether he could lift the hammer at the end when he looks at the hammer left behind and decides "maybe next time".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Jane beating Odin may be associated with how worthy she is. The more worthy Jane is, the stronger are her powers? Look at Thor. Nick Fury convinced Thor he isn't worthy and now look at the poor slob. The Hammer recognized the worthiness of Jane Foster and she picks it up. She is so worthy, Odin can't even pick it up. Therefore, Jane Foster is the most worthy Asgardian in the realm, and beats Odin? It's possible. It's even possible the Hammer is a conduit of reading power, and picked the most powerful worthy in existence, and sort of altering the power base of Asgard in the process. What we could have seen was the new Almother Jane Thor ascending the throne of what Odin left. Jane has no familial connection to the Odin family, so this accession of Jane is like a revolution in Asgard, or, it could herald that Jane and Odinson were recognized as married long time ago despite Odins objections, and this is the Hammers way of saying "this is Odinsons wife". It reminds me of the stubbornness of Phaoroah not letting Moses people go. Odin refuses to see Jane Foster, a lowly Earthling, as worthy of his son. Well now whose worthy, Odin?
    You're arguing against people whose using feminism as some type of weapon as if it's causing a horrible story, it's a lost cause my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    I don't like how they are completely ignoring Jane's family, her children and her husband (which, by the way, she divorced and abandoned when she learnt that Thor was around again, and he accepted her back when Thor rejected her). They write her as if her family didn't exist at all, and when she speaks about her love for Thor and how she could be with him, but doesn't think about her husband and children even once, you can't but feel sad for them.

By the way, the fact that Jane Foster couldn't fight when she got Asgardian powers, but she behaves like a trained warrior after getting Mjolnir, combined with the fact that she speaks as an Asgardian... doesn't it point to Thor being a separate personality? Sort of like Roger Norvell.
    Agreed, I mean Scott Summers was given flack for abandoning his family in favor of his thought to be deceased girlfriend, but Jane Foster rarely gets a peep from people about the fact that she dropped her family in favor of a chance with an old flame of her's. I wonder if it's gender double standards, but that really makes me think less of her because of the fact that she is willing to just leave her family so she can hook up with an old boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    This isn't stupid feminism. In the 21st century having an OLD dude be totally in charge of everything and all powerful isn't acceptable.

Mjolnir has outgrown/evolved beyond Odin's power.

Lastly Odin id not all powerful. He is very powerful, but not all powerful. He has been defeated and killed before.

Odin as he was once written was a dictatorial patriarch and a horribly abusive father. I am happy to see any version of Thor (even Jane Thor) kick his butt. I would have liked to see the Odinson do it.

Lastly in the myths Odin and Freyja each got half the souls in Valhalla. She had an extremely important role and was no subordinant to Odin. Many scholars think of Freyja and Frigga as the same goddess.

Marvel in the 60s and 70s diminished the roles of goddesses in their comic book adaptations and focused solely on the most patriarchial adaptations. The heroes were all MALE gods and the focus was on the male god's relationship to his father/SKYFATHER. When female gods were used, it was as villain/evil sorceress. I like that Freyja herself was made into a much more proactive character, and I liked when Gaea and Idunn were her advisors.
    See this part I honestly don't buy without some kind of explanation because, as we saw in Fear Itself, Odin still had full command over Mjolnir and that had been Odin's last major appearance before he returned in The Tenth Realm. No major changes had happened in him when he returned and yet suddenly when this story happened, he can't command it anymore. There needs to be some kind of explanation for that because nothing happened between those intervals for Mjolnir to have suddenly evolved besides Fury whispering something to Thor that caused him to lose his worthiness.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    Agreed, I mean Scott Summers was given flack for abandoning his family in favor of his thought to be deceased girlfriend, but Jane Foster rarely gets a peep from people about the fact that she dropped her family in favor of a chance with an old flame of her's. I wonder if it's gender double standards, but that really makes me think less of her because of the fact that she is willing to just leave her family so she can hook up with an old boyfriend.
    Or most people don't know she have/had a family.

I had never heard about that until it was brought up on these boards, and still haven't read those issues (no plans to either).

If Aaron brings that old piece of continuity into this story, fine (but might seem a bit random depending on how it's done), if he does not, that's fine too.

Edit: Looking back over the wikis it seems this happened during the JMS run, strange that I had forgotten, I did read most of it.
    Last edited by yet another; 03-10-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Continuity is damn near everything to Marvel though. Jane was married, I recall back in the late 90s. It was the same time Thor had another civilian identity who was not Don Blake. I forget the guy's name now. I don't recall her having kids at the time, but it probably happened around the time I fell off comics.