BANNED

Default How important are the Earth numbers?

I'm having an argument with a friend of mine about this upcoming Flash/Supergirl TV crossover. He says that Supergirl exists on Earth 3, since Flash has already been to Earth 2, and that he must number the earth by the order he visits them. I've been trying to explain that it would be disappointing to me and a lot of other fans if that was the case, since in the comics Earth 3 is meant to be the complete reverse of Earth Prime.

I've been trying to explain that the name Earth 3 is important in DC Comics and it should always be the Crime Syndicate earth, but he's not getting it, so maybe I'm just wrong.

Are the numbers of earths, namely Earth 2 and Earth 3 important? Should they remain the same in all forms of media?

I don't think that an eventual Earth-3 in Flash and Super Girl would obligatory have to be of the same nature than the one in comics really but well, i think you should just clubbing your friend till he agrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post
    I'm having an argument with a friend of mine about this upcoming Flash/Supergirl TV crossover. He says that Supergirl exists on Earth 3, since Flash has already been to Earth 2, and that he must number the earth by the order he visits them. I've been trying to explain that it would be disappointing to me and a lot of other fans if that was the case, since in the comics Earth 3 is meant to be the complete reverse of Earth Prime.

I've been trying to explain that the name Earth 3 is important in DC Comics and it should always be the Crime Syndicate earth, but he's not getting it, so maybe I'm just wrong.

Are the numbers of earths, namely Earth 2 and Earth 3 important? Should they remain the same in all forms of media?
    I think you're both right.

Naming the Earths to me was more of a meta-fiction convenience.
    Earth-2 was originally called Earth-2 because it was the discovery of a second Earth in JLA, bringing the Golden Age heroes back into comics.

From the JLA's point of view, it was Earth-2.
    And after being referred as such for so long, Earth-2 became synonymous with 'that Earth the JSA is from'.

And how vain of the JLA to use Earth-1 for their Earth. I'm sure all the calamity that has befallen them post-Crisis is the work of Spectre and Dr. Fate cursing them for supposing their Earth is the more important one...

Seriously, though... once you get into reboots and restarts...
    The Earths couldn't be numbered the same as pre-Crisis unless one of two things happened.
    Either, the characters will discover the Earths in the same order they were discovered before, or someone else magically already did it (cough... Multiversity) and left a tome of information detailing the designated names for whoever discovers it.

Which, if you think about it...
    Would technically make Supergirl's Earth be Earth-3 for Flash... currently...
    Until he discovers someone out there that has visited more Earths and they give him a map detailing that her Earth is really Earth-42 or something.

Imagine the arguments if Flash had visited Suergirl's Earth first and then discovered Jay Garrick's Earth...
    Oh, my...
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-09-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I think it makes sense. I'm sure all earths should think of themselves as earth-1. So Flash numbering them in the order he visits them makes sense. It would take me more out of the narrative if Flash was randomly like "this is earth 4 or 37" as there would be no in-universe explanation for it.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post
    Is it important? I can't tell with DC. There have been several Earth-2's and 3's. So many retcons and changes make the numbering quite annoying to me.

Marel's multiverse is more important. Earth-616? Who would know that would take off and people would know what it was? Just a random number they kept using and now it's canon. That's impressive. If DC would quit Revising and Revisiting the same stuff, they could have that too.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Astonishing Member

I still remember reading how when Earth-1 and Earth-2 were first named in story the Golden Age Earth we usually ascribe as E-2 was called E-1 originally before it was later changed.

I understand your friend but it's no real big deal. I'm guessing Supergirl's world might jokingly be called Earth-S if anything as a way of saying it's not the same as other numbered Earth's due to its unique importance as another shows world.

BANNED

I believe it will probably be called "Supergirl's Earth" so I think the point is moot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ropeburn View Post
    Is it important? I can't tell with DC. There have been several Earth-2's and 3's. So many retcons and changes make the numbering quite annoying to me.

Marel's multiverse is more important. Earth-616? Who would know that would take off and people would know what it was? Just a random number they kept using and now it's canon. That's impressive. If DC would quit Revising and Revisiting the same stuff, they could have that too.
    It's funny considering the main Earth now happens to be Earth-0/Earth-Prime while Earth One is an Earth as of yet without a JLA type group unless we consider the Titans.

Out of curiosity looking at the Flash show has there ever been a Earth-2 Barry in the comics like in a single page or maybe more?