Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Are you happy with Earth 2 now?

I certainly am.

Dan Abnett has managed to create the perfect follow-up to James Robinson's run by finally focusing on the entire cast in a pretty on-point way and this week's issue is a perfect example of that. Alan has become the leader of the group once again, Hawkgirl is competent and relevant which is something we haven't seen in a while and even in the little moments they appear, characters like Jay and Khalid share some enjoyable scenes.

Not only that, but there's finally some focus on Golden Age reinventions like The Mist who is receiving a quite interesting portrayal. The large cast is not a problem since all of them receive a moment in the spotlight and there are also several sub-plots going on.

I hope things continue this way after Rebirth, we're getting the Earth 2 book we we're asking for at last.

BANNED

Not much, the developments from last issue left me cold.

Better reboot as the old classic earth 2

Mighty Member

I just find it out that on a planet with only 2.5 million surviving refugees from a world that was destroyed by Apokolips that there are still so many people, and so many of the ordinary citizens are complete douches. Rather than doing whatever was necessary for survival and rebuilding a civilization, people focus on petty things like leadership and power.

BANNED

Well, I am happy with this.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I just find it out that on a planet with only 2.5 million surviving refugees from a world that was destroyed by Apokolips that there are still so many people, and so many of the ordinary citizens are complete douches. Rather than doing whatever was necessary for survival and rebuilding a civilization, people focus on petty things like leadership and power.
    Welcome to humanity.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I've liked Earth 2 since Robinson's first issue and I also liked Tom Taylor's work with the title after Robinson left. The only bits of this that I haven't cared for have been World's End, which was a mess, and the first seven issues of E2: Society that Daniel Wilson was involved with, which wasn't what I was looking for in an E2 book. In my view Abnett's continuation of E2: Society is more in the spirit of the Robinson/Taylor's Earth 2 so I'm very happy with that. I hope the new Earth 2 book they have announced is a continuation of Abnett's work with these particular characters and that those that like the more classic JSA can get that as well. I don't see a reason why both sets of fans can't be made happy.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I'm happier, but the science side of things is bothering me a lot; Like was said, there are only 2.5 million people; even if hydroelectric power is impossible (Which is BS, nearly all of Brazil's electricity come from it, and we have about 200 million people), I have a hard time believing that a place with 2 kryptonians (hey, heat vision), one Flash (hey, he could run in a Hamster Wheel for a while) and one Green Lantern ( hey, unlimited energy, pretty much) has trouble generating energy mid-term until a more permanent solution can be found.

Shouldn't food scarcity be a more immediate concern than energy?

Anyway, no big deal, it just hurts my suspension of disbelief a little bit.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I'm happier, but the science side of things is bothering me a lot; Like was said, there are only 2.5 million people; even if hydroelectric power is impossible (Which is BS, nearly all of Brazil's electricity come from it, and we have about 200 million people), I have a hard time believing that a place with 2 kryptonians (hey, heat vision), one Flash (hey, he could run in a Hamster Wheel for a while) and one Green Lantern ( hey, unlimited energy, pretty much) has trouble generating energy mid-term until a more permanent solution can be found.

Great points..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post

well they have two suns, and they also use wind power too. Flash can generate of megawatts easily.

My problem is: too ma=uch fake batman with dick grayson. like stop it now.

plot holes

the treatment of amazons, wonder woman and Fury.

this book still far away from being good or enjoyable and it was going the right way, but still a mess.
    just remove cotton and berganza pls

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

The book is at it's best since Taylor left but it's still not where I want it to be. First and foremost, the book needs a new artist. Jimenez's new costumes are mostly eye-sores and why he has the Huntress running around without a mask most of the time is beyond me. The direction of the book is a bit better but we STILL don't have an official Justice Society in place in the book. I am happy to see Hourman and the Mist finally getting some page-time but I don't like where things are going with Fury and Aquawoman.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    The book is at it's best since Taylor left but it's still not where I want it to be. First and foremost, the book needs a new artist. Jimenez's new costumes are mostly eye-sores and why he has the Huntress running around without a mask most of the time is beyond me. The direction of the book is a bit better but we STILL don't have an official Justice Society in place in the book. I am happy to see Hourman and the Mist finally getting some page-time but I don't like where things are going with Fury and Aquawoman.
    Huntress's identity is known so her having a mask isn't really necessary, is it? Over all I like what this series is doing now and hope these characters aren't rebooted. A seriously doubt they will be, though, as rebirth isn't a reboot.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It is worlds better now than under Wilson, but I still think too much damage has been done to ever get it back to as good as it was before.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Welcome to humanity.
    If you say so. I'm not just looking at it from an extension of this is human nature. It's just the lack of logic and leaps needed to get to this. Recall back in Earth 2 that Bizarro-Superman literally killed 99.9% of the World Army in two days. Despite that there never seems to be a shortage of military manpower or weaponry. Yeah, ok. Right. Or that a second alien invasion that over time and catastrophe killed a similar percentage of the human population, which evacuated from across the planet into space under fire, and we know a good number of that 2.5 million died either on the ground or on liftoff from the exodus, more died in forced crash landings on NuEarth, and apparently even more were slaughtered by Fury (means and reason unknown). Say we're down to 2 million people. Across an entire planet. Enough to rebuild...over time if they survive. I think this could be a great story about world building and instead they're focusing on character development of the wonders. What happened to Barda and Scott Free so that they are on Earth 1? The Tamaranian Fury War and the child she and Barda took? Didn't Ted Grant pretty much sacrifice himself so Grayson could live?

Despite all this, you get people acting like the Kingpin of crime...because lording it over people lucky to be alive on an alien world struggling to survive is so important. No, I'm just not getting it.

Mighty Member

Abnett's run is much, much more to my tastes than Earth 2 has been for the past couple years but I hated Taylor's run, World's End and Wilson's Society so much I just don't ever see myself having anywhere near the same interest and investment I had while Robinson was on Earth 2. Abnett is putting out pretty good stuff but it feels like the franchise is a poisoned well at this point.

I like Dan Abnett as a writer and I feel he's doing better work on this title despite the mess he inherited. But:

1. This Earth-2 is still too far removed from "Golden Age Justice Society Earth" and reads like an independent sci-fi comic.
    2. I still don't like "Dick Grayson" as "Batman" or the fact that he is usurping a story that actually belongs to the Huntress.
    3. I really, really hate how Fury got rebooted into a more villainous character, which is a huge far cry from the character that was Lyta Trevor.
    4. Mike Cotton and Eddie Berganza are still editors on this book, and their direction remains terrible as always.

Abnett's writing is still miles better to what it was with Daniel H. Wilson, but still pretty underwhelming in my opinion. This Earth-2 is still not where I want it to be. At this point, I'm just hoping Earth-2: Rebirth brings back the pre-Crisis Earth-2 (preferably under a different editorial office) since I feel that has a stronger chance of succeeding than the ship wreck that is the current Earth-2.

It's definitely better than Wilson's but that's not saying much. There are little problems with the story that didn't really bother me at first but are starting to pile up. Gotham just so happens to again be a crime and poverty ridden city. The gotham antagonist is able to somehow and quickly convert waste into power cells but everybody else is stumped. How is no power going to lead to "life on this planet will no longer be viable"? They have water, wild life, and plant life. It won't be comfortable but still life sustaining. And then there's Val who keeps making it sound like the wonders are the problem when they are the ONLY people making any sort of effort to solving these problems and keeping the people from killing each other.

I like the book but I'm enjoying it less every issue.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider