Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default EL DIABLO Appreciation

The Legacy Lives!...in his own thread.

A bit of love hate thing, since I love the character, concept and all his potential, yet the character has pretty much been through comic development hell! ; )

Hopefully there are good things to come!

Let's discuss all the incarnations.

1970 The original:
    Lazarus Lane (might have been anglicised Lázaro Llano): Somewhat a Zorro knockoff became DCs first supernatural cursed by a demon Spirit of Vengeance, battles with possession channeling it for good character, pretty much DCs Ghost Rider before there was a supernatural Ghost Rider.

.........Lashed by the searing fires of hell!

Animated:
    Appeared in Justice League Unlimited voiced by Nestor Carbonell. ...Dig the devilish goatee.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-16-2018 at 08:02 AM.

1989 Rafael Sandoval:

DC's first Latino with his own comic, you'd think that was something, it's not.
    Blink for a sec during the history of the DCU and you'll completely miss him. Not a single contemporary writer seems to have ever referenced or homaged him in any way.
    Sad.

They dropped the supernatural angle, and made him more street level Texano social justice warrior.
    The kind of self-made vigilante who could potentially hang with Green Arrow, Batman types, and what a great way to promote him that would have been. Did it ever happen, no.
    That's why most have never heard of him.

He may have at some point been updated to connect him to the supernatural legacy.
    To little to late.

2001 Vertigo:
    There was a 4 issue Vertigo book by Brian Azzerello called El Diablo, no direct connection (although one could be made)
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-09-2016 at 09:27 PM.

Chato Santana

2008 Mini series:

The Modern Diablo; Star of the short lived comic, inherits the supernatural legacy from Lazarus.
    Reinvented as an ex-gangbanger searching for redemption, visually as a somewhat badass Tex-Mex-ploitation, luchador/poncho style costumed, six-shooter wielding supernatural anti-hero.

Loved it, Thought he looked cool, if you didn't, don't worry it didn't last long.

-

2011 Suicide Squad:
    Next, they dropped any premise of "costume" entirely, and revisited him as more Salvatrucha looking stereotype gang member, for Suicide Squad.
    Cause in the 80s the JLA first and DC's most prominent Latino [Vibe] being an embarrassing cliché gang member, walking talking stereotype, worked so well! They decided to revisit it 25 years later with Chato ...progress!
    Latinos to them = must be in or be connected to a gang.
    With all the great Latino creators who've worked on their books, this is how they portray them.

I loved seeing him join the Suicide Squad book, and I get the story arc of the guy who has done everything wrong with his life, trying to do right, seeking redemption, symbolically struggling with his demons, brilliant!
    I'd follow this character anywhere.

Not surprisingly he's not developed as a character/human at all, all we are left with is the horrible Salvatrucha visual stereotype, and he's soon killed off by writers who have no idea how to approach him.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/...20120315232936
    Although with the upcoming movie, looks like they rescinded his death and brought him back.
    So he's getting another chance, by writers who maybe actually want to write him.

-

2016 S.S. the Movie:
    Chato Santana played by Jay Hernandez

Who (despite being the most horrible media loves go to cliche for latinos imaginable) looks cool, although you can tell for the most part they dropped the supernatural/spirit of vengeance, (and any tex/mex themed supernatural weapons and constructs unique to the character), and just gave him generic fire powers.
    And not even the cool full body flame on, Johnny Storm style, the supernatural Ghost Rider style, or even Sunspot style dark energy.
    Nope, he's a freakin blow-torch.
    The lamest looking fire powers imaginable.
    He is likely there just to punk out and be one of the first to die.

Woohoo. DC's first Latino with his own comic, about to become again DC most prominent Latino character, only there to die!.
    Can he ride out the worst cliché about Latinos (baring Trump's words) ever foisted on one character, and ever become a viable character at DC?

Looks like they have brought him back for the New New New Suicide Squad.
    And who knows what Rebirth may bring.

Now fans bring the Love for El Diablo!....Discuss!
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-16-2018 at 08:08 AM.

More badass Diablo from Suicide Squad.
    Loved to be proven wrong - hope there is more to the character than he's just there to die so the "real heroes" that DC wants to promote can live on.
    But it's the Title of the film, reality is, the only reason he's there is he's expendable.

Although even if he's in the movie to die, because of it, in the comics he is back!
    So there is hope.

Please DC do right by this character!
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-10-2016 at 05:28 AM.

A character that DC more or less ignores shows up in a sure to be blockbuster movie and suddenly gets written well and pulled out of limbo
    I'm glad Chato is back
    I like his look and how it contrasts with his actual personality

His day of the dead logo

Badass Empire cover.

His Harley designed tattoo theme ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    A character that DC more or less ignores shows up in a sure to be blockbuster movie and suddenly gets written well and pulled out of limbo
    LOL yeah, their timing was awful, they unceremoniously killed him in the Suicide Squad book.
    Then with all the attention in the movie, suddenly in the next incarnation he's back!
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-09-2016 at 03:30 PM.

You guys are forgetting about Slipknot. If anyone's in there to die just for shock value, it's him. Diablo might just be safe.

BANNED

I didn't know El Diablo was a character that went back so far. I just know about the New 52 version in Suicide Squad, so thanks for the history lesson. And i don't think he'll die, because Jay Hernandez is an actor that Ayer loves working with.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfinishedsentenc View Post
    You guys are forgetting about Slipknot.
    Not really, it's just so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    And i don't think he'll die, because Jay Hernandez is an actor that Ayer loves working with.
    I'm under no delusion that Santana will survive, he's there to die, it's the name of the movie and premise, it's the only reason he's there, I'm fine with that.

Except for Deadshot (maybe Katana) and Harley who will likely live, go on to finish the mission, curse their handlers, and mourn the others. Everyone else, is meant to be expendable (although I think Crock and Boomerang's death will be open ended; didn't-see-the-body type deal. with a potential to save their own asses they escaped.) Which give Harley and Deadshot a reason to smile and go on.

Satana however, everything about him, his (non)powers (the supernatural element were downgraded and actual possession back-story and character development more understandably went to Enchantress, he gets none of that), his personality, his theme, however all scream self-sacrifice.
    He's likely the one guy legitimately looking for redemption, to get that he has to die doing what's right. It's actually a great theme and character.
    For it to resonate though, he has to die.
    So again it's fine.

Believe me if this movie was about DC characters who live and go on to prominence, there wouldn't be a Latino role in there.
    The Irony isn't lost on me, the only reason he's there is he's expendable.
    I just hope he doesn't go out like a punk, and gets a decent somewhat heroic death, so the others can finish the mission.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-10-2016 at 05:31 AM.

I really enjoyed the El Diablo mini drawn by Phil Hester. I loved the fight with the Freedom Fighters. Seeing Uncle Sam fight a demon possessed ex-gangbanger was interesting. The spirit of America fighting a demonic Mexican American. Lots of subtext especially since El Diablo was the protagonist.
    There are so few prominant Hispanic characters in the DCU and comics in general so I was pissed when they killed Chato in the Suicide Squad. Thankfully he's back. I agree that he'll be one of the first to die in the movie but at least his appearance there helped to resurrect him in the comics. Maybe it'll lead to a regular spot on the Suicide Squad which is sure to be a big seller once the movie hype machine starts up. Plus Jim Lee will be drawing the initial issues.
    Last edited by Robotman; 03-09-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Rafael Sandoval:

DC's first Latino with his own comic, you'd think that was something, it's not.
    Blink for a sec during the history of the DCU and you'll completely miss him. Not a single contemporary writer seems to have ever referenced or homaged him in any way.
    Sad.

They dropped the supernatural angle, and made him more street level Texano social justice warrior.
    The kind of self-made vigilante who could potentially hang with Green Arrow, Batman types, and what a great way to promote him that would have been. Did it ever happen, no.
    That's why most have never heard of him.

He may have at some point been updated to connect him to the supernatural legacy.
    To little to late.

There was a four issue Vertigo book by Brian Azzerello called El Diablo, no direct connection (although one could be made)

he almost got recruited by justice league international.

I re-read the Rafael Sandoval series a couple months back. I planned on selling it or giving it away once I was done but enjoyed it so much that I filed it away again in hope of one day "re-revisiting" it. IMO it was a solid series with some interesting characters.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    he almost got recruited by justice league international.
    Key word "almost" it was kind of played for laughs as a one-issue, one-note gag, to show why he (and others) wouldn't join, Beetle (Kord) being uncomfortable they might have to learn spanish? LOL!
    It was funny, but If trying to cross-promote the character, not sure how much that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    I re-read the Rafael Sandoval series a couple months back. I planned on selling it or giving it away once I was done but enjoyed it so much that I filed it away again in hope of one day "re-revisiting" it. IMO it was a solid series with some interesting characters.
    I think Sandoval could have benefited from some legit cross-world promotion.
    The series and character to it's credit somewhat operated in a self-contained universe, the more real world "villains" tended to be the community itself, often warring with each other. And Rafael Sandoval City-councilman/Masked-Vigilante, trying to band them together against the real villains (drug lords and political manipulators, et...). This really gave the book and character it's own great niche setting and identity, separate from the larger and fantastic DCU.

On the other hand, that may have ultimately worked against it, making it to much of a niche-specific character and setting.
    Staples like Batman, Superman, Justice League not only didn't appear but didn't factor in, or get mentioned in the world in which he operated.

They had just one other crossover with the most obscure Greg Saunders, instead of playing him off other similar street level vigilante style characters like Green Arrow, Huntress, the Question, or the most obvious Batman.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-15-2016 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    There are so few prominant Hispanic characters in the DCU and comics in general so I was pissed when they killed Chato in the Suicide Squad. Thankfully he's back. I agree that he'll be one of the first to die in the movie but at least his appearance there helped to resurrect him in the comics. Maybe it'll lead to a regular spot on the Suicide Squad which is sure to be a big seller once the movie hype machine starts up. Plus Jim Lee will be drawing the initial issues.
    Right now Chato Santana is best primed for some long term recognition, while imbedded in the Suicide Squad franchise.
    If they can manage to make him more than a one-note stereotype, develop his character, and actually keep him alive, El Diablo might become viable character in the DCU.

And although I'm ecstatic to see him in the movie, as pointed out he's got sacrificial character written all over him.

The generic fire powers, we've seen in a half dozen superhero movies already are the most telling, that they didn't even try to make him unique.
    Maybe have his tats glow with energy, internal fire, something personal or supernatural, make hell-fire constructs, pistolas, blades of living flame, whips, something to homage the original El Diablo, something to make him stand out.

I doubt they will be dealing with the possession/supernatural back story elements at all with him, that understandably went to Enchantress. So what does he get, just the most generic flame thrower power. Sadly (although again it goes with the title) and there just isn't room in a movie, you can tell they aren't really trying to develop him much.

Burns people.....
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-11-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Incredible Member

I've only really known the Sandoval version and the recent SSquad version, didn't know El Diablo extended further back. Really liked Rafael and was disappointed when El Diablo was cancelled. Good candidate for Bruce Wayne to sponsor for Batman Inc. and change the name a little to El Murciélago Diablo (The Devil Bat) but gets shortened to El Diablo.

Didn't Sandoval join the JLA for a while after being possessed/changed to some brute monster or was that a different El Diablo?