Default Weirdworld 4 (appreciation and spoilers)

This month, in Weirdworld!

• Becca doesn't have the best mother-daughter relationship
    • Goleta has a thing for crystal women
    • Cat Beast is tired of everything
    • Visiting the Enchanted Village was a bad idea
    • Morgan le Fey is up to some bad business
    • and holy crap! spoilers:
      It's Skul the Slayer!
      end of spoilers

Mike del Mundo is still a beast and Sam Humphries brings some well needed pathos as we delve further into why Becca is in Weirdworld in the first place.

Put Weirdworld on your pull list yesterday!
    My pull list
    A-Force, All-New Inhuman, All-New All-Different Avengers, Captain America: Sam Wilson, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, New Avengers, The Ultimates, and Weirdworld.

This issue gave me all the feels and it was nothing short of Fantastic.

Seriously, you should give it a go. You won't be disappointed!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    This issue gave me all the feels and it was nothing short of Fantastic.

Seriously, you should give it a go. You won't be disappointed!
    Thanks to the buzz, I've started checking it out on Marvel Unimited. Really good book -- very unique.

The art kind of reminds me of Bill Siekiewicz -- but much more colorful.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-09-2016 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Thanks to the buzz, I've started checking it out on Marvel Unimited. Really good book -- very unique.

The art kind of reminds me of Bill Siekiewicz -- but much more colorful.
    I firmly believe that del Mundo is the new Sienkiewicz. You should check his Elektra with Haden Blackman. It's gorgeous madness.
    My pull list
    A-Force, All-New Inhuman, All-New All-Different Avengers, Captain America: Sam Wilson, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, New Avengers, The Ultimates, and Weirdworld.

Skull the Slayer appears here, too, huh? All the more reason to believe that there's no real communication between the writers who are using Weirdworld. He showed up in the latest issue of Squadron Supreme as well, but that issue gives no indication that Morgan is a threat at all.

Note: I wrote this post over in the WW Appreciation thread. I hope it's cool that I copied/pasted it into this thread too! Here it is:

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOST ALL THE TEXT TO THE POST I HAD WRITTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. Zipping through it more quickly this time around.

First: Zion! Glad to have you here! I agree with so much of what you said! I hadn't thought of it before, but there certainly is some "Adventure Time" in this comic. (I'm a big fan of that show and cartoons in general.)

Second: The balance of humor, action, and heartbreak was done so well this issue. I thought Shumphries really balanced the various tones and action expertly. Probably his best issue of WW yet, in my mind.

Third: I LOVED seeing who Goleta lost - ZIRKANA, a Crystal Warrior! (How funny is the choice of her name considering what's up with her this issue?!) I wonder if the piece Goleta still has of her is her heart, and I wonder if we'll get a quest in which our sad/rad warriors seek to put her back together again, a la Crystar in the first volume.

Fourth: Obviously the trope of the "Super Great Place That Is Actually Terrifying" is pretty common - it's as old as Hansel and Gretel, at least - but, reading this issue, I was reminded specifically of Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles.

Fifth: I loved seeing Goleta eating the monster's tentacles. So funny. Oh! And her stuffing her face earlier in the issue! MOUF MOURFGHF etc etc. So funny.

Sixth: I wonder if/when we'll meet other Wilder Men, and if they will be other obscure Marvel wizards.

Seventh: This issue had an interesting take on the phrase "Where the Lost Can Be Found". So far it's been used in a positive manner by those speaking the motto, but obviously this issue took the meaning in a different way.

OKAY, THEORY TIME: We know that Morgan le Fay wants to get her hands on Becca and the Wuxian Seed. We know that the Grand Mechanic doesn't believe Becca belongs in Weirdworld. We know that Becca might bring about Earthfall, though we don't really know what Earthfall is. I wonder if we got a clue in one of the panels showing Becca home, alone, dealing with her depression and grief - she covers herself with a Marvel-themed blanket. Now, I know superhero-themed goods and comics exist within the Marvel Universe, but I can't help but wonder if Becca is actually from OUR EARTH, not the Marvel Earth! And maybe that explains why Morgan le Fay wants her so badly - so she can take her sick/dying significant other to our Earth and get medical treatment, perhaps for cancer. What do you think of that theory?

Finally - man, I just love the art. I just love it.

Next issue: SKULL THE REDEEMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Pav, who feels like the book is swiftly reaching its first major climax and hopes the sales warrant another storyline after this first one wraps up...
    Last edited by Pav; 03-10-2016 at 09:15 AM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

As I wrote in the main thread, Sam Humphries is a bad man. He made me cry.

This issue really was heart-breaking. Poor Becca! And poor Goleta! But mostly poor Becca, because damn, that was rough.

It makes me sad that this title isn't selling as well as it should. del Mundo's art is GORGEOUS enough to be a selling point by itself. I think part of the reason is people won't even give it a chance due to the premise and lack of familiar characters. If Marvel added a free issue of it to another title like they did with Vision and Spider-Man/Deadpool, the exposure would bring in more readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    Skull the Slayer appears here, too, huh? All the more reason to believe that there's no real communication between the writers who are using Weirdworld. He showed up in the latest issue of Squadron Supreme as well, but that issue gives no indication that Morgan is a threat at all.
    Possible explanation: The books are taking place at different times. This comic has nothing to indicate exactly when it's taking place. But the opening of the first issue did seem to connect it to the very end of the Secret Wars Weirdworld mini. So it's probably safe to just assume this series takes place immediately after Secret Wars, before the timeskip. Squadron Supreme and Black Knight both definitely take place after the timeskip.

Shumphries tweeted it at me: Becca is from Marvel Earth.

*shrugs*

-Pav, who should tweet at him to use the Kith until he can't take it anymore...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

This panel killed me.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    This panel killed me.
    I feel like about 90% of this issue could fit here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I feel like about 90% of this issue could fit here.
    Yeah. That's pretty accurate XD