Default X-Men Unlimited - Thoughts?

Have many people here read a lot of X-Men Unlimited, the quarterly series of extra-sized from 1993 to 2003?

I've been picking them up at local shops, trade shows, and cons lately. I loved the Sabretooth one that came out around the time of the wedding of Cyclops and Phoenix. There was a great Shi'ar story around that time too, and also the story that revealed Mystique was Nightcrawler's mother. I'm about to read issues 8-12 as I read Road to Onslaught and Onslaught.

I like the concept of these stories that are usually continuity light (except for the Nightcrawler-Mystique reveal), self-contained, and independent of other things happening at the same time.

Are there any particular stories from X-Men Unlimited that are awesome and I should specifically seek out? Are there any real duds that must be avoided at all costs?

I tend to like 90s X-Men (been slowly building up a collection on Comixology, with X-Men Unlimited and a handful of specific stories bought as floppies and TPBs too), so the argument that "it's 90s, so avoid it" will not be that useful

Thank you!

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I truly love this:

I think I haven't read many XMU apart from it, but I would like to.

I love the one with Sage invading a building, fighting a big guy while playing chess online with her cyber glasses!

BANNED

The Claremont New Mutants one is pure filler.

Unglaublich!

XMU 16 (I think), with Banshee and the Prime Sentinel.... I absolutely love that issue!!

I think you get a very mixed bag as the series goes, on, but I think the first four are superb, and the entire first 12 to 14 are all very good. When they went to breaking up an issue into several different stories I think it suffered as a whole.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Some great stories in that series.

That issue has one of my favourite splash pages ever - Mystique with her foot and a gun to some generals head.

When X-Unlimited started out it was probably better than the main books.

I loved the second issue about the German guy who wants to kill Magneto, and seeing the art of a very different Chris Bachalo in the very first issue is so weird.
    Game Over man! Game Over!

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Anybody else miss these?

BANNED

I do but I still enjoy re reading issue 1 and some issues I have such as the one with the kid mutant who finds out he has the Legacy virus.

Then an X men Unlimited issue involving Storm in Africa or Egypt dealing with some gal from the Assassins guild or whatever and Gambit I think is involved.

Been a really long time since I've read them.

The Mystique, Rogue and Nigtcrawler issue is everyone's favorite plus most of it was used for an episode of the X Men animated show

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    I like the concept of these stories that are usually continuity light (except for the Nightcrawler-Mystique reveal), self-contained, and independent of other things happening at the same time.
    That's why I like these kind of titles, as for Marvel Fanfare or the complementary stories in Classic X-Men: they bring the opportunity of telling, exploring and developing things about the characters which have no place in main titles. Often, things that really matter. Plus, starring guest artists who sometimes are quite far from X-multiverse. Luxury.

When the Dark Beast fights, defeats, and then impersonates Beast, which then spills over into the main X-books for several issues was fun for me (but I haven't read those books since I was like 12, so it's quite possible they are actually total crap).

BANNED

Loved this issue as it depicts Jean Grey in space unaided and sans the Phoenix Force

I only read a handful of issues, but this thread made me try the whole run.
    I have to say, now that so many fan favorites are in limbo, we could really use an anthology like Unlimited. Let it be a series of done-in-ones but have one overarching plot that keeps readers coming back since anthologies are not so popular nowadays.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    The Mystique, Rogue and Nigtcrawler issue is everyone's favorite plus most of it was used for an episode of the X Men animated show

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    That's why I like these kind of titles, as for Marvel Fanfare or the complementary stories in Classic X-Men: they bring the opportunity of telling, exploring and developing things about the characters which have no place in main titles.
    All great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    When the Dark Beast fights, defeats, and then impersonates Beast, which then spills over into the main X-books for several issues was fun for me (but I haven't read those books since I was like 12, so it's quite possible they are actually total crap).
    Continuity is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I have to say, now that so many fan favorites are in limbo, we could really use an anthology like Unlimited.
    Get it done Brevort