Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is there anything the comics companies can do to attract more female readers?

I don't think so. I think they've maxed out there But does anyone have a different idea?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I think if they read your GL stories, they'd be hooked.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Stop pandering to the male power fantasy? And stop thinking the male power fantasy also appeals to women?

Try to write better stories? The better the quality, the more readers you're going to have, male and female.

A theme month where Dick Grayson's butt is shown on every cover? (I have a friend who heartily approves of how well some artists draw that particular character's gluts)

More seriously....
    I think there's a real danger in saying 'Women like THIS sort of thing' and lumping them all together. Most women I know want in their comic books what most guys want. Characters they like written well with quality artwork as part of the storytelling.

If you're talking marketing? I'm not sure. Getting new readers period regardless of Gender can be a pain in this day and age. Maybe DVDs of Young Justice (A show that was cancelled partially because it appealed to *Gasp* girls) should come with gift certificates for comic downloads. Let the folks hooked by the cartoon themselves browse around and find what they like. Sure, a gift certificate might be a loss lead sort of thing, but if only 10% become dedicated readers it would help.

Maybe older readers, if they're having to empty out their collections ,should offer them to nieces as well as nephews. Chances are either might say 'No thanks' but if they grow to love a particular character writer or artist, well, congratulations for helping it pass to the next generation.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    A theme month where Dick Grayson's butt is shown on every cover? (I have a friend who heartily approves of how well some artists draw that particular character's gluts)

More seriously....
    I think there's a real danger in saying 'Women like THIS sort of thing' and lumping them all together. Most women I know want in their comic books what most guys want. Characters they like written well with quality artwork as part of the storytelling.

If you're talking marketing? I'm not sure. Getting new readers period regardless of Gender can be a pain in this day and age. Maybe DVDs of Young Justice (A show that was cancelled partially because it appealed to *Gasp* girls) should come with gift certificates for comic downloads. Let the folks hooked by the cartoon themselves browse around and find what they like. Sure, a gift certificate might be a loss lead sort of thing, but if only 10% become dedicated readers it would help.

Maybe older readers, if they're having to empty out their collections ,should offer them to nieces as well as nephews. Chances are either might say 'No thanks' but if they grow to love a particular character writer or artist, well, congratulations for helping it pass to the next generation.
    I take it that means no.

BANNED

i think it's like pro football. The NFL keeps trying hard to attract women, but the product by its nature tends to appeal much more to men.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I take it that means no.
    I'm quite serious about the gift certificate for comic book downloads along with DVDs, and that is something that I think could be done if DC and other companies work together. Heck, Arrow and Flash TV shows have fans of both genders, maybe something allowing them to download copies of the show related series could be a foot in the door.

But I'm not in marketing so there maybe more things blocking that path than I know of.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

BANNED

First step is probably to accept that not all women are the same. But the question is, what will attract the MOST women? Yes, there are women who like comics the way they are now, but there are things that they could change that might attract MORE women without necessarily losing the ones they have.

I simply cannot believe that toning down the sexual costumes on women would result in a net loss of readers. Yes, they might lose some (male and female) but I think in the long run they would gain far more.

The next step for increasing readers of either gender is getting the message out about comics. That could include:

1. Better cross-promotion of graphic novels in bookstores. Make sure that "Swamp Thing" trades are available in the Horror area, for example.
    2. More Web advertising of Comixology. Make sure that people who are on Web pages about literary subjects (or any pages that are likely to be looked at by people who enjoy reading for pleasure) have ads on them saying "Like THE FLASH on TV? Here's where you can get the comics the show is based on!"

BANNED

Nobody thinks that "all women are the same," but many products do specifically target women, and are very successful at it. I just think that most women are not interested in comic books.

You can fish wherever you want to, but if you fish where there are very few fish, you won't catch many.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-10-2016 at 08:10 AM.

BANNED

Get somebody like Karen Berger to replace their current editor in chief...

Birds of Prey?

The best female-led comic book ever made....and it ran for 15 years.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I think a lot of women readers probably want what everyone who reads comics wants, which is just for writers to tell good, solid stories featuring characters, both male and female, that they like. As someone already said that will attract readers both male and female. Also it might help of not all of the woman in the big two comics were ones that have perfect bodies like models and if they weren't over-sexualized or given skimpy costumes to wear. One of my favorite characters right now is Faith Herbert/Zephyr from the Valiant series Faith and one of the reasons I like her is that she's not the stereotypical female hero with a knockout body and skimpy costume. She's a plus sized heroine and I applaud Valiant for that.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 03-10-2016 at 08:37 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

DC and Marvel mainstream super hero comics aren't going to get more female readers without shedding some of the existing readership...because a different type of story would (to some extent) be needed.

It's like films...there are "chic flics" and war movies. Few women are stupid enough to want to watch war movies.

But a ton of existing comics are read by a shed load of women. There really isn't a problem, unless you're on a sacred mission to increase sale of DC super hero comics...then life is full of problems.

BANNED

At the moment, no. Both Marvel & DC are heavily targeting female readers with their Women of Power and DC superhero Girls products. Most female led books (there are plenty of them now) feature modestly clothed protagonists and are designed to appeal to women overall. There is a lot of pressure on writers and artists to avoid pandering to the nonexistent "male gaze" resulting in far less stories that could be considered "male power fantasies" as well as sexualized female characters. While I don't agree with this pressure, nor do I oppose comics meant to appeal to men (the horror!) or featuring women in skimpy costumes (again, the horror!) I can safely say it's never been a better time to be a female comic fan.

And, of course, that is a good thing.