Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    That isn't what the studio or the media would have you think. It is an indicator of interest, whether or not that interest leads to attendance has yet to be accurately measured or accounted for.
    Which is pretty much exactly what I said here:

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Watching a youtube video doesn't indicate intent to see the movie. I've watched lots of trailers for movies I never went to see. If anything, the number of hits issimply indicative of the size of the already existing/committed fan base that Marvel Studios has, which is sizable. Lots of people were going to watch that trailer and are going see the movie, Spider-Man or no Spider-Man.
    Watching a youtube trailer is an indicator of interest in watching a youtube trailer. That's pretty much it. Will some of those people who saw the trailer see the movie? Sure. Will some of them not see the movie? Yep. And there is, literally, no formula that well tell us how many people fall into either category.
    Last edited by kalorama; 03-12-2016 at 05:16 PM.

BANNED

Even in a quinjet, a flight to and from Germany (and however much time he spends on the ground) would be a really long library session.
    Hence the "at a friend's" part of my statement. While en-route to Germany, he could place a call to Aunt May explaining that he is studying at a friends house and begging to stay overnight so they can finish studying.

I did a little quick research though, and the Quinjet is supposedly capable of reaching a top speed of 1600 mph, and the distance between New York and Berlin is 3,968 miles, so a quinjet could make the flight in 2 1/2 hours. That is assuming that they aren't capable of going sub-orbital to cut wind resistance and go even faster. (I used to work in the graphics department of McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing).)

BANNED

Which is pretty much exactly what I said here:

Watching a youtube trailer is an indicator of interest in watching a youtube trailer. That's pretty much it. Will some of those people who saw the trailer see the movie? Sure. Will some of them not see the movie? Yep. And there is, literally, no formula that well tell us how many people fall into either category.
    My reasoning is subtly varied from yours. You interpret interest in the as an indicator of interest in JUST watching the trailer. I am saying that watching the trailer is an indicator of interest in the final movie. Where we completely agree is that there is no solid evidence to indicate that viewing the trailer will definitely lead to seeing the movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Maybe Aunt May already knows about him being Spidey?
    A part of the story of Spider-Man has always been that he feels he has to keep his identity secret from Aunt May because he thinks she is too frail to handle the shock of the reveal and the stress of worrying about him when he goes out as Spider-Man. But maybe in the movie version she will be younger and stronger and he will tell her so she doesn't worry about him, because he can take care of himself now that he has these powers. Or maybe she tells him "Peter, I know you are Spider-Man. I'm not a fool."

Those are all questions that probably won't be addressed until we see him in his next solo film.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Those same heroes, and characters, being reckless with the Cube is what allowed for the events of the Avengers to occur.
    Umm no, Loki showing up out of nowhere at the SHIELD base is what led to the cube being stolen. So if anything, blame Fury and the WSC. Steve was hitting a punching bag, Natasha was on an unrelated mission in Russia, Banner was helping poor people in India, and Tony was working with Pepper on his new tower in Manhattan.

They had NOTHING to do with it.

And yet here you are basically trying to use the same "pointless" argument regarding Spider-Man's impact on Civil War.

Civil War was going to be a huge movie because it is what it is: a Marvel movie and a hugely-anticipated sequel to one of their biggest and best reviewed releases. Civil War was going to be huge with or without Spider-Man. Might it be bigger than Avengers? Maybe. But there's zero straight line evidence to attribute that solely to Spider-Man's presence, when the movie also features much more well-publicized appearances by the stars from almost all of their other established, successful movie franchises.

And, much like youtube hits, merchandise sales don't automatically equate to movie ticket sales.
    You dont watch a trailer for something you have no interest in watching. This trailer slaps spideys name on it and in a couple days it has more then 75% the views the first trailer has over a period of months. Also has way more likes. At the very least it shows Spiderman does makes a difference, a big one. Yea for us that love comics black panther and Hawkeyes shooting antman on an arrow stole the show, but for everybody else they are only talking about spiderman for the most part. Which is what this whole arguement was about, not youtube or anything else. But if Spiderman would raise ticket sales. He has definetly raised interest in the movie.

Movie woulda done well without having him in a trailer but adding can only help. Yes it woulda been cool to have the reveal happen in theater but from a business stand point I get why they did it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    A part of the story of Spider-Man has always been that he feels he has to keep his identity secret from Aunt May because he thinks she is too frail to handle the shock of the reveal and the stress of worrying about him when he goes out as Spider-Man. But maybe in the movie version she will be younger and stronger and he will tell her so she doesn't worry about him, because he can take care of himself now that he has these powers. Or maybe she tells him "Peter, I know you are Spider-Man. I'm not a fool."

Those are all questions that probably won't be addressed until we see him in his next solo film.
    Isnt marrissa tomai aunt may? She not as old as aunt may usualy is so unless they make her sick frailty shouldnt be an issue

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I'm VERY much in favor of Aunt May already knowing that he's Spider-Man. Either because he tells her himself, or she just figures it out on her own.

They'll just do what Tom Hanks did in Big and have Peter fake his own kidnapping. Problem solved.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    You dont watch a trailer for something you have no interest in watching. This trailer slaps spideys name on it and in a couple days it has more then 75% the views the first trailer has over a period of months. Also has way more likes. At the very least it shows Spiderman does makes a difference, a big one. Yea for us that love comics black panther and Hawkeyes shooting antman on an arrow stole the show, but for everybody else they are only talking about spiderman for the most part. Which is what this whole arguement was about, not youtube or anything else. But if Spiderman would raise ticket sales. He has definetly raised interest in the movie.

Movie woulda done well without having him in a trailer but adding can only help. Yes it woulda been cool to have the reveal happen in theater but from a business stand point I get why they did it this way.
    (A) I watch trailers for movies I have no initial interest in watching all the time. I do it, in part, because there's always the chance my initial impression is wrong and I want to see if there's anything there that might actually make me want to watch the movie. Also, because they can be a good way to kill a couple minutes of boredom. (B) At this point, Spider-Man's presence in the trailer has, at most, only raised interest in the trailer. Whether it raised interest in the movie itself (and by how much) remains unknown, because we don't know how many of the people who watched the trailer were impressed enough by it to decide to see the movie (when they were previously not considering it). It's seems likely that at least some of the people who watched the trailer thought"eh, big deal" and walked away having no interest in seeing the movie. The argument that Spider-Man's presence has raised ticket sales remains an invalid one, simply because the only "evidence" being offered in support of it is youtube trailer hits, which has nothing whatsoever to do with ticket sales.

Is it possible, even likely that Spider-Man could help ticket sales? Sure. But to definitively declare that he already has helped ticket sales based solely on trailer views is wildly speculative and premature.
    Last edited by kalorama; 03-13-2016 at 01:46 PM.

I think he looks awesome. I know he's supposed to be a teen but the voice kind of throws me off.

It reminded me of this:

Astonishing Member

I couldn't post before my opinion, so I will post now.

I believe Spider-Man looks awesome!!!! It really respects the traditional costume. His costume doesn't seem like regular cloth anymore, like in previous movies. Now it seems to be made of a more hard material, like Cap or Widow's uniforms. And the best part is, they have finally made possible something very popular in Spidey: his living mask's eyes!! I know many of you think that is stupid, but I always saw this as an interesting feature of Spidey, alowing us to figure how Spidey must feel under the mask. The eyes of Spidey's mask in previous movies didn't allow us to feel that way. I suppose they adapted the same tech used for Deadpool's eyes in his movie.

The bad things for me:
    + The spider logos of his back and chest are bad drawn. (The back can be seen for a very short moment). They should be more similar to the modern versions in other movies.
    + Taking Cap's shield and puting him some web-handcuff is not the best scene for Spidey to make his debut. (I can imagine Jameson making use of this).
    + "Underoos!". Seriously, sometimes I would like to break Tony's face with a puch, right after removing his armor. At least Spidey doesn't need help to get dressed.

I really can't wait for the next trailer, because it will surely have more scenes with Spidey. I'm pretty sure what will be Spidey's role in the movie. He will be the "common sense", just like in the episode of "Avengers Assemble", "Avengers Disassemble". While Iron Man and Cap's teams keep punching each other like stupidheads, Spidey is the only one who didn't forget that "with great power, comes great responsibility". So, he will end tangling both teams with his webs to make them realize that the bad guys (Zemo's men) are about to cause a disaster, so they have to stop fooling around and do what heroes must do.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post

The bad things for me:
    + The spider logos of his back and chest are bad drawn. (The back can be seen for a very short moment). They should be more similar to the modern versions in other movies.
    So, the emblems on Marvel's version of Spider-Man should look more like the Sony versions rather than the actual source material?
    This new version of the costume, is 10x closer to the comics and what Spidey is supposed to look like than any of the previous films.
    I've been waiting to see the big red tick/mite spider on his back since the first film, and finally, they have done it right!

(A) I watch trailers for movies I have no initial interest in watching all the time. I do it, in part, because there's always the chance my initial impression is wrong and I want to see if there's anything there that might actually make me want to watch the movie. Also, because they can be a good way to kill a couple minutes of boredom. (B) At this point, Spider-Man's presence in the trailer has, at most, only raised interest in the trailer. Whether it raised interest in the movie itself (and by how much) remains unknown, because we don't know how many of the people who watched the trailer were impressed enough by it to decide to see the movie (when they were previously not considering it). It's seems likely that at least some of the people who watched the trailer thought"eh, big deal" and walked away having no interest in seeing the movie. The argument that Spider-Man's presence has raised ticket sales remains an invalid one, simply because the only "evidence" being offered in support of it is youtube trailer hits, which has nothing whatsoever to do with ticket sales.

Is it possible, even likely that Spider-Man could help ticket sales? Sure. But to definitively declare that he already has helped ticket sales based solely on trailer views is wildly speculative and premature.
    A) ive never watched a trailer for something I had no interest in seeing to begin with. So lets file both under anecdotal.

Forget youtube thats something that came in later. I say it shows spiderman raises interest in the movie at the very least. Whatever lets move past youtube
    The arguement was Spiderman wouldnt raise tickets sales. Do you think Wonder Womans pressence in Batman v Superman will have zero effect on what ticket sales woulda been without her in the movie? (These are questions we will never know the answers too but reasoning can be applied) because you cant compare Spidermans popularity to Wonder Womans. Kids give two sh*ts bout Wonder Woman, yet they worship spiderman. The only argument i can see being made that spidey wont effect ticket sales at all is if you think this movie was already gonna have maximum profit. That literaly anyone who would go see a comicbook movie was gonna go see it, therefore spidey cant help. Otherwise there is no way a guy whos worst movie made 700mil doesnt have an impact of some kind.