Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default SPIDER-MANDATE: Lowe Delivers a State of the Spider-Verse Address, Part 2

Spider-Man group editor Nick Lowe concludes his overview of all things Spidey and brings along exclusive artwork.

Full article here.

BANNED

I love Camuncoli's eye for action sequences.

Mighty Member

Don't get me wrong... I love Spider-Woman's direction... but it was always puzzling why they chose Spider-Woman for this story when Jessica Jones already has a baby... Again, I am glad that our heroes are able to grow up and grow into new roles, but I have also noticed that, at least historically, superheroes or even supporting characters don't fare too well as parents. The parents in question either disappear from the main stage of events aka Jessica Jones and Tigra, lose their child aka Cyclops, Spider-Man and Wasp, or the child is somehow forgotten about and swept under the rug aka Jane Foster's son or the kids Pepper Potts adopted way back when... Even the Fantastic Four went through some pretty crazy stories aimed to age the kids on the team while not aging their parents... so did the X-Men...

I guess I need more time to trust this story will end well and things will not revert to the status quo as soon as Dennis Hopeless goes exclusive for Image or something like that...
    Last edited by solletaire; 03-10-2016 at 02:41 PM.

BANNED

Kinda hard to do a pregnancy story after you've already had the baby, I imagine.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Kinda hard to do a pregnancy story after you've already had the baby, I imagine.
    True, but the pregnancy story lasted about 5 issues, and honestly we could have done without it... or we could have had flashbacks... There are options, just saying

"It's all coming up, but at it's core it'll remain one of the least predictable books on the market."

Too bad is gonna get cancelled before issue 12...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    True, but the pregnancy story lasted about 5 issues, and honestly we could have done without it... or we could have had flashbacks... There are options, just saying
    It was her learning to cope with being sidelined during her pregnancy. I don't think we needed the whole nine months, to be fair, so around 5 issues is a nice sample of her journey to motherhood. We did also have flashbacks, of course. But you want her dealing with danger that she can't just throw herself at like she used to.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    It was her learning to cope with being sidelined during her pregnancy. I don't think we needed the whole nine months, to be fair, so around 5 issues is a nice sample of her journey to motherhood. We did also have flashbacks, of course. But you want her dealing with danger that she can't just throw herself at like she used to.
    No, I get that... But I also think that trying to do things the way you used to when you can't and shouldn't is not limited to the time of pregnancy... I don't know, that's the way I see it... I would have preferred the same themes tackled with a Jessica Jones book and a different book starring Spider-Woman; Mostly because I like Jessica Jones and want to see her back in action; But also because I don't trust the Big Two with a long-term commitment to parent superheroes and I don't want Jessica Drew to be sidelined like Jessica Jones was...

Edit: I look at Marvel's usual synergy with the MCU. I also take into consideration how popular the Netflic Jessica Jones show was. At this point I have to ask myself if Jessica J. were not married with a kid in the comic book world, would we have seen a Jessica Jones comic by now?
    Last edited by solletaire; 03-10-2016 at 04:11 PM.

A shake up in web warriors? I hope spider man from Egypt joins up.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I think he died. In WW when they visit that world one of the Electros mentions that there shouldn't be a Spider-Man there.

Fantastic Member Venom Melendez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    Don't get me wrong... I love Spider-Woman's direction... but it was always puzzling why they chose Spider-Woman for this story when Jessica Jones already has a baby... Again, I am glad that our heroes are able to grow up and grow into new roles, but I have also noticed that, at least historically, superheroes or even supporting characters don't fare too well as parents. The parents in question either disappear from the main stage of events aka Jessica Jones and Tigra, lose their child aka Cyclops, Spider-Man and Wasp, or the child is somehow forgotten about and swept under the rug aka Jane Foster's son or the kids Pepper Potts adopted way back when... Even the Fantastic Four went through some pretty crazy stories aimed to age the kids on the team while not aging their parents... so did the X-Men...

I guess I need more time to trust this story will end well and things will not revert to the status quo as soon as Dennis Hopeless goes exclusive for Image or something like that...
    Because Drew's story is different from Jones'. They are two different kinds of mothers.
    Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post

I'm hoping for Lady Spider and Ashley Barton myself.

I don't think the baby will stick around for long. It's what always happens with babies in superhero stories. It's inevitable. Regardless of how they try to spin it or what they say I think they are aware that it is a story that has a very short lifespan, which is why they are dragging out the story about who the father is. They did that with Catwoman a while back. Once we knew who the father was the story just hit a brick wall. There wasn't much left to tell anymore. So the baby was given up for adoption and never seen again so they could write Catwoman without anything tying her down. I imagine something similar with happen with Spider-woman.

Spectacular Member

I'd like to see Jessica's father return and kidnap her son or Madame Hydra (way better than Skrulls)... then totally-new totally-different cause a universe reset. After all Marvel will need an excuse for new #1st soon.

Then this story will take the same continuity status of Spider-Woman Origins. It will be out there for people to read but mostly all retconned.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very well told story with great art... they just picked one of the worst characters to tell THIS story with. The Jessica Drew in every issue prior would have never had a kid. End of story.
    Last edited by LordRyus; 03-10-2016 at 05:35 PM.
    Current Pull List (updated for ANAD): Star Wars □ Darth Vader □ Lando □ Chewbacca □ Kanan □ uh... alot of ANAD but I still have decided what yet, lol

I think they have been doing a brilliant job with Jess.
    Last edited by Seren; 03-10-2016 at 06:08 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Spectacular Member

I quit reading Marvel during Civil War. I was burnt out on one event after another and that one really killed my love for the characters. For years, I hadn't read any Marvel titles.

Then came Spider-Gwen.

I loved the first run of Spider-Gwen. Her world seemed more like the Marvel Universe that I grew up reading. Plus, since she was in her own universe, I figured I wouldn't have to worry about cross-over event after cross-over event. I figured wrong.

I know she was created during an event, but I hoped that they would leave her alone after that. Then came Secret Wars and now Spider Women...

I give up, Marvel. Screw it. I'm gone and I'm not coming back. More money to spend on Image and Archie.