Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Spider-Man, #2

Miles must deal with surprising revelation in Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli's "Spider-Man" #2.

Full review here.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Can someone tell me who the villain is? I haven't really been reading this so I don't mind spoilers, but I'd be curious.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

spoilers:
    The villain is Blackheart, son of Mephisto. Also appearing is the Queenpin aka. EVIL!Black Cat, who will set out to try to kill Miles in Spider-Man #4 as a declaration of war against All that is Good..
    end of spoilers
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Incredible Member

I wonder if Bendis added that last punch from Miles to Blackheart in an effort to quiet myself and plenty of people who hate that stupid ass venom blast garbage. Still, it took like what, three or four blasts before the punch. Either way, what a travesty it is to see the grown and veteran Avengers get taken out by blackheart only to see Blackheart fall to Miles.

Yeah, i'm sure it was with you in mind that Bendis wrote that stuff.

Just to please you and people agreeing with you. Cause that's how he rolls.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Yeah, i'm sure it was with you in mind that Bendis wrote that stuff.

Just to please you and people agreeing with you. Cause that's how he rolls.
    Clearly I was being as sarcastic as your lovely reply. Keep defending a writer who's past his prime though. It suits you well.

BANNED

Despite what happened to Blackheart, this issue was better than the 1st.

However, it didn't have to accomplish much to do so.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Clearly I was being as sarcastic as your lovely reply. Keep defending a writer who's past his prime though. It suits you well.
    why are still read his book if he past prime

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by theshow07 View Post
    why are still read his book if he past prime
    Girlfriend is a completist. I gifted her the original trade collection of Volume 1. She's been collecting since. I'm forced to deal with it.

Art is spectacular, characterizations are great

And I love the way Miles reaction to the whole 'thing' people are making a "thing" is that it shouldn't a "thing" in the first place. #doh

I love this kid.

Maybe next time Ghost Rider has a problem, he should call up Miles to back him up after the job he did on Blackheart .

Fantastic Member

I am not a big fan of Bendis, but I do think that he has always been pitch perfect in his depiction of Spiderman - first with Ultimate Spiderman (Peter Parker) and now with Miles Morales. One observation: towards the end of Miles' Ultimate series, we discovered that Peter had survived his death at the hands of the Goblin. I'm assuming that version of the character is gone now, rolled into the new, consolidated MU, but it's a bit of a shame. Well, at least he got a happy ending.

Re: Blackheart: I don't know much about the character, but someone who can take out all the Avengers, including Thor, is clearly very formidable. Some explanation of why he was so susceptible to Miles' venom power should be forthcoming. Hopefully, this will be the basis of some future story. I can't believe someone like Blackheart would take that kind of humiliation without seeking retribution, and the fact he is a demon presumably means that he has ways of finding Miles and his family that ordinary supervillians do not. I like the idea of Miles freaking out over his contact with a demon. It reminded me of Ultimate Peter Parker's freakout when he first discovered that vampires were real in his world. It's good to see characters - especially young, inexperienced ones - having realistic reactions to the incredible new world they have joined.

Overall, another great issue. Looking forward to more.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    ....Some explanation of why he was so susceptible to Miles' venom power should be forthcoming...
    Yeah, I've always had the same question regarding his venom blast, but from what it seems, it has the same effect no matter who he uses it on, unless they have some type of healing factor or energy absorption. I just kind of suspected it's like a electric shock surging through the water in the body, so no matter how strong you are physically, it would still deliver a terrible amount of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Girlfriend is a completist. I gifted her the original trade collection of Volume 1. She's been collecting since. I'm forced to deal with it.
    You're really not forced to do anything.

All-New Member

While I did like the second half of the issue, I'm in agreement with the rest of you on the matter of Blackheart's defeat. It definitely felt more like Bendis trying to shove how awesome Miles is to the normal 616 going readers rather than an earned win. "Look how great Miles is! This big bad with a long history of being a legitimate threat who defeated the whole of the Avengers? Psh, that's nothing compared to the pure monstrous power and talent of Miles Morales!" "Look everybody, even Peter Parker, the Spider-Man you know and love, thinks his costume his better and he is cooler! You should probably love him and buy all our ****!".