Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WTNew View Post
    I quit reading Marvel during Civil War. I was burnt out on one event after another and that one really killed my love for the characters. For years, I hadn't read any Marvel titles.

Then came Spider-Gwen.

I loved the first run of Spider-Gwen. Her world seemed more like the Marvel Universe that I grew up reading. Plus, since she was in her own universe, I figured I wouldn't have to worry about cross-over event after cross-over event. I figured wrong.

I know she was created during an event, but I hoped that they would leave her alone after that. Then came Secret Wars and now Spider Women...

I give up, Marvel. Screw it. I'm gone and I'm not coming back. More money to spend on Image and Archie.
    So is it that it's an event or you don't like the premise of Spider-Women? 'Cause reading Marvel kinda comes with the assumption that you will have crossovers.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    So is it that it's an event or you don't like the premise of Spider-Women? 'Cause reading Marvel kinda comes with the assumption that you will have crossovers.
    Which is why I no longer read Marvel. Or DC for the same reason. Cross-overs often interrupt good storylines, and in the case of Spider-Gwen destroy the ambience of the title. Cross-overs are usually poorly planned, poorly written, and poorly executed, but the fan-boys love them for some reason so Marvel keeps doing them. Cross-overs make great jumping off points for readers old and new.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WTNew View Post
    Which is why I no longer read Marvel. Or DC for the same reason. Cross-overs often interrupt good storylines, and in the case of Spider-Gwen destroy the ambience of the title. Cross-overs are usually poorly planned, poorly written, and poorly executed, but the fan-boys love them for some reason so Marvel keeps doing them. Cross-overs make great jumping off points for readers old and new.
    I often feel I have a vastly different experience with crossovers. The larger ones are okay, with the fringe elements being the best ala Loki's Fear Itself storyline. Even the side-stories from Spider-Verse were enjoyable. Uses the main event as a basis and builds from there.

I'm exciting for the upcoming Spider-Women event.
    Spider-Gwen got me into comics and Silk became one of the first series I began to pull early on. Spider-Woman soon got added to that list. All three ladies have been great and different. I'm among a few lucky ones that this crossover event so happens to be within the three series I'm already pulling and loving. Earth-65 has my most interest for all the mysterious and new discoveries we might find there and based on what I read majority of this event will take place there.

I don't see how this event will "destroy the ambiance of the title" when majority of the conflict and setting is going to be from and on Earth-65. If anything this event can help add more not less for Earth-65 and the characters who live there. Plus it seems this event will affect the three gals making it apart of all three series. Unlike the Secret Wars which forced Spider-Gwen to be on hiatus (I found the series that was apart of the "Last Days" was the ones who was lucky in not being interrupted in there tales like many other had been).
    Depending on this event it might be a "must read" for all three series as how it affects all three characters and their actions afterwards plus hopefully be a fantastic story in and of itself and doesn't interrupted the story-lines but flows and be apart of their story-lines becomes a majority part of all three characters history. Yes a good deal of Cross-over are poorly made but the thing is we don't know how this story will affect the characters and their world's or overall quality and history till the story is told. This can be fantastic and a must read for all three charter's history in the future and placed in top five's greats or be a massive disaster. Passing judgment before the issues come out can be unfair. Once the issues have come out and some time passed can a more informative personal analyst of it all can done preformed and how it affected the characters.

Overall all three Spider-Women I'm a big fan of and I love their series and thus this small crossover event has me hopeful.

Incredible Member

Unhappy

How do you view Black Cat? Is she good, is she bad, is she playing her own game?

Black Cat is one of my favorite characters in comics, and she has been for some time. I love that she won't be defined. Even from the very beginning she has walked that grey area. And now she's on the dark side of that grey area in "Amazing Spider-Man," and as we move forward. But what it comes down to is we are very much committed to her as "the Queen-pin of Crime." We're not done with her story on this side of things, and it's given her new life with us as a character.

So many times fans of a character get upset when changes are made, and I get that. I'm a fan first and foremost myself as well. But when a character is just one thing, they're not as interesting to the writers and artists anymore. This is a new angle, and she's as important as she's ever been to Marvel Comics.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mauled View Post
    How do you view Black Cat? Is she good, is she bad, is she playing her own game?

Black Cat is one of my favorite characters in comics, and she has been for some time. I love that she won't be defined. Even from the very beginning she has walked that grey area. And now she's on the dark side of that grey area in "Amazing Spider-Man," and as we move forward. But what it comes down to is we are very much committed to her as "the Queen-pin of Crime." We're not done with her story on this side of things, and it's given her new life with us as a character.

So many times fans of a character get upset when changes are made, and I get that. I'm a fan first and foremost myself as well. But when a character is just one thing, they're not as interesting to the writers and artists anymore. This is a new angle, and she's as important as she's ever been to Marvel Comics.

The funny thing is that Marvel pretty much did this to itself with One More Day. Before One More Day, we had a relatively more mature Felicia Hardy who had come to love both Spider-Man and Peter Parker and regretted being too immature back during their romantic relationship to make it work with him, and was more than willing to help Peter in any and every way she could because she cared for him that much. Because of One More Day wiping out the knowledge of Spider-Man's dual identity from anyone that wasn't Spider-Man himself and Mary Jane Watson, Felicia ended up reset to the immature, amoral thrill-seeker she was in her first appearances, which of course doomed Spidey's efforts to restart their relationships to abject failure.

Of course, back in that period, removing the mask in front of someone who knew him would cause them to remember knowing his double identity, since it would negate the psychic blindspot put in place by what we would later discover to be Tony Stark's, Reed Richards's, and Stephen Strange's intervention following Aunt May's near-death after Spider-Man's public unmasking in Civil War. Why he didn't just do that for Felicia, I have no clue, except to speculate that Marvel was more interested in resetting Spider-Man to the 1970s/1980s status quo that it preferred for him, and a more mature and responsible Felicia that could have been a partner, confidant, and friend to Peter as much as she was a flirty, cleavage-y sex bomb temptress who encouraged him to let his hair down and get a little reckless was clearly not part of Marvel's plans for the web-slinger. And when you take into account Marvel's staunch refusal to restore or move forward with the character development for Spider-Man's most prominent still-living love interests that came before One More Day, this was pretty much the inevitable outcome, as horrid and repugnant as it is.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The funny thing is that Marvel pretty much did this to itself with One More Day. Before One More Day, we had a relatively more mature Felicia Hardy who had come to love both Spider-Man and Peter Parker and regretted being too immature back during their romantic relationship to make it work with him, and was more than willing to help Peter in any and every way she could because she cared for him that much. Because of One More Day wiping out the knowledge of Spider-Man's dual identity from anyone that wasn't Spider-Man himself and Mary Jane Watson, Felicia ended up reset to the immature, amoral thrill-seeker she was in her first appearances, which of course doomed Spidey's efforts to restart their relationships to abject failure.

Of course, back in that period, removing the mask in front of someone who knew him would cause them to remember knowing his double identity, since it would negate the psychic blindspot put in place by what we would later discover to be Tony Stark's, Reed Richards's, and Stephen Strange's intervention following Aunt May's near-death after Spider-Man's public unmasking in Civil War. Why he didn't just do that for Felicia, I have no clue, except to speculate that Marvel was more interested in resetting Spider-Man to the 1970s/1980s status quo that it preferred for him, and a more mature and responsible Felicia that could have been a partner, confidant, and friend to Peter as much as she was a flirty, cleavage-y sex bomb temptress who encouraged him to let his hair down and get a little reckless was clearly not part of Marvel's plans for the web-slinger. And when you take into account Marvel's staunch refusal to restore or move forward with the character development for Spider-Man's most prominent still-living love interests that came before One More Day, this was pretty much the inevitable outcome, as horrid and repugnant as it is.
    Wow, what a compelling character(sarcasm). And more importantly demeaning and subservient, more so than MJ because you basically confirmed Felicia exists in service of Peter as a booty call and a servant to his manly short comings. Why do Spidey fans think so less of women as nothing more than Spidey version of Bond Girls who exist because of Spidey's benefit to grow from them, thats so sexist. At least Felicia finally has a role seperate from Peter as a new detatched concept as a crime boss, it's more than she's ever been allowed to develop outside of being breast express to Spidey and exists to make Spidey look good. I never thought she make as a hero either, she's one of the few ambiguous wild cards in the Spidey world, everyone else is black and white in their role, Felicia was a neutral as they come.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    I'm exciting for the upcoming Spider-Women event.
    Spider-Gwen got me into comics and Silk became one of the first series I began to pull early on. Spider-Woman soon got added to that list. All three ladies have been great and different. I'm among a few lucky ones that this crossover event so happens to be within the three series I'm already pulling and loving. Earth-65 has my most interest for all the mysterious and new discoveries we might find there and based on what I read majority of this event will take place there.

I don't see how this event will "destroy the ambiance of the title" when majority of the conflict and setting is going to be from and on Earth-65. If anything this event can help add more not less for Earth-65 and the characters who live there. Plus it seems this event will affect the three gals making it apart of all three series. Unlike the Secret Wars which forced Spider-Gwen to be on hiatus (I found the series that was apart of the "Last Days" was the ones who was lucky in not being interrupted in there tales like many other had been).
    Depending on this event it might be a "must read" for all three series as how it affects all three characters and their actions afterwards plus hopefully be a fantastic story in and of itself and doesn't interrupted the story-lines but flows and be apart of their story-lines becomes a majority part of all three characters history. Yes a good deal of Cross-over are poorly made but the thing is we don't know how this story will affect the characters and their world's or overall quality and history till the story is told. This can be fantastic and a must read for all three charter's history in the future and placed in top five's greats or be a massive disaster. Passing judgment before the issues come out can be unfair. Once the issues have come out and some time passed can a more informative personal analyst of it all can done preformed and how it affected the characters.

Overall all three Spider-Women I'm a big fan of and I love their series and thus this small crossover event has me hopeful.
    i just don't have the room to constantly shove random titles on my list because of crossovers

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Wow, what a compelling character(sarcasm). And more importantly demeaning and subservient, more so than MJ because you basically confirmed Felicia exists in service of Peter as a booty call and a servant to his manly short comings. Why do Spidey fans think so less of women as nothing more than Spidey version of Bond Girls who exist because of Spidey's benefit to grow from them, thats so sexist. At least Felicia finally has a role seperate from Peter as a new detatched concept as a crime boss, it's more than she's ever been allowed to develop outside of being breast express to Spidey and exists to make Spidey look good. I never thought she make as a hero either, she's one of the few ambiguous wild cards in the Spidey world, everyone else is black and white in their role, Felicia was a neutral as they come.
    1) You misread Huntsman Spider. He's saying that Marvel was clearly more interested in making Felicia a temptress, sex bomb than maturing her and making her Peter's friend who knew his identity. He's complaining about Marvel reducing her to a demeaning position.

2) There is nothing neutral or ambiguous about Felicia as she is now.

3) Spidey fans do not think less of women. Unless you're saying being a wife or being a loyal friend to a man are lesser positions, in which case that says more about you.

Any way, I'll be checking out the Spider-Women event if I can. I'll try to catch up with Jessica's series as well. Interested in what they'll do with the baby.

Incredible Member

Lol considering that you have openly called the character a bitch previously, you now saying this is actually kind of funny.
    And for the record I find the whole evil slut trope even more demeaning.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    1) You misread Huntsman Spider. He's saying that Marvel was clearly more interested in making Felicia a temptress, sex bomb than maturing her and making her Peter's friend who knew his identity. He's complaining about Marvel reducing her to a demeaning position.

2) There is nothing neutral or ambiguous about Felicia as she is now.

3) Spidey fans do not think less of women. Unless you're saying being a wife or being a loyal friend to a man are lesser positions, in which case that says more about you.

Any way, I'll be checking out the Spider-Women event if I can. I'll try to catch up with Jessica's series as well. Interested in what they'll do with the baby.
    1. I acknowledge that, another ally dynamic with Peter is really redundant and predictable to my tastes. Felicia was a thirf and a damn good one too, build from that, not every character with a interesting background and a multilayered character has to be sympathetic friend to peter, look at doom for example.

2. Yes there is, like ot or not villians can be used for great stories in an unconditional sense, we don't know how far Felicia sets a bar to what kinda of villian she wants to be. Im sure shee wont be as bad as osborn or octavius(pre bnd).

3. Please don't call me out and assume that my real life is based on your opinion, thats rude.

1. I acknowledge that, another ally dynamic with Peter is really redundant and predictable to my tastes. Felicia was a thirf and a damn good one too, build from that, not every character with a interesting background and a multilayered character has to be sympathetic friend to peter, look at doom for example.

2. Yes there is, like ot or not villians can be used for great stories in an unconditional sense, we don't know how far Felicia sets a bar to what kinda of villian she wants to be. Im sure shee wont be as bad as osborn or octavius(pre bnd).

3. Please don't call me out and assume that my real life is based on your opinion, thats rude.
    1) how is her bein an ally redundant, but making her a villain not? Especially, when she is yet another character who has gone from friend/acquaintance to enemy? Also, Doom's currently an ally for Tony in Iron Man.

2) Felicia has made it crystal clear she has zero boundaries right now and that there are no lines she won't cross. If she's not as bad as Osborn or Octavuis she's getting close. She's attempt pyre kill Peter, as well as Aunt May and killed a scientist in Hawkeyes vs Deadpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post

The status quo with Felicia prior to One More Day was nice, but it wasn't exciting. Sacasa's book was easy to ignore, and the Kevin Smith mini took a dip in quality after a three year break. Millar's Marvel knights run was really good, but she was one of many characters there.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I really don't wanna read about a "mature" Black Cat. She helped him out during BND, but she still also did her own thing because, hey, it's fun and she digs thrills. And I usually hate that male characters have this effect on female characters where they learn they were really just always hurt on the inside and wanted nothing more than to settle down with a nice guy like him. Not everyone wants a family and a white picket fence and whatever society expects because we're a little older and we're supposed to "mature".

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I really don't wanna read about a "mature" Black Cat. She helped him out during BND, but she still also did her own thing because, hey, it's fun and she digs thrills. And I usually hate that male characters have this effect on female characters where they learn they were really just always hurt on the inside and wanted nothing more than to settle down with a nice guy like him. Not everyone wants a family and a white picket fence and whatever society expects because we're a little older and we're supposed to "mature".
    I don't think that's what anyone really wants for Felicia. Some just don't like this current take.

And I think the reverse has been done with male characters as well. See Octavius and Anna Maria and Stature before that.

And mature doesn't always mean flawless.