Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ManSinha View Post
    As has been stated multiple times - this is not the first time Superman has been written de powered - but his personality has never taken such a hit - I agree Superman should be Superman even without his powers and a gentleman does not treat his loved ones the way he was depicted as treating Diana and others

Even given that these are over the top fantastical heroes - they are still read by humans - and that characterization cratered and badly so
    I am honestly surprised Yang was not fired immediately and that the Editor is keeping their job when one considers what a mess has been made of the line

Re reading the statistics - DC was beating Marvel when the New 52 was started - not sure Rebirth is going to do that for them again
    Superman is in desperate need of a new editorial staff. sadly i dont think that's going to happen any time soon. Berzanga has his talons tightly gripped to the editor's chair (with odd rumors that he has info on the DC higher ups that keeps him in his position of power). the Superman books will continue to drown in mediocrity and endless crossovers well into Rebirth.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Superman is in desperate need of a new editorial staff. sadly i dont think that's going to happen any time soon. Berzanga has his talons tightly gripped to the editor's chair (with odd rumors that he has info on the DC higher ups that keeps him in his position of power). the Superman books will continue to drown in mediocrity and endless crossovers well into Rebirth.
    I have a bad feeling that you're right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    seems really hard that he will leave superman comics, his work on superman and earth 2 were horrible

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Re-reading the arc only highlights how wildly disjointed and inconsistent Kal's characterization and personality were through the SUPER titles. The biggest disconnect of course lies in Tomasi and Yang's incongruous depictions of Diana and Kal's romantic relationship and its status as well as the lack of any reasonable explanation for the rift that developed between Diana, who saw herself as Kal's lover and "sentinel," and Kal's wildly disproportionate response to her supposed "lie." I had hoped Pak's reference to Savage's influencing Kal's anger would have explained why he had acted like such a jerk to both Diana and Lois but we didn't even get that in ACTION #50. And I have lost all faith in anything that Yang and Berganza concoct for Superman. It's best if this arc and Yang's run just never happened at all.
    We'll have to agree to disagree then, as I think his behavior is perfectly reasonable and consistent throughout.

A major change takes place in his life involving the loss of his powers and the breaking of trust by a friend (Lois). He needs -- and asks for -- space in his relationship with Diana. Not only does she not give it to him, she goes behind his back to help him. Anyone in a relationship has presumably experienced something similar in their lives: the request for space and a well-intentioned friend or loved one who doesn't give it to you because they really want to help. How others may respond to it I can't say, but I know I've been annoyed when my friends have gone against my wishes and intervened anyway. Nothing in Superman's response or behavior was unusual or out of the ordinary in that regard.

Same with his response to Lois. He's trusted her with his biggest secret and she decides to use that information to help him in the heat of the moment -- but in doing so undermines everything he's worked for, for years. Lana's punching Lois is completely the right reaction, since it shows a lack of faith in Superman's ability to handle the threat he was facing (and at this point he's presumably faced worse than a bunch of robots draining his power). Again, her well intentioned efforts don't give her a pass, and his irritation (especially in comparison to his relationship with someone like Lana) is comprehensible.

I think the story and its characterization has been fine, especially in retrospect when the arcs are read in a whole rather than piecemeal as they were published.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree then, as I think his behavior is perfectly reasonable and consistent throughout.

A major change takes place in his life involving the loss of his powers and the breaking of trust by a friend (Lois). He needs -- and asks for -- space in his relationship with Diana. Not only does she not give it to him, she goes behind his back to help him. Anyone in a relationship has presumably experienced something similar in their lives: the request for space and a well-intentioned friend or loved one who doesn't give it to you because they really want to help. How others may respond to it I can't say, but I know I've been annoyed when my friends have gone against my wishes and intervened anyway. Nothing in Superman's response or behavior was unusual or out of the ordinary in that regard.

Same with his response to Lois. He's trusted her with his biggest secret and she decides to use that information to help him in the heat of the moment -- but in doing so undermines everything he's worked for, for years. Lana's punching Lois is completely the right reaction, since it shows a lack of faith in Superman's ability to handle the threat he was facing (and at this point he's presumably faced worse than a bunch of robots draining his power). Again, her well intentioned efforts don't give her a pass, and his irritation (especially in comparison to his relationship with someone like Lana) is comprehensible.

I think the story and its characterization has been fine, especially in retrospect when the arcs are read in a whole rather than piecemeal as they were published.
    Thank you, Ishmael, for articulating what I couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post

How interesting.

And you DO raise a very valid point.

Agreed that the powering was as unsatisfying as the end of the Doomed story. So he flys into the Fortress and that does it? This was such an "deus ex machina" ploy that I had to double check to see if Richard Reed was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Agreed that the powering was as unsatisfying as the end of the Doomed story. So he flys into the Fortress and that does it? This was such an "deus ex machina" ploy that I had to double check to see if Richard Reed was involved.
    Absolutely. A very lazy resolution. I love Pak but the way he handled the restoration of Superman's powers? Not so much.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I didn't even get how he got his powers back....save everyone...fall to his death...then POOF! Has his old suit on and his is old Supes again....wtf?!
    Come join in the Love for He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun!http://community.comicbookresources....49#post1797949

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    I didn't even get how he got his powers back....save everyone...fall to his death...then POOF! Has his old suit on and his is old Supes again....wtf?!
    The Fortress fixed Kal and BAM! He's Superman again complete with the cape that was ripped to shreds and the body armor.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    The Fortress fixed Kal and BAM! He's Superman again complete with the cape that was ripped to shreds and the body armor.
    Well, remember, his suit (and perhaps the cape) are Kryptonian nanotech. If the fortress can take it violently, it can give it back just as easily.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Well, remember, his suit (and perhaps the cape) are Kryptonian nanotech. If the fortress can take it violently, it can give it back just as easily.
    But why didn't it recognized Clark in issue 41?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    his last costume was made by alfred

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    But why didn't it recognized Clark in issue 41?
    Newsarama: Greg, can you explain the process of Superman getting back his powers? Did this bullet with the explosion of toxins kind of kill off the mutated cells? And then the Fortress of Solitude could do its work healing him?

Greg Pak: Yeah. Way back in the promo story we did, at the beginning of the "Truth" storyline, for Action Comics, Superman goes to the Fortress of Solitude trying to get himself charged back up. But the Fortress of Solitude doesn't recognize him. It refuses to let him in. And since he's not strong, he can't pound his way in. And it actually reabsorbs his cape and his uniform. And he's left abandoned outside the Fortress. It's a crushing moment.

What we eventually learn during the course of the storyline is that these machinations that Vandal has been undertaking to drain Superman's power have — it's based on Superman's cells mutating, and they're not processing the power of the Sun like they used to. And they also make him unrecognizable to the fortress.

But what happens during the course of the story is Superman undertakes this Kryptonite treatment in order to power himself up, and the Kryptonite kills off those mutated cells.

And then when Vandal shoots him, it sort of finishes the process.

Nrama: It's interesting that Superman has to hurt himself with Kryptonite before he can heal.

Pak: Yeah, it's this sacrifice that Superman made. He basically let himself be killed off in order to try to save the day. And it ends up stripping away those cells that made the Fortress not recognize him.

So in the end, that sacrifice actually lets the Fortress recognize him again, open up and bring him in and restore him. It's a sacrifice leading to restoration.

And ha-boom, he's back!

http://www.newsarama.com/28310-super...in-action.html

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Newsarama: Greg, can you explain the process of Superman getting back his powers? Did this bullet with the explosion of toxins kind of kill off the mutated cells? And then the Fortress of Solitude could do its work healing him?

Greg Pak: Yeah. Way back in the promo story we did, at the beginning of the "Truth" storyline, for Action Comics, Superman goes to the Fortress of Solitude trying to get himself charged back up. But the Fortress of Solitude doesn't recognize him. It refuses to let him in. And since he's not strong, he can't pound his way in. And it actually reabsorbs his cape and his uniform. And he's left abandoned outside the Fortress. It's a crushing moment.

What we eventually learn during the course of the storyline is that these machinations that Vandal has been undertaking to drain Superman's power have — it's based on Superman's cells mutating, and they're not processing the power of the Sun like they used to. And they also make him unrecognizable to the fortress.

But what happens during the course of the story is Superman undertakes this Kryptonite treatment in order to power himself up, and the Kryptonite kills off those mutated cells.

And then when Vandal shoots him, it sort of finishes the process.

Nrama: It's interesting that Superman has to hurt himself with Kryptonite before he can heal.

Pak: Yeah, it's this sacrifice that Superman made. He basically let himself be killed off in order to try to save the day. And it ends up stripping away those cells that made the Fortress not recognize him.

So in the end, that sacrifice actually lets the Fortress recognize him again, open up and bring him in and restore him. It's a sacrifice leading to restoration.

And ha-boom, he's back!

http://www.newsarama.com/28310-super...in-action.html
    Oh ok...There should have been a better build up to it.