Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Action Comics, #50

Greg Pak, Aaron Kuder, David Messina, Javi Fernandez, Bruno Redondo, Vicente Cifuentes, Gaetano Carlucci and Juan Albarran kick off the beginning of the end of the war against Vandal Savage in "Action Comics" #50.

Full review here.

Mighty Member

As a fan of the depowered Superman I'm not too happy to see him return to normal but sooner or later had to happen.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

I liked Pak's depowered Superman too and I thought the restoration of his powers was too quick and easy a fix. Putting that aside, I will miss Pak working on Superman big time.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

What I was disappointed about Truth was the fact that it could have been as many as 3 separate storylines running all at once, Superman fighting crooks like 1938 and all that Jazz. Too bad the editorial is shortsighted. Gonna miss Pak.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Okay, so people like the de-powered Superman. But here's the thing though: Grant Morrison did it better! Even if you're a fan of the de-powered Superman (I'm not), this was hardly the best version of that.

It's true, the Morrison Superman was better.

The issue was barely OK. Pak resorted to the same beats he already used in Doomed, and the quick resolution had no real emotional payoff. It is safe to say that the whole Superman depowered fiasco will be kindly swept under the rug. Good riddance (and take your "shirt costume" with you).
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

I had dropped all the Superman books half way through Truth but I picked up this issue because I wanted to see how Pak and Kuder said their farewell. overall I really enjoyed it. It's very bitter sweet. On one hand I'm happy Truth is coming to an end but on the other I'm very sad that Pak and Kuder are leaving. They both get Superman and could have been remembered as one of the better creative teams to work on the character in recent years but it seems like most off their run was bogged down by the endless crossovers. What I wouldn't give to see them have some more time on Action without any interference. In this issue alone they were able to capture the hope that Superman inspires in others. I absolutely loved Jimmy's line when Superman was telling him to run from the destruction, "none of us got through this last year by hanging around in the background. Every time there was trouble, I asked myself...What would Superman do?"

I wanted to see a better representation of him regaining his powers - as a contrast to the healed and completely mortal statement - it seemed rushed and not properly explained
    Also - would have loved some Diana/Kal interaction beyond "Can I suggest something Clark?"

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ManSinha View Post
    I wanted to see a better representation of him regaining his powers - as a contrast to the healed and completely mortal statement - it seemed rushed and not properly explained
    Also - would have loved some Diana/Kal interaction beyond "Can I suggest something Clark?"
    That's probably because it was. Truth was not popular in the long run and my guess is they had to jettison the original ending and replace it in time for Rebirth. This strikes me as something that was supposed to be a year long but was so unpopular they had to wrap it up quickly. Also, if people don't like a flying Superman with a costume, why are you reading the guy? Go read something else!

I think they always meant for him to get his powers back by issue 50, as it's a "milestone" issue and that would make a good story arc for it. And I think the return of his powers is less sudden than people realize: it's been building for several issues -- since his immersion in the kryptonite chamber. It's just that those two spread pages make it seem like it was rushed. But the whole "burning cells away thing" has been going on for several issues now -- it was just a matter of time 'til that passed.

Personally I changed my mind on the whole "Truth" storyline. I've been re-reading it in arcs (so the opening arc in Superman, then Action, then Superman/WW, then Batman/Superman, then back to Superman), and it actually reads really, really well. I think people were put off by the arcs unfolding simultaneously when they should be read in sequence. But reading it now as a steady progression of chapters that build on themselves, it's pretty cool. When Vandal Savage finally reveals himself to Superman in Batman/Superman -- after the previous events in Superman, Action, and Superman/WW -- where Superman has no idea whose behind this -- it's really nicely done.

I think if people were to go back and re-read it as it was clearly meant to be structured they might find it holds together better than it did when the single issues were appearing monthly.
    Last edited by Ishmael; 03-11-2016 at 09:03 AM.

I respectfully disagree. Re-reading the arc only highlights how wildly disjointed and inconsistent Kal's characterization and personality were through the SUPER titles. The biggest disconnect of course lies in Tomasi and Yang's incongruous depictions of Diana and Kal's romantic relationship and its status as well as the lack of any reasonable explanation for the rift that developed between Diana, who saw herself as Kal's lover and "sentinel," and Kal's wildly disproportionate response to her supposed "lie." I had hoped Pak's reference to Savage's influencing Kal's anger would have explained why he had acted like such a jerk to both Diana and Lois but we didn't even get that in ACTION #50. And I have lost all faith in anything that Yang and Berganza concoct for Superman. It's best if this arc and Yang's run just never happened at all.

There is one panel at the start perhaps where Savage says that Clark was infected by Wrath bringing out the worst in him
    I can only hope that if and when Clark grovels to Diana - that that is made paramount - front and center

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    The biggest disconnect of course lies in Tomasi and Yang's incongruous depictions of Diana and Kal's romantic relationship and its status as well as the lack of any reasonable explanation for the rift that developed between Diana, who saw herself as Kal's lover and "sentinel," and Kal's wildly disproportionate response to her supposed "lie." It's best if this arc and Yang's run just never happened at all.
    As has been stated multiple times - this is not the first time Superman has been written de powered - but his personality has never taken such a hit - I agree Superman should be Superman even without his powers and a gentleman does not treat his loved ones the way he was depicted as treating Diana and others

Even given that these are over the top fantastical heroes - they are still read by humans - and that characterization cratered and badly so
    I am honestly surprised Yang was not fired immediately and that the Editor is keeping their job when one considers what a mess has been made of the line

Re reading the statistics - DC was beating Marvel when the New 52 was started - not sure Rebirth is going to do that for them again

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Re-reading the arc only highlights how wildly disjointed and inconsistent Kal's characterization and personality were through the SUPER titles. The biggest disconnect of course lies in Tomasi and Yang's incongruous depictions of Diana and Kal's romantic relationship and its status as well as the lack of any reasonable explanation for the rift that developed between Diana, who saw herself as Kal's lover and "sentinel," and Kal's wildly disproportionate response to her supposed "lie." I had hoped Pak's reference to Savage's influencing Kal's anger would have explained why he had acted like such a jerk to both Diana and Lois but we didn't even get that in ACTION #50. And I have lost all faith in anything that Yang and Berganza concoct for Superman. It's best if this arc and Yang's run just never happened at all.
    First of all, each title should have had it's own semi-independent plot. More plot would mean more adventures of a depowered Superman acting similar to his original 1938 self, beating up and bringing gangsters to justice.

I agree, Superman has officially been relegated to a%^hole status for both canon versions. One of them locks people up for crimes that they haven't even committed yet, and another turns outright nasty and inconsistent in personality to those who tried to help him.