Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where to buy digital now?

Hi All,

I just wondered if anyone had suggestions on where to buy digital comics from now. As Comixology has scaled back what was a nicely convenient app, it seems like it could be a good chance to try somewhere else, but there literally does not seem to be anywhere as convenient as Comixology used to be. It's a shame in a way that any one vendor existed without any competition as it means that they can bring about changes that even if customers aren't happy with it's hard to do much about.

I used to really like Comixology - it was easy to use, there is no comic shop near where I live, I'm not a die hard collector so liked the non existent amount of room digital comics take up - plus if it wasn't for Comixology I would NEVER have got into comics. I had never bought a single comic before I got the app, even then it took me several months of having the app before I actually purchased a comic (I'm the type of person that needed it shoving in my face before I'd read!!). But then when I was in, I was in. Now I probably have a pull list of about 15 comics, which assuming I am not the only person to have done this, is a huge chunk of money for the industry (and Comixology), even if apple are taking their share, it is still a large amount that I would never have spent if I had to add in extra steps way back then when I started.

So I guess I was a little annoyed that they have changed their app, and even though I know apple probably aren't the best company in the world, I'm no fan of Amazon, therefore I really don't want to use the new system, which is really annoying as there are several comics I want from yesterday and I've still not read them . Unfortunately I think I know the answer but I just wondered if anyone knew of any other way of downloading digital comics as easily as it used to be with Comixology, I don't want all my old comics in a separate place, but I've always believed if you don't agree with what a company is doing you should no longer support them. I really don't want to download illegally, which I worry may occur more frequently now which can only harm the industry. I didn't used to think it wasn't too bad if someone downloaded a couple, decided if they liked the style and then started buying, but if it grows difficult to buy digital, it could well be likely some may stop paying for their comics all together.

Anyway, sorry, what started off as a simple question ended up with a rather large rant about a company's bad decision, which has probably been discussed here somewhere already! I just think it is sad that the company I loved for getting me into comics may not be doing the same for many people any more.

Does anyone else buy comics largely digitally? If so what are you doing now, sticking or ditching?

Pin the Comixology website to your mobile device's screen. One touch and you're there.

BANNED

Sometimes you can buy directly from the author. Ralph Snart Adventures can be bought from Marc Hansen. The Sound Of Drowning has one or two digital only comics as well. But the choices outside Comixology are slim, and I'm not a Comixology fan, so I haven't embraced digital yet. I've been thinking of getting a Kindle version of a comic off Amazon and seeing how I like that.

For Marvel and DC I just switched to their respective apps as they function like comixology used to. I'm not too sure if they still get a cut of purchases through those apps, though, so while it may solve the convenience issue it may not help your desire to not support the company.

For Image, you can buy directly from them. You can select various formats: PDF, ePub, CBR and CBZ. They are DRM free and work on most platforms.

http://imagecomics.com/store/comics
    http://imagecomics.com/about/digital-comics

Top Shelf Comics as well.

http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog...opshelfdrmfree
    Last edited by Brandon Hanvey; 05-01-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: link

Dark Horses App carries both Dark Horse and Dynamite titles.
    Image sell DRM free files on their site.

Honestly though, Comixology is still just as convenient as these.

Amazing Member

Smile

I'm fine with buying from the Comixology website, so they will still be getting my business. But if you aren't comfortable with doing that, as Bane suggested, you can use the individual publisher apps that are powered by Comixology's servers and still allow in-app purchasing. These include not just DC and Marvel, but Image, Boom, and IDW. As always, Dark Horse has their own app that includes in-app purchasing, and also contains comics from Dynamite.
    You can also buy Image comics direct from Image, although their website is EXTREMELY slow and they don't offer the HD comic files that you can get through Comixology. But the files can be backed up and read on any pdf reader app.
    iBooks has some comics and graphic novels, but the selection is limited and the reader experience is definitely a step back from the Comixology reader.

EDIT: And as I was writing this, others beat me to the punch on most of this.
    Last edited by Samurai32; 05-01-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    For Marvel and DC I just switched to their respective apps as they function like comixology used to. I'm not too sure if they still get a cut of purchases through those apps, though, so while it may solve the convenience issue it may not help your desire to not support the company.
    They're Comixology underneath, so I'd assume so. They still sync with the regular Comixology, too.

I stopped collecting comics in early '00s. At times I thought about getting back in to them, but didn't in large part because they just take up so much room. And I can't pull the trigger on getting rid of them.

So it was because of Comixology that I got back into buying issues last year.
    I have an Android and a Kindle and didn't notice any real change when buying yesterday. I take it's because my devices are Amazon or support Amazon stuff?

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Thanks for mentioning them. When I looked them up, they had a bunch of old comics I had wanted to read, but my local comic shop didn't have.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by dahllaz View Post
    I have an Android and a Kindle and didn't notice any real change when buying yesterday. I take it's because my devices are Amazon or support Amazon stuff?
    Bingo, this change only affected the ios app.

Amazing Member

Pretty much.
    For iOS devices, Apple charges 30% for each transaction made inside any app. This is fine for app developers who are selling their own products straight to customers, as Apple is the only middleman. It's seriously problematic, however, when the app is itself a retailer, as you then have an extra middleman taking a 30 percent cut for essentially processing payments. Apple doesn't allow such retailers to perform their own payment processing in order to avoid paying Apple's 30%, even if the retailer were to agree to charge a nominal fee for the app itself in order to cover Apple's hosting of the app. So the retailer has to decide whether they can make it work financially giving Apple 30% for each transaction. Comixology, as they are now or will soon be owned by Amazon, has decided to pull in-app purchasing on iOS devices to avoid paying that amount, so consumers on those devices have to use the web site to buy, and then sync back to the app to read.

EDIT: I'm talking about digital goods here. The rules are different for physical goods.
    Last edited by Samurai32; 05-01-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks for explaining that.

I'd gotten the email from Comixology that some things were changing, but I didn't really get what exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Pin the Comixology website to your mobile device's screen. One touch and you're there.
    Is much less intuitive than often said...at least the first time.
    Thanks for explaining that.

I'd gotten the email from Comixology that some things were changing, but I didn't really get what exactly.
    Yeah pretty muhc only the iOS user geot shafted. Is kind of unfair actually. WOuld have being less "hurt" if also android user suffered the same annoyiance as us. AH well. For now i just drop my shopper chart(is not that i'm all that fond of e-commerce through website to be honest...the app worked for me since it did not made me realize wha ti was doing..actually this change IS a good thing for my pocket as every bought is more ponderated and impulse based at all) a lil bit and wait if and when a challnger will approach to offer on iOS in app store and stuff similar to Comixology...

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    Is much less intuitive than often said...at least the first time.
    Ah, okay. I never bought anything through Comixology's app. It was/is always online through DCBS's Comixology storefront. They give you a 5% credit for every purchase.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.