Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rebirth: what we want from Rob Williams Suicide Squad

While we won't know everything about the Rebirth titles until the 26th, Jim Lee revealed last week that he will be working with current Martian Manhunter writer Rob Williams on Suicide Squad. While we don't have a lot of info on what his run will be like I'd like to talk about what people would like to see from him in this volume.

Here's what I want to see from his upcoming run on Suicide Squad:

1. Less Harley Quinn, Deadshot, and Captain Boomerang. I get that they are the A-team of the group, especially with the upcoming movie but I don't feel like there is a lot of peril with these characters who are on a team where they are expected to die on missions. I'd like to see some lesser known or even new villains to make things more tense. I'm not saying don't use them, just be a little more sparing with those three for when the story really demands it.

2. Get rid of Harley Quinn. I like her but I prefer her in her own ongoing solo, not to mention it's starting to really bug me how she can be in both prison and off doing her own crazy adventures as Landlady of coney island.

3. Use the rest of the DC universes covert/spy characters and organizations. More spyral and Midnighter are never terrible ideas.

Feel free to agree or disagree with any of my thoughts and opinions.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

More than 6 issues

Always Rakzo

Saw the news about Williams' arrival to the title and the first thing that came into my mind was: Meh.

The guy is not a bad writer per se and he can create some inventive premises (aside from Darkseid War: The Flash which was blatantly dumb because it tried to sound profound only to end-up contradicting itself). However, the guy is transparently obsessed with his own style by trying so hard to make his dialogue sound different that at times it ends-up being pretty awkward and for that reason I can't take his stories seriously. It's pretentiousness in its purest form.

This was especially disappointing because I've been enjoying what Tim Seeley was doing in the title, particularly the last issue where I feel he really hit his stride. Anyway, I hope he can avoid some of his ticks to try to deliver a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    While we won't know everything about the Rebirth titles until the 26th, Jim Lee revealed last week that he will be working with current Martian Manhunter writer Rob Williams on Suicide Squad. While we don't have a lot of info on what his run will be like I'd like to talk about what people would like to see from him in this volume.

Here's what I want to see from his upcoming run on Suicide Squad:

1. Less Harley Quinn, Deadshot, and Captain Boomerang. I get that they are the A-team of the group, especially with the upcoming movie but I don't feel like there is a lot of peril with these characters who are on a team where they are expected to die on missions. I'd like to see some lesser known or even new villains to make things more tense. I'm not saying don't use them, just be a little more sparing with those three for when the story really demands it.

2. Get rid of Harley Quinn. I like her but I prefer her in her own ongoing solo, not to mention it's starting to really bug me how she can be in both prison and off doing her own crazy adventures as Landlady of coney island.

3. Use the rest of the DC universes covert/spy characters and organizations. More spyral and Midnighter are never terrible ideas.

Feel free to agree or disagree with any of my thoughts and opinions.
    I can safely say I disagree with every point you made here
    1. is probably the most backwards rationale for the series since even Ostrander established a core group that more or less did every mission on the suicide squad.
    Harley, Deadshot,and Captain Boomerang are the stalworth members who should always be around.
    A movie is coming out feauturing these characters clearly the best thing to do is get them out of the comic because its not a tense suicide mission if the veterans don't die -_-

2. Is probably never going to happen and doesn't need to happen as both books and other titles like Deathstroke that crossover with Suicide Squad a lot basically allow Harley to do what she wants. The whole point of the suicide squad is to get these villains to work for the gov't which allows them clemency. In the Ostrander run Captain Boomerang was allowed outside of belle reve and got to keep his own apt. Why can't you assume Harley has the same deal?

3. Is nice but Grayson is over
    Aside from checkmate the suicide squad should have very little to do with the espionage community. They are not a black ops team after all they are a villainous kill squad.

I'd love to see some actual political grey areas featured in the DCU again. Have them do a mission in markovia or bilaya and have the backlash from whatever goes wrong effect the US homeland.

Astonishing Member

I see it as, fundamentally, a book about bad people doing good things, for a whole spectrum of reasons. That's the core of the book.

On top of that, I think built into the concept is a critique on the way we treat our prisoners, and American foreign policy. I don't feel we've ever really seen the former in a Suicide Squad, but we definitely have seen the latter.

Out of those three elements I think you can build a very interesting thematic core for your book. On the surface level, I think you gotta lean into over the top violence and wildly distinct character personalities. Bombast, in other words. Suicide Squad should be one bombastic book.

Rob Williams will do a great job, I'm sure, though I think Steve Orlando was probably the guy whose skill set was most aligned with the aesthetic of the comic. The best Suicide Squad story in years is going on in the Midnighter book right now, I think.

BANNED

How about an Amanda Waller who doesn't suck? I'd liked the character best in the pre-Flashpoint Secret Six series. More of that Amanda Waller, less of the boring Black Widow ripoff.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ugh, I really enjoyed Seeley's first two issues. The guy just can't catch a break outside of Revival and Hack/Slash. He better still be involved with Nightwing.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

What happened to Seely's SUICIDE SQUAD?

(***hopefully this means Seely is doing NIGHTWING and/or SUPERMAN***)

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I can safely say I disagree with every point you made here
    1. is probably the most backwards rationale for the series since even Ostrander established a core group that more or less did every mission on the suicide squad.
    Harley, Deadshot,and Captain Boomerang are the stalworth members who should always be around.
    A movie is coming out feauturing these characters clearly the best thing to do is get them out of the comic because its not a tense suicide mission if the veterans don't die -_-

2. Is probably never going to happen and doesn't need to happen as both books and other titles like Deathstroke that crossover with Suicide Squad a lot basically allow Harley to do what she wants. The whole point of the suicide squad is to get these villains to work for the gov't which allows them clemency. In the Ostrander run Captain Boomerang was allowed outside of belle reve and got to keep his own apt. Why can't you assume Harley has the same deal?

3. Is nice but Grayson is over
    Aside from checkmate the suicide squad should have very little to do with the espionage community. They are not a black ops team after all they are a villainous kill squad.

I'd love to see some actual political grey areas featured in the DCU again. Have them do a mission in markovia or bilaya and have the backlash from whatever goes wrong effect the US homeland.
    Ok I get your points, also I don't think I explained the 1st point as well I would have liked to. What I'm trying to say is that I get that they will be used because they are the biggest names on the team but perhaps we can try to focus on the rest of the team as well and not just those three. I hope that I've cleared up what I've said.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Bronze tiger!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Rebirth: what we want from Rob Williams Suicide Squad
    Well, nothing really. What I'd really like is more from Tim Seeley's Suicide Squad, and I'm disappointed that he's not keeping the title.

Oh well, I shall just have to make the best of the few issues we're getting. But the two issues Seeley and Ferreyra have done to date have made me jump back on the title for the first time since Ostrander last wrote it, and unless the Rebirth version gets very good word of mouth I'll quite possibly be jumping back off again and going off to read other things. That's nothing against either Williams or Lee; it's just that the current creative team struck a chord with me, and produced a title that was very much to my tastes.

So the one essential the next version will need is as good an opening as New Suicide Squad #17 as a sales pitch.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Bronze tiger!!!
    he really should be seen more with the squad.

Amazing Member

I haven't really had any exposure to Williams' work, so there's no particular excitement from me on his joining the book. Unfortunately, Wesley and Ferreyra were always only meant to be temporary.

In general, to me, the Suicide Squad should be a nexus of the DCU, much like it was under Ostrander: http://www.examiner.com/article/ostr...ing-excellence

It should build off stories going on in other titles, the villains in particular, and the team should be used to help expand on areas of the DCU that don't have a regular presence.

Honestly to me this really seems like a lateral shift from Seeley, so I'm game for anything Williams.

Also NSS #18 was pretty frickin' great.
    Last edited by napolid; 03-11-2016 at 09:19 PM.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I was hoping Seeley was going to be sticking around on this book. This may mean I'll be out yet another book due to Rebirth. Boy is my current DC pull list really taking a pounding but on the up side maybe this means Seeley will be the writer for Nightwing and if he is then that would put an end to my concerns over Dick returning to that role.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 03-11-2016 at 10:30 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG