Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Steve Orlando, Doc Shaner, and Jesus Merino go DC Exclusive

Congrats to them, and to DC for making such a great set of choices.

Particularly enthused by Steve and Doc, who are both at the top of the game right now.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Here's a link to the announcement, has some quotes from all three of 'em.

Astonishing Member

Interesting thing about these contracts is that they are full and true exclusives, a rarity in comics.

"According to DC's wording of these contracts, the three creators are truly "exclusive" to DC and Vertigo with no outside work permitted. Previous "exclusive" deals with Marvel and DC have generally permitted outside work-for-hire and creator-owned work as long as it wasn't for Marvel (for DC exclusives) and DC (for Marvel exclusives)."

With artists this tends to be the norm, as there are huge limits to what they're able to produce anyway, but this apparently means that all of Steve's creator owned stuff will go through Vertigo. Interesting.

Super Moderator

Default Steve Orlando, Evan "Doc" Shaner and Jesus Merino Sign Exclusive Contracts with DC Comics

On the heels of the "Rebirth" announcement, Orlando, Shaner and Merino are the latest to join DC Comics' stable of exclusive creators.

Full article here.

Incredible Member

I love Doc Shaner so I hope this leads to some really good stuff for him.

Great news. Orlando has done some fantastic work on Midnighter.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Interesting thing about these contracts is that they are full and true exclusives, a rarity in comics.

"According to DC's wording of these contracts, the three creators are truly "exclusive" to DC and Vertigo with no outside work permitted. Previous "exclusive" deals with Marvel and DC have generally permitted outside work-for-hire and creator-owned work as long as it wasn't for Marvel (for DC exclusives) and DC (for Marvel exclusives)."

With artists this tends to be the norm, as there are huge limits to what they're able to produce anyway, but this apparently means that all of Steve's creator owned stuff will go through Vertigo. Interesting.
    doesn't steve have a image comic he just started? I think it was just bad wording in that press release.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Nice, I guess we're finally seeing an actual renovation of voices inthe DCU, and with guys that are talented enough to both write great stories and do some world-building. (AS much as Johns benefits from continuity when he wants to, we just saw that creating a status quo from scratch was not a well suited task for him.)

Axious to see what these guys are working on.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Orlando and Shaner are huge gets. Hopefully Orlando is put in some high profile books as well as an Authority relaunch or Apollo & Midnighter ongoing (one can dream LOL).

Great news! Orlando is amazing writer, can't wait for his new book.

Some good gets, i'm glad Orlando will still be though I wish he would get to stick with Midnighter.

Spectacular Member

That Flash cover is by Ivan Reis, Joe Prado, and Alex Sinclair.

Nothing to do with Merino.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    doesn't steve have a image comic he just started? I think it was just bad wording in that press release.
    IIRC, his most recent release through Image was the Virgil GN, and that was a Kickstarter book first. Outside of a couple of short stories and back-ups, I don't think he has any comics work outside of DC at the moment.

Very interesting, though. I suspect this "true" exclusivity is to prevent creators from more immediately spinning notoriety from their DC work into projects at Image, Boom, etc as we've been seeing. If readers want work from a certain creator, they'll have to come to DC to get it. It also means DC gets their entire work focus.

Extraordinary Member

After the awesome job Orlando did on that Shazam one-shot, I would wholeheartedly support an Orlando-Shaner Shazam ongoing.

Kinda odd that Shaner was made exclusive and yet will be saddled with a Hanna Barbara book. I mean im sure itll b good but its not really one of DCs higher profile books.