Mighty Member

Default Renew your vows and Scarlet Spider

I know they just ended.Do you think they ended because of Spidergeddon because there in it and might return in jan or is it about sales

BANNED

Sales. The two had been bleeding readers for a considerable while. RYV did better before the time jump

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    I know they just ended.Do you think they ended because of Spidergeddon because there in it and might return in jan or is it about sales
    Sales. They were both selling terribly, especially SS.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Sales. The two had been bleeding readers for a considerable while. RYV did better before the time jump
    The aging was a mistake.

I wasn't crazy about the art in the recent RYV issues. If the story had more energy and momentum maybe I could deal with it. Scarlet Spider lost me after the Damnation tie-in.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    The aging was a mistake.
    I couldn't agree more. They had a chance to go in a previously unexplored direction but instead created Spider-Girl 2.0 guest starring Spider-Man.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

There's a chance both collections will restart after Spider-Geddon, so we will have to wait for January 2019's Solicitations for Marvel Comics. Personally, I want to see more of the Spider-Family. And after seeing what happened to Ben Reilly (the Jackal killing him over and over and over), I believe to kill him once more is a big NO for his character.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    There's a chance both collections will restart after Spider-Geddon, so we will have to wait for January 2019's Solicitations for Marvel Comics. Personally, I want to see more of the Spider-Family. And after seeing what happened to Ben Reilly (the Jackal killing him over and over and over), I believe to kill him once more is a big NO for his character.
    Same here. If Spider-Girls does well enough and Spinneret-MJ gets a positive role and reception in the main event, we could end up seeing a new RYV volume, though I really hope Marvel doesn't do to them what was done to the MC2 Spider-Family. As for Ben Reilly, my hope is that he and Kaine Parker get spun off into a shared Scarlet Spiders title by Christopher Priest or Chris Yost or even J.M. DeMatteis. Maybe Peter David or Christos Gage could be good choices, too, but Yost and DeMatteis are on my short list, along with Priest since Priest does well with anti-heroes and the moral gray zones they tend to operate in.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 10-07-2018 at 02:14 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I couldn't agree more. They had a chance to go in a previously unexplored direction but instead created Spider-Girl 2.0 guest starring Spider-Man.
    I'm with you.

Liking your Scarlet Spider creative team suggestions also.

I mentioned this before, but I could see SS getting rebranded as Ben Reilly: Spider-Man. With Peter, Miles, Miguel, and Ock already using the moniker, why not Ben? Then Kaine can have Scarlet Spider all to himself again.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I'm with you.

Liking your Scarlet Spider creative team suggestions also.
    Thanks. Yost and DeMatteis are already proven to have done excellent character work with Kaine and Ben, PAD did pretty good with what he had to work with after The Clone Conspiracy, Priest has a solid body of work regarding anti-heroes and moral grayness, and Gage is pretty solid as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    I mentioned this before, but I could see SS getting rebranded as Ben Reilly: Spider-Man. With Peter, Miles, Miguel, and Ock already using the moniker, why not Ben? Then Kaine can have Scarlet Spider all to himself again.
    Hmm, I do like the idea of a Scarlet Spiders title starring Ben and Kaine, but Ben Reilly: The Sensational Spider-Man sounds very good as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thanks. Yost and DeMatteis are already proven to have done excellent character work with Kaine and Ben, PAD did pretty good with what he had to work with after The Clone Conspiracy, Priest has a solid body of work regarding anti-heroes and moral grayness, and Gage is pretty solid as well.
    It’s a bit forgotten now, but Gage wrote Ben pretty well during his Spider-Man/X-Men mini series (issue#3), which came out in 2008 or 2009. He was actually the first person to write Ben since his death in 1996.

Yost and JM DeMatteis are both great. You’d get different takes depending on the writer, but both have shown they know how to write about the “tortured clone searching for his own identity” very well. What is JM doing these days? Haven’t seen a writing credit by him since the early 2000s, but I know he’s active on social media. I’m sure he’d love to write Ben and Kaine again.

I like PAD a lot, but I’m ready for a different take now that this current SS series is winding down.

Not a fan of Priest, sorry.

Hmm, I do like the idea of a Scarlet Spiders title starring Ben and Kaine, but Ben Reilly: The Sensational Spider-Man sounds very good as well.
    I loved Ben as Spidey, but to me that era can’t really be repeated except maybe in an “untold tales” way. I think it’s okay to have two Scarlet Spiders, but there probably should only ever be one Spider-Man at a time. I’m one of those people that thinks even Miles should get his own identity.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    It’s a bit forgotten now, but Gage wrote Ben pretty well during his Spider-Man/X-Men mini series (issue#3), which came out in 2008 or 2009. He was actually the first person to write Ben since his death in 1996.

Yost and JM DeMatteis are both great. You’d get different takes depending on the writer, but both have shown they know how to write about the “tortured clone searching for his own identity” very well. What is JM doing these days? Haven’t seen a writing credit by him since the early 2000s, but I know he’s active on social media. I’m sure he’d love to write Ben and Kaine again.

I like PAD a lot, but I’m ready for a different take now that this current SS series is winding down.

Not a fan of Priest, sorry.

I loved Ben as Spidey, but to me that era can’t really be repeated except maybe in an “untold tales” way. I think it’s okay to have two Scarlet Spiders, but there probably should only ever be one Spider-Man at a time. I’m one of those people that thinks even Miles should get his own identity.
    Last I recall, J.M. DeMatteis worked for DC on Justice League Dark, Justice League 3000/3001, and Blue Beetle (DC Rebirth series), all of which were fairly recent titles within the last five or so years. Still active, just not doing a lot of Marvel work, though he did come back for the Kraven/Kaine backup stories in Grim Hunt. Thanks for reminding me about Gage being the writer of X-Men/Spider-Man (I actually have that in TPB) and writing Ben Reilly as Spider-Man in the third issue, which was set in the 90s. I'm kind of disappointed in myself for forgetting that.

Fantastic Member

with RNYV i wnated spider-man with a family as his supporting cast, maybe teaching the duaghter how to use her powers and things like that.
    not spider-girl 2 with special guest star spider-man
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men