Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I also appreciate Superior Spider-Man. Furthermore I think Doc Ock as a full time Superior Spider-Man (say in either a cloned body, or a younger modified version of Doc's original form) acting in true anti-hero fashion would provide the kind of effective dark Spidey foil for Peter Eddie Brock's Venom was originally meant to be.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    ....The Superior run was the most refreshing and entertaining Spider-Man arc in decades, really one of the best ever in my opinion.....
    I agree completely with your assessment. In fact the Superior Spider-Man storyline is what go me back into reading Spidey related comics again, after a long absence (since the travesty that was OMD and its follow-up BND).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I absolutely LOVED Superior. Though the thing I didn't like was the inconsistent characterization between books. Slott wrote him as a supervillian inhabiting Spidey's body (which was true for the most part) while Gage wrote him as a man trying to redeem himself in his own way.

Regardless, I absolutely hate how he seems to be going back to his old villianous ways. Otto got a LOT of characterization during that arc and I don't wanna see it go down the drain.

I liked that he really tried to take Spider-man to the next level instead of just doing the same stuff as Peter.
    Hold my Annihilus- Johnny Storm

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    Regardless, I absolutely hate how he seems to be going back to his old villianous ways. Otto got a LOT of characterization during that arc and I don't wanna see it go down the drain.
    To be fair, the Otto that did get the Heel Realization got unpersoned. Living-Brain Otto is from his pre-epiphany stage.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    To be fair, the Otto that did get the Heel Realization got unpersoned. Living-Brain Otto is from his pre-epiphany stage.
    True. Going by Spider-Verse it's SpOck from SSM 18ish. Hopefully he has another Heel Realization. We see what he's capable of and the hero he COULD be. But to go back to Supervillian is just a step back IMO

Speaking of Spider-Verse was I the only one who was proud of the way Otto acquitted himself? Not sitting back sending hordes of Spiders to their deaths but actually leading his team into battle. As much as I love Peter I think Spock stole the show.
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    Speaking of Spider-Verse was I the only one who was proud of the way Otto acquitted himself? Not sitting back sending hordes of Spiders to their deaths but actually leading his team into battle. As much as I love Peter I think Spock stole the show.
    Oh, I loved that as well. I reckon if Slott had his way and it was a Superior story rather than an Amazing one, it would've been even better.

iMan 42s

Gotta say that I liked Otto's showing in Spiderverse. I'd agree that Otto stole the show during Spiderverse. Otto could mask the Spiders from the Inheritors, was studying them to find a way to take them down, was leading them in battle, and understood that they would never be safe from them so killing them was an option. At least with Otto he was working on a plan, everyone else did the heavy lifting for Peter.

#Superiorspiderarmy
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

At the end of Spider-Verse I was surprised and disappointed Otto could be taken down by a weakened Peter so easily, especially when he dispatched Jess and Anya with ease, then I remembered Ock is always two steps ahead of everyone else. He knew he couldn't win so he let Peter get over-confident and rush him through the portal before he realized 'hey, doesn't Otto still have futuristic technology on him?' It made Superior's final appearance more dignified in my opinion.

My favorite Amazing/Superior interchange:

For a long time I was wondering what Superior Spider-man's legacy would be. All of his ideas, his hard work, was it all for nothing? Most of the people he saved, murdered. His inventions, destroyed. His Spiderlings, dead. His company, Peter's company. His heroic deeds with super heroes, dismissed. Contributing most of the work in Spider-verse and Amazing gets all the credit. I felt sorry for him because in spite of how it appeared I believe he was truly trying to honor his promise to Peter in his way. And then I remembered, Sun Girl. Along with saving her life he also redesigned her weaponry, and knowing Otto probably made it more powerful. That weaponry was put to good use when in the New Warrior series she was able to take down The High Evolutionary, destroy his machine, and save every non human on the planet. So, Superior might be gone but part of him lives on. Here's to you, Octavius!

Also thought Superior Peter was refreshing. He received his PHD, formed his own company, had a stable relationship, and fixed Aunt May's leg, all in one year.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    True. Going by Spider-Verse it's SpOck from SSM 18ish. Hopefully he has another Heel Realization. We see what he's capable of and the hero he COULD be. But to go back to Supervillian is just a step back IMO
    Agreed. I'm hoping the Otto of SSM #30 who deleted himself is still around somehow, but even the Otto of SSM # 18 had some idea about "balancing the scales" of his former life (the brain surgery in SSM 8, or cleaning up Shadowland for example). I very much enjoyed the aspect of a former villain using his wits and resources to fight crime in a way that hadn't been done before, but the Otto of SSM # 18 is likely to make the same mistakes again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    For a long time I was wondering what Superior Spider-man's legacy would be. All of his ideas, his hard work, was it all for nothing? Most of the people he saved, murdered. His inventions, destroyed. His Spiderlings, dead. His company, Peter's company. His heroic deeds with super heroes, dismissed. Contributing most of the work in Spider-verse and Amazing gets all the credit. I felt sorry for him because in spite of how it appeared I believe he was truly trying to honor his promise to Peter in his way. And then I remembered, Sun Girl. Along with saving her life he also redesigned her weaponry, and knowing Otto probably made it more powerful. That weaponry was put to good use when in the New Warrior series she was able to take down The High Evolutionary, destroy his machine, and save every non human on the planet. So, Superior might be gone but part of him lives on. Here's to you, Octavius!
    A chill behind Peter's neck which goes all the way down to his spine and a constant reminder to himself that he needs to be more careful in the future.

Slott has been on the record as saying that Otto really WAS trying to do better and WAS trying to be the best hero he could be. He's just, you know, /not a very good person/ at his core.

I do hope Otto will get to retain those memories he lost when he deleted himself, though Peter's knowledge that Otto is capable of that kind of change, even if Otto himself isn't, could add something to their future exchanges.